• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    My girlfriend is thinking of buying a Marlin 1894 Cowboy lever-action rifle, but neither of us have any experience with this rifle and we'd like to try one before buying. Does anyone here have one? We'd be glad to pay for ammo and range time if you could bring your rifle to a range for us to try - anywhere from Delmarva to Hap Baker would work best for us. Anyone got one we can try?

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    what cal is she interested in? pistol cal or bigger? i have the 45-70 guide gun but thats mighty big for a first time shooter.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I have a 1894 in .357 but my schedule is in "major suck" mode for the next three weeks. After today, only three off days until Sept 3. Hap is closed Monday's and Tuesday's.

Right now a buddy and I have a tentative range session at Hap scheduled for 10/5.

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    She's interested in the .357, but we're headed out to a store now to fondle one. She's pretty small, so a pistol caliber is best and cheapest for now.

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    I have a 1894 in .357 but my schedule is in "major suck" mode for the next three weeks. After today, only three off days until Sept 3. Hap is closed Monday's and Tuesday's.

Right now a buddy and I have a tentative range session at Hap scheduled for 10/5.

We'd prefer something sooner, but if nobody else chimes in, we may want to tag along for this.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wish I could dealing with some things and can't break away

That said I think you will like them

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    We'd prefer something sooner, but if nobody else chimes in, we may want to tag along for this.

I am also close to Continental Arms, which could work for an after work meet or Free State.

In one of your previous posts you mention that your wife is small. To me, that doesn't matter unless she has arm/shoulder damage. A .38 Special round out of that gun doesn't kick hard. As long as she holds the gun properly, she should have no issues. There is a FAL builder who had photos of his six or seven year old daughter firing a full auto AK he built. (The guy has his 07/SOT licenses) He said that she could safely and accurately fire three shot bursts.

You can't use .38 wadcutter rounds in the Marlin, but I have some Winchester 130 gr flat point FMJ standard pressure ammo that is mild in the gun. The Federal 38C 158 gr standard pressure lead semi wadcutter load should have a little more kick, but not much, because of the heavier bullet.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Would she be interested to try a Marlin 39A in .22lr? It's also lever action and a fantastic shooter. My 1894 is in .44.

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    I am also close to Continental Arms, which could work for an after work meet or Free State.

In one of your previous posts you mention that your wife is small. To me, that doesn't matter unless she has arm/shoulder damage. A .38 Special round out of that gun doesn't kick hard. As long as she holds the gun properly, she should have no issues. There is a FAL builder who had photos of his six or seven year old daughter firing a full auto AK he built. (The guy has his 07/SOT licenses) He said that she could safely and accurately fire three shot bursts.

You can't use .38 wadcutter rounds in the Marlin, but I have some Winchester 130 gr flat point FMJ standard pressure ammo that is mild in the gun. The Federal 38C 158 gr standard pressure lead semi wadcutter load should have a little more kick, but not much, because of the heavier bullet.

Oh, her size isn't that much of an issue for these rifles we're talking about here. Someone earlier was asking about .45-70, that's why I mentioned her size. She can take on my ARs for hours on end, I have no doubt that she'll enjoy one of these, but when you start getting into .308 or 30.06, it starts being less fun for her.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I shoot at AAFG in their Cowboy Action group and have both a Marlin 1894 in .45 Colt and a Rossi Winchester 1892 in .38 Spl/.357 Magnum. I'd be willing to meet you there sometime if you'd like her to try mine.

Joe

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Chuck Connor - 'the rifleman'
    I don't know which rifle he uses, but I envision your girl shooting well!
    Good Luck!

nk02442

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 28, 2011
    I have a 1894C which is the .357Mag with Microgrove barrel. These command a premium and your best best is to scour pawn shops and used gun stores.

I installed a XS rail and have a PA microdot on it. Its an amazingly handy rifle and you can shoot .38's through it all day without breaking the bank. The leverution/hornady 140gr XTP is one nasty round and with a 16" rifle you could take deer to about 100 yards with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom