• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunlawyer

Jan 18, 2013
    Knoxville, MD
    An EHD Deformed 6 Pointer

This was a mercy kill from yesterday. I quit shooting bucks this small some time ago but decided to stray from my 100 gross inch minimum and put him out of his suffering (and burn a precious buck tag in the process). I can't imagine how the poor thing ate. I would estimate that he was 40 - 50 pounds under the weight he should have been. Not much meat there really compared others in the same age class in our area. Pretty bad EHD tongue deformity but somehow he still had enough gusto to chase two does past my stand, grunting as he went. Pretty gruesome! Poor little bugger!

EHD%20Damaged%206%20Pointer%2011%2014%202014.JPG

EHD%20Damaged%20Buck%2011%2015%202014%20pic%201.JPG

EHD%20Damaged%20Buck%2011%2015%202014%20pic%202.JPG

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    This was a mercy kill from yesterday. I quit shooting bucks this small some time ago but decided to stray from my 100 gross inch minimum and put him out of his suffering (and burn a precious buck tag in the process). I can't imagine how the poor thing ate. I would estimate that he was 40 - 50 pounds under the weight he should have been. Not much meat there really compared others in the same age class in our area. Pretty bad EHD tongue deformity but somehow he still had enough gusto to chase two does past my stand, grunting as he went. Pretty gruesome! Poor little bugger!

EHD%20Damaged%206%20Pointer%2011%2014%202014.JPG

EHD%20Damaged%20Buck%2011%2015%202014%20pic%201.JPG

EHD%20Damaged%20Buck%2011%2015%202014%20pic%202.JPG
    Where was this guy at

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

I need to look up EHD tongue. I shot one like that last year, but worse. I was wondering what was wrong with that thing. I'll see if i can dig up pics of it

ETA; heres some info on EHD. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epizootic_Hemorrhagic_Disease

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I'd be willing to bet if you contacted DNR they would issue you another buck tag. It's definetly worth the shot should a monster walk out in front of you in a couple days.

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    IMG_3428-Version2_zpsc3c58a17.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Finally got the monkey off my back for this year. I am so glad I passed on the doe this morning as I was looking to just come away with something. I saw a buck come through but was about 50 yards out and behind some brush. This guy came gunting and walked to about 35 yards in the open. He gave me a broadside shot, which I drilled him on. He went about 40 yards and crashed. First time I got a deer with a Spitfire Maxx, I think I am in love. The head did a number on him on the inside.

Last edited:

vinjet700

No one of significance
    Mar 1, 2013
    State of absolute disgust
    [/URL][/IMG]

Finally got the monkey off my back for this year. I am so glad I passed on the doe this morning as I was looking to just come away with something. I saw a buck come through but was about 50 yards out and behind some brush. This guy came gunting and walked to about 35 yards in the open. He gave me a broadside shot, which I drilled him on. He went about 40 yards and crashed. First time I got a deer with a Spitfire Maxx, I think I am in love. The head did a number on him on the inside.

Congrats.... Very nice :thumbsup:

I gotta get outta here to there.... :sad20:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    [/URL][/IMG]

nice buck, congrats!..got some character...sucks he broke off the one side...but still cool IMO. He was either a fighter or got hit/injured when it was still in velvet it looks like.

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    nice buck, congrats!..got some character...sucks he broke off the one side...but still cool IMO. He was either a fighter or got hit/injured when it was still in velvet it looks like.

Yeah, I didn't see the left side broken when he stopped to give me a shot. I only saw the right side and figured he was a 7 or 8 point. It looks like he snapped it off early in growth as it looks like the break was attempting to continue to grow out, there were little buds popping it if that makes sense. I am getting a European mount done on him, should look pretty cool on the wall in my man cave and give my wife one more thing to bitch about pertaining to hunting and guns!

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    some taxidermist can "fix" that...but I like leaving them like they were in their natural state.

I completely agree. That way they fall is the way I want to remember them. If he broke it crashing then I can see restoring that but he busted the rack early on. Hes got some character and will look good as a euro mount I think. Even though the left side is a bit lopsided, those brow tines make up for it in my mind.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    yep, a euro will look nice, I have a nice smaller 8pt and one of his brow tines got busted off. I had pics of him and another one that were almost identical. Both had small brow tines and a few days later the buck I shot had one busted off. I still like how it looks though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom