Congrats fa18hooker --Daniel Boone Trophy (Camp Perry)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    494 points out of a maximum 500 and of the 50 shots, 22 were Xs or Centers...

I don't know if this was shot at 50, 100, or further distances, but in any case to miss only 6 points out of 500 and to beat that many shooters (many of them professionals) is something to be darn proud of.

--
    Shamr0ck

The course of fire was the 50-shot "National Match Course" (it was THE National Match) used by the CMP in it's Excellence in Competition matches. EICs are matches where credit points towards Distinguished Rifleman (Army, Air Force, Civilian) or Distinguished Marksman (USN, USMC, USCG) are awarded to the top 10% of non-distinguished shooters firing. Those already distinguished compete to win the match. The NTI, is of course, the biggest EIC of the year.

Alibis are allowed for rifle malfunctions but NO SIGHTING SHOTS whatsoever.
    Know your rifle, know your zeros,know the wind and no excuses!

10 shots Standing in ten minutes at 200 yards
    10 shots Sitting rapid fire in 60 seconds, starting in standing position. Two shots, magazine change, eight shots. 200 yards
    10 shots Prone rapid fire in 70 seconds. starting in standing position. Two shots, magazine change, eight shots. 300 yards
    20 shots Prone slowfire in 20 minutes at 600 yards.

Matt's scores in the four stages were 99-4X, 99-4X, 99-3X, and 197-11X. Very consistent. Matches are won at 200 yards (offhand) and lost at 600. While a few shooters outshot Matt at 600, he was the best at offhand that day.

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    You guys are awesome, really make a guy feel at home. I hope to leverage this to restore even the smallest level of support the Navy shooters get at higher level competition (our funding was cut last year...the first time since 1966 the Navy hasn't had Naval Surface Warfare Center (NSWC) Crane support). An O-5 can afford to put some serious coin towards his passion, but the E-4 to E-6's we need to lead the team can't. If you haven't seen the teams, the AMU and WTBn don't have officers on their teams. By contrast, the only people who can afford to shoot on the Navy team are senior enlisted and officers. Rather than lament that we're not getting government cheese, however, I'll say that if you see a Sailor at a match, he's there on his own dime, and spanning a dry spell until the free ice cream starts flowing again.

As for the match, the National Trophy Individual Rifle Championship is a National Match Course, no sighters (50 shots: 200 yard Slow Fire Standing, 10 shots offhand/standing in 10 minutes (99-4), 200 yard Rapid Fire Sitting, 10 shots (fired with 2 magazines, 2 and 8 rounds in deference to the Garand shooters) in 60 seconds (99-4 again, the "leaker" in the EXACT same spot as standing), 300 yard Rapid Fire Prone (10 shots in 70 seconds, 99-3 this time, with this 9 within 2 inches of the others, further out), and finally Slow Fire Prone, 20 shots in 20 minutes at 600 yards (98-7 and 99-4 for the two strings...1 9 high (all me), 1 9 squeaked out the right, and an undercompensated wind letoff 9 out the left). I got lucky on the relays (relay 2 of 6) in that I only had rain for half the string...then again, when you can't define the target, there's only one place to look...front sight, front sight, front sight. I shot my original Rock River National Match AR-15 (but with a Joe Zerby barrel and ammo (he's also from Maryland)). The best part was seeing the AMU say "WhoTF is that?" at the awards ceremony (I won by 3 X's, so margins are slim). Time to hang up the rifle gear, because that s&%! ain't happenin' again!

For those who are intimidated by competition, or don't think they can do well at highpower, consider this: the 10 ring on a highpower target is roughly 2-3 MOA wide (7" at 200, 7" at 300, and 12" at 600), and the black is 6 MOA wide. You don't need a benchrest quality rifle to start, nor do you need 20/20 (they make iron sight inserts with prescriptions now!). Unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of 600 yard ranges around, but you have Ft. Meade for the MD State team matches, and if you're willing to drive a little bit, Bridgeville, DE has 600 and a thousand yards, and you can join for SUPER cheap and practice when you want. I haven't been out west to Cumberland, or north to New Holland. Quantico Shooting Club is great, and they hold regular practices and matches. The April Fleet and All Navy matches at Quantico are training and competition in one. Just like working out, it helps if you have someone with you...so find someone to shoot with. I was absolutely AMAZED last month when the MD State Rifle Championship had TWELVE...yes, TWELVE shooters show up for the match...and even worse, only 3 people showed up for the EIC match the next day (Excellence in Competition matches are special matches to earn your Distinguished Rifleman/Distinguished Marksman badge). Not sure how to fix that, but it starts when you grab a new shooter and say, "c'mon, we're going shooting" and loan them some gear. My Command Master Chief just started shooting competitively this year, and I estimate he'll be winning EIC leg medals within a year.

I really hope to see more folks on the range. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but the culture of Marksmanship is slowly being leeched from the fabric of our society. I applaud all of you who run leagues, teach new shooters, run an Appleseed clinic, or generally perpetuate the sport. Conversely, if you know "that guy" whose competitive spirit comes off as machismo, that's the easiest way to intimidate someone to never come to the range again.

BTW, if you've never been to Camp Perry, it's 7 hours away, has a CMP store where you can buy (and walk out with) all kinds of vintage rifles (although the shelves appeared lighter this year), and best of all, hit Robbers Row with vendors who actually have parts, ammo and reloading components in stock (I missed the boat on the CCI standard velocity .22 for $380 a case...they sold hundreds of cases in an hour or two)...NRA Rifle and Fullbore are going on for another two weeks. For the vintage folks (rifles, not the people themselves, although there seems to be a correlation), CMP now has an entire series of vintage matches...Garand, Carbine, Vintage Sniper, etc. Match fees are cheap, and they're a GREAT bunch of people.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    That is a very challenging course of fire!!! The no sighters is a tough one, but makes the win all the more sweet - again, congrats!

---
    Shamr0ck

PHRFcrewman

Jul 20, 2014
    Hamilton, Baltimore
    494 points out of a maximum 500 and of the 50 shots, 22 were Xs or Centers...

I don't know if this was shot at 50, 100, or further distances, but in any case to miss only 6 points out of 500 and to beat that many shooters (many of them professionals) is something to be darn proud of.

--
    Shamr0ck

That's awesome! And thanks for the explanation. :)

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Great job. Unfortunately I was not a shooter while I was in the Navy during Nam. Not till 35+ years later did I start competing and that was with the pistol in action events (and some bullseye). I think one of the problems in shooting sports is that there are so many shooting sports to try, some of which get better press these days than Camp Perry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom