• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crocman

Local Warlord
    Oct 13, 2013
    Maryland Escapee
    I'm looking for someone in AA County who can provide training to my daughter and future S-I-L. Neither of them have much experience with firearms. I hope to get this all layed out as a Christmas gift.

Eventually, I plan to fund their handgun purchase for personal and home protection. Before I do, I'm insisting (and also plan to pay for) safety and handgun operation and marksmanship training. They will also need to meet the requirement for an HQL license, which I have no experience with because I am exempt from the HQL training requirement.

I've read a lot of threads here and obviously there are schedules all over the place. However, since I don't manage my kid's calendars, I'd like to find a single source, determine the costs, pay for appropriate training, and then step out and let them work with the instructor to schedule the time. They live in the Glen Burnie/BWI area and because of their work, this area is better, but not the most important factor.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Worth-A-shot on Veterans hwy, Millersville. Donna Worth is a retired Balt. City officer and apparently does a great job with the ladies with basic instruction.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Yeah, the people who say mags can't be carried loaded in a vehicle and sell binary targets. Not sure they understand the MD law component.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Yeah, the people who say mags can't be carried loaded in a vehicle and sell binary targets. Not sure they understand the MD law component.

I used them for Livescan and to review my application, seemed like nice folks.

The loaded magazine issue seems fairly common. I joined Berwyn Rod & Gun Club and was told the same thing during the range check. Apparently that's what the county police told them due to the gang element in some areas. They don't want an altercation at a stop light turning into someone loading a gun and things escalating.

While it's legal, you still might be running into misinformed LEO's and drama.
    I carry a copy of the letter someone posted on here from the SP addressing this question for that reason, but some folks can't be reasoned with.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I used them for Livescan and to review my application, seemed like nice folks.

The loaded magazine issue seems fairly common. I joined Berwyn Rod & Gun Club and was told the same thing during the range check. Apparently that's what the county police told them due to the gang element in some areas. They don't want an altercation at a stop light turning into someone loading a gun and things escalating.

While it's legal, you still might be running into misinformed LEO's and drama.
    I carry a copy of the letter someone posted on here from the SP addressing this question for that reason, but some folks can't be reasoned with.

I too have heard conflicting info on whether it's OK or not. Can you please share a link to the thread mentioned with the letter?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Much of the confusion arises from MD DNR's interpretation of a "loaded gun in a vehicle while hunting" that the DNR has repeatedly validated in criminal court: a loaded firearm touching a vehicle in any way is "in" said vehicle when hunting.

Dozens of hunters get nailed for leaning shotguns against pickup trucks & 4 wheelers every year.

I do not think this was the legislature's intent when the law was passed, but it is MD law by default. If you are even partially handicapped related to walking or standing and have a letter from your physician stating so, you are exempt from this law.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Patty Skryja-West (PSKRYJA on MDS) of B&S Personal Safety and Firearms Education offers women only classes for NRA Basic Pistol/FIRST Steps Pistol and MD HQL. She is very flexible with schedules. All training is done at the Associated Gun Clubs in Marriottsville.

Patty is a NRA Training Counselor/Instructor and a certified Well Armed Woman instructor.

Much of the confusion arises from MD DNR's interpretation of a "loaded gun in a vehicle while hunting" that the DNR has repeatedly validated in criminal court: a loaded firearm touching a vehicle in any way is "in" said vehicle when hunting.

Dozens of hunters get nailed for leaning shotguns against pickup trucks & 4 wheelers every year.

I do not think this was the legislature's intent when the law was passed, but it is MD law by default. If you are even partially handicapped related to walking or standing and have a letter from your physician stating so, you are exempt from this law.

:thumbsup:
    Haven't checked in awhile but DNR also (used to anyway) prohibited loaded mags,even out of the weapon,regardless of state law.They are the JBT's of Md. (not the officers personally but the agency in general).Almost everything they say is "in the act of" or "while in engaged in".:sad20:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    :thumbsup:
    Haven't checked in awhile but DNR also (used to anyway) prohibited loaded mags,even out of the weapon,regardless of state law.They are the JBT's of Md. (not the officers personally but the agency in general).Almost everything they say is "in the act of" or "while in engaged in".:sad20:

How many interactions have people had with DNR to have this rumor spread? Also how can this rumor influence other police agencies as law and the way they handle loaded mags on a stop? I don't see it as how people got this idea.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    How many interactions have people had with DNR to have this rumor spread? Also how can this rumor influence other police agencies as law and the way they handle loaded mags on a stop? I don't see it as how people got this idea.

Its not "other police agencies" its the public. There aren't arrests for it, there is fear of it and rumor spread person to person thru the public.

As far as how many times have people been charged by the DNR and convicted for loaded guns in vehicles? Hundreds, probably thousands over the decades.

Last edited:

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Worth-A-shot on Veterans hwy, Millersville. Donna Worth is a retired Balt. City officer and apparently does a great job with the ladies with basic instruction.

+1 - I don't know Donna or anyone else there, but I have heard one good thing after another about them. Women seem to especially like the Ladies only classes she holds.

Whiskey

Sep 28, 2012
    Crownsville, MD
    We're running several programs for home defense both armed and unarmed. Our armed defense programs are conducted in our shoot house on site using Simunition. We have a Young woman's unarmed training class coming up this Saturday 12/13 10-2 (Fight Like a Girl College Prep), only 2 seats left. The armed programs are listed on our calendar and can be arranged by appointment. For the novice shooters we use a combination of FX marking cartridges and blanks. Call or email for information 443-333-4042 info@annapolisdefense.com

bruppert

Dec 4, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Signed me and the Mrs up for the Friday class at Worth-A-Shot. Seems a tad on the expensive side but they do everything which is a major plus for me..... makes it more than worth the cost. Roughly $350 for both of us and when we leave we only have to wait for the license to show up in the mail.

Oh, you do get a $25 rebate if you buy a gun from them. Think someone mentioned that above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom