• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I've been back-ordered for a few months on a Noveske Blackout Barrel. A few days ago, I received an email that the machine they used to make the 300 Blackout barrel was down, so it would be a little more delay and that, also, they were "making some design changes", but I'd be getting one of the new designs.

???

I wrote back for clarification, and received this:

"Looks like we're moving to a more accurate chamber, a tighter 1n7 twist, and a semi poly rifling. These are all good improvements.

Kindly,

Joel"

We'll see how it goes. I guess this at least means I'll be getting my barrel soon.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I wonder if they no longer have the ability to manufacturer 1:8 and are moving it to equipment set up for the 1:7.

I've never heard of "semi-polygonal" rifling; that's a new one. Of course I never heard of "3R" and now I have a "3R" barrel at home waiting to be mounted on something. ;)

Eddie Van

Dude
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hollywood Star Lanes
    I've been back-ordered for a few months on a Noveske Blackout Barrel. A few days ago, I received an email that the machine they used to make the 300 Blackout barrel was down, so it would be a little more delay and that, also, they were "making some design changes", but I'd be getting one of the new designs.

???

"Looks like we're moving to a more accurate chamber, a tighter 1n7 twist, and a semi poly rifling. These are all good improvements.

Kindly,

Joel"

We'll see how it goes. I guess this at least means I'll be getting my barrel soon.

Isn't that twist rate very low (fast) for this projectile?

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I just looked on "Ammunition to Go" and didn't realize the AAC ranged from 110gr to 220gr. That is a pretty big spread.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Glocks have semi polygonal rifling.

240 gr bullets might also be the reason.

rsilvers

Dec 24, 2010
    Even using Miller formula, twist rates below 10:1 yield Stability factors >2.0 which seems to be outside accepted norms

Sierra 240 bullet is 1.590 long.
    Temp = 0F
    Velocity = 850 fps
    Stability 0.976 - not enough.

The 220 gets 1.292 - indicates enough but not by much.

But the reality is, the bullets have some dynamic instability which is not known to these twist formulas and so the normal guidelines of staying at around 1.5 is not good enough. PRODAS or Doppler radar gives you a better idea.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county

???

Kindly,

Joel"

Where are you backordered from and what length barrel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom