• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    All the 9mm I shoot are reloads Tula primers, Berry's plated bullets and range pickup brass doesnt get cheaper than that.

Primers-$20/1000
    Bullets- $100/1000
    Powder-$20/1500
    Brass-Free

Comes down to about 13 cents per round for 9mm and .45ACP is about the same except bullets are $140/1000 so 17 cents per round.

And how long does it take to do 1000rds?

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    And how long does it take to do 1000rds?

Most of us that reload do not put a price on the time taken to do said reloading. Mostly because we see it as an extension of our shooting hobby, and thus the time does not matter.

I guess if you see shooting and/or reloading as a job, and you want to put a value on every minute, then no, reloading is not worth it to you. Do I enjoy saving money on reloads vs store ammo? Sure.

Reloading is part of my shooting hobby. I don't put a value on my leisure time.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I see what you guys are saying. Point taken....

I enjoy shooting, when i can actually get out. I usually go for about 2 hours or so at the range for handguns, or 4 hours for handguns & rifles. I have 5 kids, so my time is EXTREMELY valuable so i kinda have to put a value on what I do when it doesn't involve the kids.

Excellent feedback! :thumbsup:

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I see what you guys are saying. Point taken....

I enjoy shooting, when i can actually get out. I usually go for about 2 hours or so at the range for handguns, or 4 hours for handguns & rifles. I have 5 kids, so my time is EXTREMELY valuable so i kinda have to put a value on what I do when it doesn't involve the kids.

Excellent feedback! :thumbsup:

5 kids? Seems like you got a much more fun hobby than reloading already :D

I understand though. My job I am on call 24/7, 365 1/4 so I spend alot of time out of town working. My time at home I try to get as much done with the family and my hobbies as I can.

So I do understand that "time is valuable." Oddly enough, I probably get as much enjoyment out of spending a few hours reloading, listening to music in my garage as I do at the range. If your time is limited and reloading bores you to man-tears, yeah just buy the cheap target ammo and have fun shooting :)

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Weird, was at the WalMart in Ellicott City today. They were sold out, but the WWB 9mm 100 round "value pack" was $23.95. Almost, if not exactly twice as much as the "normal" 50 round box.

Lame. I'm sticking to the interwebs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    I reload and the prices of power & primers that have been presented certainly are on the low side.

In any event, this calculator is great. Don't forget to add hazmat, insurance and shipping cost into the calculator. Generally hazmat charge for 1000 primes is a few dollars more, than the cost of primers.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

All the prices I posted were costs to my door.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I really wish I could find these kind of prices for my .38 sp.

Dammit...

That's another round that lends itself to reloading. It's a rimmed straight-walled case - about as simple as reloading gets. A 4 cent primer, 2 cents worth of powder and cast boolits = cheap plinking ammo. One can get many reloads out of spent .38 spl factory cases.

Your "time" isn't factored into the equation tho. What I didn't say before was reloading also gets you into sometimes hard to find and expensive rifle rounds. Try finding 7.7 Jap, 6.5 Carcano and .303B factory ammo cheap. And there are many others.

Once a reloader...always a reloader.
    :)

Marylandfisherman

Self Aware
    Nov 10, 2011
    That's another round that lends itself to reloading. It's a rimmed straight-walled case - about as simple as reloading gets. A 4 cent primer, 2 cents worth of powder and cast boolits = cheap plinking ammo. One can get many reloads out of spent .38 spl factory cases.

Your "time" isn't factored into the equation tho. What I didn't say before was reloading also gets you into sometimes hard to find and expensive rifle rounds. Try finding 7.7 Jap, 6.5 Carcano and .303B factory ammo cheap. And there are many others.

Once a reloader...always a reloader.
    :)

I am headed that way, just not there yet...

Nubz

Yankee Trash
    Mar 16, 2012
    Walmart won't sell me ammo for my carbine
    They have some dumb idea that I need a pistol permit to buy it LOL

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Nubz said:
    Walmart won't sell me ammo for my carbine
    They have some dumb idea that I need a pistol permit to buy it LOL

No Walmart requires a pistol permit to buy any ammo. If it's a primarily handgun caliber then you do have to be 21 though which I guess you're not. Too bad.

Nubz

Yankee Trash
    Mar 16, 2012
    No Walmart requires a pistol permit to buy any ammo. If it's a primarily handgun caliber then you do have to be 21 though which I guess you're not. Too bad.

LMAO I wish I was that young for the record I will be 39 this year

And walmart has the law confused up here is the problem

Something in the gun laws in ny about ammo that is made Specifically for a pistol
    So they take that the wrong way
    I can go to the gun shop and buy all the 9mm I want

Mar 12, 2011
    I love the federal 100 rd boxes. Great ammo at the same price as the tulammo next to it! Cheaper than umc trash too! I believe .40 is around $27 and the prices I see above are accurate for the other calibers

bikerbankr

Mar 1, 2010
    Upperco, MD
    +1. But don't buy them from the Walmarts I frequent. :)

I was in the Fallston Walmart today and they now have a 2 box/person/day limit. The guy told me certain people would come in when the got a shipment and clean them out in one day.

I instantly thought of your post Mark..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom