• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    So I'm looking for a fun .22LR plinking rifle to take to the indoor range. I'm looking to spend under $400 base price and the fun factor is definitely the number one consideration.

10/22:
    I like the Tactical model for its rail, heavy barrel, and bipod. I'd be interested in possibly throwing a Blackhawk Axiom stock on it down the road. I also have a UTG 4x32mm scope with rail mounts just collecting dust, it would go perfect on top of that little bad boy and would be a good size for the limited range I would be shooting.:D

GSG:
    They make some interesting .22LR tactical guns. I got to handle their AK variant tonight, it seemed slightly clunky and I'm not so sure about the fitment of the furniture, but it's a pinker so as long as it works when I pull the trigger the rest doesn't matter so much. I also handled one of their MP5 variants with a fake can over the weekend at the gun show, but I wasn't going to swing $350 for a used one with only one mag.

39A:
    After talking to the guy behind the counter at the shop for a few minutes today about .22 rifles, he plopped a used 39A in my hands. I love me some cowboy guns and at $350 I don't think I would find another one of those so easily. This is the one I'm considering most because it is used and I can buy a brand new Ruger or GSG in 2 weeks but at that price I seriously doubt that Marlin will be there.

So what do you guys think? I know the 39A is pretty much the gold standard for .22 levers and I'll be hard pressed to find another good one for that price. I'm really leaning towards it unless the Ruger or GSG is just so much better that I shouldn't even consider the Marlin.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Marlin model 60. I bought mine for a hundred bucks used and it shoots like a dream. Also have you considered a Henry? Cowboy style, made in America, factory new, and comes with a warranty.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I have a 10/22 and a GSG5. The GSG5 MP5 version is actually built pretty well for what it is. The only issues are the bulk pack 22 rds. I did have a bolt pop out and fall into the buttstock but engage schooled me on what the issue was (apparently it happens a lot).

I'd probably buy the 10/22 over the GSG5 if I had to. ATI is not know for AMAZING products and the 10/22 has way more applications. Don't want a fun plinker anymore? Turn it into a nice target rifle! Don't want a target rifle? Reconvert it into a squirrel killer.

JOBU

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2010
    STALAG Montgomery
    So I'm looking for a fun .22LR plinking rifle to take to the indoor range. I'm looking to spend under $400 base price and the fun factor is definitely the number one consideration.

10/22:
    I like the Tactical model for its rail, heavy barrel, and bipod. I'd be interested in possibly throwing a Blackhawk Axiom stock on it down the road. I also have a UTG 4x32mm scope with rail mounts just collecting dust, it would go perfect on top of that little bad boy and would be a good size for the limited range I would be shooting.:D

GSG:
    They make some interesting .22LR tactical guns. I got to handle their AK variant tonight, it seemed slightly clunky and I'm not so sure about the fitment of the furniture, but it's a pinker so as long as it works when I pull the trigger the rest doesn't matter so much. I also handled one of their MP5 variants with a fake can over the weekend at the gun show, but I wasn't going to swing $350 for a used one with only one mag.

39A:
    After talking to the guy behind the counter at the shop for a few minutes today about .22 rifles, he plopped a used 39A in my hands. I love me some cowboy guns and at $350 I don't think I would find another one of those so easily. This is the one I'm considering most because it is used and I can buy a brand new Ruger or GSG in 2 weeks but at that price I seriously doubt that Marlin will be there.

So what do you guys think? I know the 39A is pretty much the gold standard for .22 levers and I'll be hard pressed to find another good one for that price. I'm really leaning towards it unless the Ruger or GSG is just so much better that I shouldn't even consider the Marlin.

I own a 10/22. Buy the cheapest model and the pimp it out anyway you want. Don't blow too much money on the initial purchase. It's like a Barbie doll - you can dress it anyway you want.

I've shot the GSG. Get a suppressor. FUN FUN FUN.

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I own a 10/22. Buy the cheapest model and the pimp it out anyway you want. Don't blow too much money on the initial purchase. It's like a Barbie doll - you can dress it anyway you want.

I've shot the GSG. Get a suppressor. FUN FUN FUN.

The reason I want the Tactical is because it has the heavy barrel and rail, two things I would end up buying anyway.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    They have made the 39A since 1891!:D

Also I should note that the 39A had some sort of hammer spur. I think it said JM on it.

But its not a semi and does have the aftermarket support. I have to say though besides simple buffers, scopes or mag releases mine are all stock still.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    go buy the 39a fast thats a good deal and they are sweet shooters you can get the other guns anywere

This.

First thing tomorrow, go back and grab that 39A.

That sounds like a decent deal if it's in good shape. Is it one of the older ones without the crossbolt hammer-block safety?

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    But its not a semi and does have the aftermarket support. I have to say though besides simple buffers, scopes or mag releases mine are all stock still.

Why does it have to be semi?:rolleyes:

Levers are fun, you ever shoot one? Rapid firing a .22 lever is a total blast!

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    This.

First thing tomorrow, go back and grab that 39A.

That sounds like a decent deal if it's in good shape. Is it one of the older ones without the crossbolt hammer-block safety?

I didn't even think to check that. It had the gold trigger with the hammer spur. It felt like it had a half cock position when I fooled with the action a bit.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina

Yes, I have it was ok. I also had a Model 94 .30-30 it was ok but just not my thing excellent shooting and sexy looking though.

I will get a 96/22 in .22lr though but thats just cause I collect Rugers.

This whole "semi-auto" gimmick is a passing fad. Mark my words, young whippersnapper, it'll never catch on.

Oh don't get me wrong I don't just like semi's. I love me some revolvers more than most people my age, but for rimfire rifles semis is where its at how else can I go through a 550 bulk pack in one afternoon.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    10/22, so much you can do with it to fit your taste. I love my SIG522 too, but it's not as versatile.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Yes, I have it was ok. I also had a Model 94 .30-30 it was ok but just not my thing excellent shooting and sexy looking though.

I will get a 96/22 in .22lr though but thats just cause I collect Rugers.

Oh don't get me wrong I don't just like semi's. I love me some revolvers more than most people my age, but for rimfire rifles semis is where its at how else can I go through a 550 bulk pack in one afternoon.

I felt the same way about my old 30-30, really really pretty gun, but I just didn't like to shoot it.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.

I have a unique 39A, I want to sell it because of outdoor benchrest shooting. Pain in the ass to cycle a lever on a rest, outside of that....the 39A is a classic gun to hold, feel and shoot. It's looks are second to none.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom