• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmcisc

Sep 18, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I was out pawn shopping with my wife today for a low priced mandolin, since she decided to take up another instrument. In the course of our travels I saw a Manurhin PP with Walther grips. Whoever had it before thought the grips were wrong and scratched the Walther name off of the scrolls. Other than that it's pretty clean with virtually no scratches, but a little wear on the backstrap.

Also, on the slide it says "lic. excl." and whatever comes next was machine overstamped so you cannot tell what else was there.

Needless to say I couldn't resist and bought it.

I'm pretty sure it's C&R since the ATF book says all Manuhrin PPs are.

Can anyone help me with additional info. Here are some pix.

Attachments

• Manurhin L Side.jpg
      Manurhin L Side.jpg
      9.5 KB · Views: 524
    • Manurhin Lic.jpg
      Manurhin Lic.jpg
      11 KB · Views: 520
    • Manurhin Slide L.jpg
      Manurhin Slide L.jpg
      9.3 KB · Views: 517
    • Manurhin Mag.jpg
      Manurhin Mag.jpg
      8.5 KB · Views: 516
    • Manurhin SN.jpg
      Manurhin SN.jpg
      13 KB · Views: 524

jmcisc

Sep 18, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    A few more pictures.

Attachments

• Manurhin St Etienne Stamps.jpg
      Manurhin St Etienne Stamps.jpg
      14.2 KB · Views: 513
    • Manurhin Hammer.JPG
      Manurhin Hammer.JPG
      10.7 KB · Views: 511
    • ManurhinTopstrap .jpg
      ManurhinTopstrap .jpg
      10.6 KB · Views: 520

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Sadly, I can't make out much from the pics of the markings, which are where the pistol's story is told.

The X-ed out bit on the left side makes me think it's ex-police. I can't tell much else, except is appears to be in excellent shape, going by the appearance of the finish.

The Manurhin folks made all the Walther pistols after WWII, though most of them were sent back to Germany for proofing and final stamping, and given the Walther banner. There's no practical difference between the two, except the Manurhins usually bring a lower price since they don't say "Walther".

Is yours a 9mm or 7.65?

The best info on Walthers comes from Waltherforum.com; close-ups of all the markings will get you more information.

Fine pistol, nice catch.

Did you find a mandolin? In addition to too many Walthers, I have and enjoy too many mandolins. BTW, mandolincafe.com has an excellent classified section, and loads of good info and advice, if you or your wife are in need of anythhing like that.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    It does look like former police mark that is crossed out. Ask mom to take a clearer shot with it with her Apple camera and post it. Very nice find pops! Again, I'm jealous of your finds while I am here on this rock.

jmcisc

Sep 18, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    It does look like former police mark that is crossed out. Ask mom to take a clearer shot with it with her Apple camera and post it. Very nice find pops! Again, I'm jealous of your finds while I am here on this rock.

She took these for me. This is a very nice one. The finish is almost mint. The only markings are for Manurhin PP 7.65 mm. Made in France.

I did some further checking and it seems like it was manufactured in 1956-57.
    There are absolutely no markings indicating any association with Walther.
    I suspect the overstamping and Walther name being scratched out on the grips was over a dispute Manurhin had with Walther. I thought it was worth the $200 (and they threw in some ammo).

jmcisc

Sep 18, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Thanks Bob A and todbiker. I have already checked out the Walther forum, and a few others, where I gleaned bits of info about it. Apparently to find dates of manufacture you have to check the Walther serialization, and not one listed for Manurhin.

One of the things I couldn't explain is that there are some import marks from what appears to be "Valley Gun" in La. To me this seems to indicate it was brought in after the GCA.

jmcisc

Sep 18, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Here is one on gunbroker with the X and the unmolested markings on the slide.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=480152692

Definitely a Bubbafication and not a Manurhin-Walther dispute. If you have buyers regret, I can make you whole again. :)

Thanks for the offer, but I'll just have to take my punishment.

BTW, I don't think Bubba had his hands on this one. The "X" is not really an x at all. It's just the deepest die strike. It's actually a proof mark of 2 crossed swords over the letters ByP. Same as on mine.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I have one of these in my collection that is for sale. I will have to pull it out to compare the markings.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    7.65 is the sweet caliber for these pistols - what they were designed for. Two hundred bucks is a steal, for a pistol that would probably fetch half a grand on GB.

You done good.

jmcisc

Sep 18, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    7.65 is the sweet caliber for these pistols - what they were designed for. Two hundred bucks is a steal, for a pistol that would probably fetch half a grand on GB.

You done good.

Thanks. I always seem to second guess myself, when it's a gun I'm not specifically looking for.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    You paid less than what they sold for when originally imported. Good job getting it at that price. Even if you wanted to replace the grips with originals you'd still be well under current market value (about $500-550). Have always regretted waiting too long to jump on the Manurhin PP bandwagon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom