• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    Looks like you'll have to use scope rings with tabs on the bottom. The front one twists into the front hole, the rear goes in and the screws on the side lock it in place. That's not a Weaver mount, it's called something else. I suggest you get a Caldwell scope mount kit to make sure you have the rings lined up.

Thanks. I think the front is called a dovetail. I'm guessing a high mount? 1"?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks. I think the front is called a dovetail. I'm guessing a high mount? 1"?

Yup, dovetail. The other two questions get a "it depends". The scope itself determines the ring size, as in 1" or 30mm. How high depends on if the scope will fit on the rifle with that height set of rings. Buy the scope first, then get the appropriate rings.

RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    Just to update this for anyone that happens to come across it in the future...

I bought this mount: CCOP SB-REM005 Rifle Scope Steel Base Mount for Remington 788 Long Action

I bought these scope rings: Leupold Std High Rings Matte 49904

Note that you have to get the high scope rings or a standard 3-9x40 scope will not fit. It's razor close to the rear sight screws (you have to remove the rear sight to install the scope.

Overall, I'm super happy with how this gun turned out. I wish it was .223 or something a little more modern in terms of ammo, but it shoots great and it's beautiful with the wood and barrel refinished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom