Smart gun leader is in chapter-11 style restructuring (Engage Armament Considered)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Here's an article on the 'smart gun' company restructuring.

Remember when Engage Armament (Rockville, MD) considered offering these for sale?

Major Points of the Article:

• Company cannot present at a New Rochelle (N.Y.) Police Department 'Smart Gun Fair' with four (4) other companies.
    • NSSF,NRA are skeptical, see it as gun control in disguise
    • Eminent H&K weapons designer has left company
    • $14M in losses
    • Claim that Engage Armament (MD) and Oak Tree Gun Club (CA) stopped considering for sale due to death threats/boycotts
    • 22lr $1,800 handgun not popular for Self Defense
    • Strategy was to force Law Enforcement to use 1st, then citizens
    • Smart Gun Fair is now closed to reporters

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    Trying to market a .22lr handgun to law enforcement is a great business plan. What could possibly go wrong?

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    If Engage sites receiving death threats, I'd consider it true, not a claim. I just don't think the guys there would make it up. Kind of hard to submit evidence of verbal threats.

The entire thing is sad because of the consequence to New Jersey. I think Engage was spot on offering to sell it, if someone wants it.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I'm trying to figure out how Engage's business decision has anything to do with the manufacturer going into Ch. 11.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I'm trying to figure out how Engage's business decision has anything to do with the manufacturer going into Ch. 11.

If you have a product that has been designed and manufactured, then you need to sell it to cover losses and hopefully make a profit. If you cannot sell it or the people you asked to sell it don't you're screwed.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Understood Mopar, but Engage sells many brands of firearms. Their business isn't dependent on the sale of one brand of firearm. If it had been a success, then that would have been a plus.

I just fail to see the connection.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I just want to be clear: I did not post this as a 'hit' piece on Engage. I commend them for offering a new, unproven (market demand) product for customers to consider. It just didn't sell, and I doubt that 'death threats' had anything to do with it.

I'm just not sure what to make of the article. Are they reporting the news or are they being biased. I'm not sure.

The good news for Engage is that this is free advertising. I hope he sees more visitors in the shop.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Understood Mopar, but Engage sells many brands of firearms. Their business isn't dependent on the sale of one brand of firearm. If it had been a success, then that would have been a plus.

I just fail to see the connection.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

I thought the smart gun dude was bankrupt not Engage?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    *IF* a well regarded industry leader such as Engage had sucuess in marketing a previously unproven product, it would lend credibility to said product.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Oh well my point earlier remains. If no one is willing to carry your product you can't make money.

*IF* a well regarded industry leader such as Engage had sucuess in marketing a previously unproven product, it would lend credibility to said product.

Yes and Yes..

I think the killer was the NJ law, why gun shops reconsidered or were threatened not to carry it. Would have been a more meaningful death if it were marketed, then rejected. They never had a chance when dealers who would have offered it, ran in to the NJ caveat. Gun rights advocates simply did not want that NJ law kicking in.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Correct, that's why I couldn't see the linkage. Engage is doing fine as far as I know.

Engage was going to be one of the first to sell his product but with backing out he lost his sales outlets. It made national news and after death threats my guess would be no other retailers wanted to pick up his product line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom