• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    A freind gave me two old S&W Model 41 magazines last week, but they don't work well with my newer Model 41 that is about 5 years old.

These older magazines can not be fully inserted into the gun when the slide is open. In order for me to get these magazines to fully insert I have to close the slide before inserting the magazine. It doesn't matter if there are rounds loaded or not. They have steel followers and the base plate has a hole with the release pin sticking out.

It seems that the slide stop release is causing the interference. I'm assuming that this is a common issue. Before I break out a file on these magazines is there an easy fix?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    A freind gave me two old S&W Model 41 magazines last week, but they don't work well with my newer Model 41 that is about 5 years old.

These older magazines can not be inserted into the gun when the slide is open. In order for me to get these magazines to work I have to close the slide before inserting the magazine. It doesn't matter if there are rounds loaded or not. They have steel followers and the base plate has a hole with the release pin sticking out.

It seems that the slide stop release is causing the interference. Anyone ever experience this issue? Before I break out a file on these magazines is there an easy fix?

Does your new 41 have a magazine disconnect? If so its causing the problem.

See here for an illustration:

http://guntalk-online.com/Model41maintenance.htm#magdisconnect
    M41_trigger_disengaged1_sm.JPG

M41_trigger_engagement2_sm.JPG

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    Yes it does have that, but I thought that only effects firing a round when the magazine is removed. My other 10 newer magazines insert fine when the slide is open.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Yes it does have that, but I thought that only effects firing a round when the magazine is removed. My other 10 newer magazines insert fine when the slide is open.

Im almost certain its the cause but I may be wrong. can you post pics of the old and new mags?

I have had this issue before but I cant recall the fix.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    Im almost certain its the cause but I may be wrong. can you post pics of the old and new mags?

I have had this issue before but I cant recall the fix.

Here's the pics. I hope it helps. The old magazine is pictured in the front with a new mag in the back. The "V" notch at the top of the magazine seems to be slightly bigger on the new magazine and I think that is the issue. As soon as I move the slide release slightly down on the open slide it allows the old magazine to be inserted. It's weird that it does this with old magazine types only. On the pic with the slide the old magazine is in as far as it can go.

imag0121.jpg

imag0120.jpg

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    I bought a new 41 and neither of the mags that came with the pistol would work in it. They both would not fully seat without a large amount of force, and then neither of them would release. I had to pull rather forcefully to get them out. Luckily for me I had purchased two additional mags prior to picking up the pistol and they both worked fine. I contacted S&W and actually had pretty good CS as they said to return them and they would send me out two new ones. I was also told that I might have to wait a while as they are not continually manufactured.

When the two new mags arrived (only a few weeks later) only one of them worked. The other had the same problems as the two I returned. I again called S&W and this time the CS sucked. The Smith rep who answered my call insisted that the problem was either with me or the pistol was defective. When I told him that I had been using the pistol with the additional (smith manufactured) mags he still wanted me to return the pistol so that they could go over it, but he also told me that I could expect to not get the pistol back for several months. I kind of laughed at that and asked why they couldn't just do what the previous CS rep did. He asked me what I intended to do if the next mag was defective, and I told him that I would no longer call S&W for CS but would purchase mags from Midway. He didn't like that, but he did end up sending me another mag after I sent the third defective one back.

Sorry for the long rant, but I suspect that the Quality Control at S&W may not be what it once was. The pistol seems to be exactly what I thought it was, but the mags seem to be hit or miss and the CS is too.

Again, sorry for the long post.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    Once the slide is closed everything works the same as the new mags. All rounds fire great and it locks back the slide. I also can drop the magazines when the slide is open or closed. I'm thinking file, but I'm going to wait for the expert opinion from Chad. Even if I F it up I still have 10 more good magazines LOL. I'd rather have 12 though :)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Once the slide is closed everything works the same as the new mags. All rounds fire great and it locks back the slide. I also can drop the magazines when the slide is open or closed. I'm thinking file, but I'm going to wait for the expert opinion from Chad. Even if I F it up I still have 10 more good magazines LOL. I'd rather have 12 though :)

I cant see anything that stands out. I know there is something, its like a splinter in my mind.

If you want to know where to file paint the tops of the problem mags with a sharpie. Insert them easily into the gun and put decent upward pressure on it. You will see where the contact is. File where the sharpie rubs off. Go slow, and youl be fine. :)

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    Thanks Chad. I'll try the sharpie trick.

Here's some better pictures. The old mag is on the left and the new mag is on the right. It doesn't look like I have much to take off.

imag0127.jpg

imag0126.jpg

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    10 mags I wish I had 10 no -not really I have the 2 that came with it 20 years ago.

So you're the guy on the line holding everybody up when there is an alibi. You should have 3 magazines minimum, 1 being for an alibi string :P

The extra magazines come in handy when I want to shoot a lot but don't have a lot of time. I often have those model 41 magazines, magazines for a marvel conversion, and a bunch of 45 magazines pre loaded so I can get on and off the range quickly. :)

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    So you're the guy on the line holding everybody up when there is an alibi. You should have 3 magazines minimum, 1 being for an alibi string :P

The extra magazines come in handy when I want to shoot a lot but don't have a lot of time. I often have those model 41 magazines, magazines for a marvel conversion, and a bunch of 45 magazines pre loaded so I can get on and off the range quickly. :)
    I know. So where do you get mags for a 41? I think Clark has them.I have been thinking about a Clark upper and a ultra dot .I shoot all irons now. on both the 45 and 22. so I have been not in a big hurry to switch over to a dot.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    I know. So where do you get mags for a 41? I think Clark has them.I have been thinking about a Clark upper and a ultra dot .I shoot all irons now. on both the 45 and 22. so I have been not in a big hurry to switch over to a dot.

The Clark barrel is the way to go for a dot IMO. I have their 6 1/2 Bullseye Optical barrel with an Ultradot on it. Excellent accuracy. I think it has a very nice balance. The 5 1/2 STC barrel also has a very nice balance. I'm guessing that the 6 1/2 STC would feel too front heavy for me, and that the 5 1/2 Bullseye Optical would have a little better balance than the stock S&W barrel with dot on it because it has some forward weight removed to compensate for the added dot sight weight. Shooting with a dot on a stock S&W served me well for a couple of years until I got a Clark barrel. I wanted to be able to shoot both dot and iron sights and it was too much work to switch between the two. The nice thing about Smith and Wesson Model 41's is that it only takes 10 seconds to switch barrels.

I got all my model 41 magazines several years ago when they were on sale for $21.00 a piece. I see that Clark has magazines for $34. You may find a better price if you are just looking for magazines, but that seems pretty reasonable, and if you decide to get a new barrel it will be one stop shopping. Also, I use to use Nill grips up until 2 years ago, but I'm now using Herrit trainer flat grips to give me the same feel as a 1911 grip.

Do you shoot in any Bullseye leagues or area matches?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom