• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Not me as I don't have a 300 blackout upper yet. But a good friend does this and lives the price point and reaults

--
    Shamr0ck

Roadhawg

Bee Farmer
    Jul 18, 2014
    Free America
    I found someone local with 600lbs of blanks from the area DRMO. He said he would sell me some at brass scrap prices.
    I am going to stop by and pick up 50lbs today.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Not sure this would not be OK. Normal advice to not use blanks is due to the crimped mouth.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I'm no expert, but I've always shied away from using "blank" cases to reload into full power cartridges. Seems to me the pressure generated when firing a blank is nowhere near the pressures of an actual round. Makes sense that the cases used to manufacture blanks could be of lesser quality than full power cases.

Don't have a "hold my beer and watch this" moment when there are so many .223 cases to be had out there cheap if not free.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I'm no expert, but I've always shied away from using "blank" cases to reload into full power cartridges. Seems to me the pressure generated when firing a blank is nowhere near the pressures of an actual round. Makes sense that the cases used to manufacture blanks could be of lesser quality than full power cases.

Don't have a "hold my beer and watch this" moment when there are so many .223 cases to be had out there cheap if not free.

From a physics perspective...

With no projectile to block; a blank can't possibly create the real pressure of a round. It is about the integrity of the brass.

IMHO

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    For 300 Blackout it is cut at the shoulder, well below the crimped mouth.
    Also the factory uses the same brass cup to form a blank as it does for 5.56.

That is what I was trying to say. :)

There is a reason to avoid double negatives. :)

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    From a physics perspective...

With no projectile to block; a blank can't possibly create the real pressure of a round. It is about the integrity of the brass.

IMHO

That was my point.

That is what I was trying to say. :)

There is a reason to avoid double negatives. :)

Not sure what you mean.

The real question becomes: "Can the quality of case bases (originally built for blanks) be reformed, trimmed and safely withstand the pressures generated by 300 BLK loads?"

I don't know the answer. But with so many other options...I wouldn't make "blank brass" my Plan A.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    You definitely would not want to reload a 5.56 blank for a real 5.56 round but since you'd cut it down as stated above....who knows? Most of the blank cases I've seen have a band of 'dimples' or 'dings' about 1/2" or so up from the head. The common sense factor implies to me that this area is significantly weaker than a standard case.

It might be just fine for a .300BLK, especially loaded for subsonic. Let me know if it blows up or not, if you don't mind. PM would be fine if you don't want to post it here.

Roadhawg

Bee Farmer
    Jul 18, 2014
    Free America
    Most of the blank cases I've seen have a band of 'dimples' or 'dings' about 1/2" or so up from the head.

That knurled band is to denote it is not for combat use.
    You will also find that band on M852 Match Grade 7.62mm (.308).
    I guess the NATO crowd frowns on 168gr Hollow points on the battlefield.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I have cut a few down and converted them, but too skeered to load and shoot em.. LMAO

For subs, I would not be concerned.. supers worry me a bit, but... I have no scientific basis for that fear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom