• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    20+ years active duty. All in strategic communications field. Never fired a hand gun in an official capacity although I did carry a .45 on payday guard duty as Sgt of the Guard once.
    As most have stated, no one should have to pay this TAX, which is all it is, to exercise a God given right. The .gov had nothing to do with my right to protect my family or myself or for that matter, for any legal purpose I choose as a reason to purchase/own/carry.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    20+ years active duty. All in strategic communications field. Never fired a hand gun in an official capacity although I did carry a .45 on payday guard duty as Sgt of the Guard once.
    As most have stated, no one should have to pay this TAX, which is all it is, to exercise a God given right. The .gov had nothing to do with my right to protect my family or myself or for that matter, for any legal purpose I choose as a reason to purchase/own/carry.

That's not the issue in this thread ... the issue is should your exemption be extended to family members. You carried the .45 ... did you receive handgun training prior to being issued the weapon?

thai

May 8, 2013
    In the Firearm Safety Act of 2013, there is an exception for the HQL if: This seems to not include military spouses (or any dependents). Does anyone think this can be expanded for at least spouses with an amendment? I rather have the whole act rescinded, but I think that it makes no sense to have military family members that are not MD residents get a HQL. By the time they go through everything that is required for a HQL, and waiting period for a regulated firearm, they may have already been shipped off to their next duty station! Maybe I'm bitter cause I might have lost a probable buyer of a firearm! I may have to wait for the active duty member to come back from overseas...

So Dr.Blast,

Have you recovered from being slapped around and kick all over for daring to ask a question and sharing an opinion?

By the way, Which one did you fall under in your listed category for exemption?
    Spouse?
    Child?

drblast33

[This Space for Sale ...]
    Actually I was the seller. I had to wait for the military member to come back stateside, and he purchased the firearm. While working the sale I misread the new HQL law. I thought military and dependants were exempt from the HQL. Comes to find out that dependents are only exempt from the MD residency requirement of the MD HQL.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

As an E1 I made $313 every two weeks and deployed 270 days out of 365 one year.

If my guns stay back home with my wife, why should she have we have to spend ~$300 for the HQL set up when we are only going to be here 2 to 3 years?

This is the typical set up. Most spouses are female with kid(s) without relatives in the area. The real question should be why does anyone need the HQL...

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.

If my guns stay back home with my wife, why should she have we have to spend ~$300 for the HQL set up when we are only going to be here 2 to 3 years?

This is the typical set up. Most spouses are female with kid(s) without relatives in the area. The real question should be why does anyone need the HQL...

Because OMouthy is an *******?

Your question has been asked and debated 10,000 times. Preachin to the choir.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

Why didn't you just put them away and STFU while you were deployed?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Your wife does not need an HQL to have your handguns while you deploy, any more than she would need one to have access to them when you are at work during the day.

HQL is for PURCHASE or PERMANENT transfer of ownership. Unless you are gifting or selling them to her, no HQL needed.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    No disrespect, but you now know what it's like when I have a person walk out of the shop when they discover what they need to do to make a handgun purchase.:sad20:

Lou45, I was at Kerr Brothers in Cumberland on Black Friday, while in town visiting my parents for the holidays. An older fella, probably 80, wanted to purchase a handgun. They had to turn him away after explaining the process. It made me ill and angry, that a person who lives in a city, which in my opinion is going to the dogs due to poverty can't get something to protect himself. I knew all along this was ridiculous, but when I witnessed it with my own eyes, it all kind of hit home. Where is an 80 year old going to come up with the time or money to go through MOM's asinine processes.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    Not to digress, but when you move under orders, your spouse becomes a legal resident of the state he/she moves to with you. The military member is the ONLY one who can keep legal residence outside the state they are stationed in.

Things change. The Military Spouse Residency Relief Act was singed into law in 2009. Now the spouse can "keep" his or her home of record as long as they are in the state for the sole reason of being with their service member. Each state has minor tweaks, but that's the gist of it on a federal level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom