• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Legislature can meet in "The Skate-r-bowl" Yes it was a recreation place for just what the name implies.:rolleyes::D

Seriously though... I urge everyone to consider how some things would be handled in such a transfer of power / responsibility.

State employment. There are five or six state prisons in W.MD. They employ A LOT of people. There are many other state jobs in W.MD. which are some of the most sought after jobs here. Thousands of W.MD. residents have invested decades in such jobs. How will their careers & pensions be handled?
    We could continue to allow the prisons and other facilities necessary to down-state Maryland within our territory. Its not unheard of. It will have to be decided though and SHOULD BE in any proposal from the outset.

How about the many state owned properties? I think close to 1/2 of Garrett is state owned isn't it? Thousands of acres of forest, park and WMA lands in the three western most counties. SHA properties, as well as the highways themselves! Numerous offices for everything from the courts to health care facilities...

There is billions of dollars worth of facilities, equipment and jobs to be considered. IT MUST BE included in any serious proposal. Maybe it'll be easier to deal with than I anticipate but we cannot merely say we're leaving without such considerations.:cool:

I do think a serious plan should be considered. I personally like the idea of preserving the "reasonable strip" along the M-D line to make W.MD. and the shore contiguous, while excluding the (sorry guys:innocent0) troublesome parts of the state. The other option being ceding W.MD to WV and the shore to VA. DE is just too disconnected from traditional ideals to be included in this deal.:sad20:

BTW - It should be noted that ALL FIVE members of the BOCC in WashCo are what would be best be described in current lingo as RINO's. They are highly susceptible though to public opinion. A quite proposal made on paper with cautious interpretation of response (if any) followed by an aggressive PUBLIC announcement of intentions prior to an official in person (commissioner's meeting) proposal would be a good strategy to get them warmed up to such a (perceived) radical idea.

We can lease the jails to the PRM

sgar2600

Mar 27, 2013
    I like this verbiage. hey Eastern Shore guys and gals, what do you think? You could do it to. (Pleeaaase!! I want a truly free state near my beloved bay to move to until I retire and go to NC).... ....Heck, I might even retire to the shore if we pull this off...
    :party29:

There are still a bunch of us in S. MD would be pissed if y'all in the eastern shore and western Maryland left us with the lib-tards in Annapolis/Montgomery/PG. Can't we give them away and keep MD to ourselves? :lol2:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Might as well throw Anne Arundel in there too.

AA is pretty well a split county in several ways.

Geographically, more than half is rural and sparsely populated ... even with the densely populated north area, it is a very politically neutral county. Many of AA's "Democrats" are already DINO's and an (R) next to your name does not stop you from being elected as it does in most other counties.

Below the South River and MD 214, most people would not realize how far they drive in AA before they get to Calvert. AA does not end at MD 214! You are less than half way geographically thru the county at the point where South County, as its called locally, begins.

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    AA is pretty well a split county in several ways.

Geographically, more than half is rural and sparsely populated ... even with the densely populated north area, it is a very politically neutral county. Many of AA's "Democrats" are already DINO's and an (R) next to your name does not stop you from being elected as it does in most other counties.

Below the South River and MD 214, most people would not realize how far they drive in AA before they get to Calvert. AA does not end at MD 214! You are less than half way geographically thru the county at the point where South County, as its called locally, begins.

Yep. Annapolis to Glen Burnie, it's very busy, but below 214, it is not AA county! It's South county.

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    My best suggestion for proceeding with this idea - whatever it ends up being - would be to approach the STATE LEGISLATORS first. Privately, cautiously and above all, discreetly. They are almost sure to be against the idea from the outset. It would be too much of a gamble for their (political) careers even though if successful, they would become the core movers and shakers of the new state.
    However, it would be imperative to convince at least one to aid us. They have access to the resources we will need, to fully investigate and strategize if we are ever to put together a successful plan.

There is much at stake. Billions in assets. Thousands of jobs. Inconceivable infrastructure... all needing to be "transferred" in some way. There hasn't been a state added in most of our lifetimes and there hasn't been one taken from another jurisdiction in 150 years!

I am not convinced the odds are just to insurmountable. The nation may in fact be at a point where this could become as common as new states were during the 19th century! Our situation where one or two urban centers run the state is common in a dozen other states even if not as bad as here yet. This is however the 21st century! The way things get done is much more involved than simply saying we want our own place.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I read the history on this and from my understanding the way this could happen is MD would need to vote yes on the succession and then congress could approve it. But the State of MD has to say yes first. Personally I think you could make a big argument to get it done if both eastern shore and W. Maryland did it together.

I'd move up to Hagerstown in a heartbeat.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    There are still a bunch of us in S. MD would be pissed if y'all in the eastern shore and western Maryland left us with the lib-tards in Annapolis/Montgomery/PG. Can't we give them away and keep MD to ourselves? :lol2:

This. The idea is to let MoCo, PG County, and most of DC form their own little leftist fantasy-land. Maybe take Baltimore with them, possibly even throw in parts of Virginia inside the Beltway. The rest of us can live in a civilized state.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    This. The idea is to let MoCo, PG County, and most of DC form their own little leftist fantasy-land. Maybe take Baltimore with them, possibly even throw in parts of Virginia inside the Beltway. The rest of us can live in a civilized state.

Yes, that's how to do it. Biden even said DC should be a state with 2 senators. Arlington, Alexandria, Leesburg, Manassas, DC, MoCo and PGC should form a new state.

Oskerspap12

May 3, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    There are only four counties that matter in Annapolis.Montgomery,P.G.,Baltimore,and Howard..................end of story.Thats where their votes come from,and thats all they care about.

D.P.Reynolds

ThunderStick

May 12, 2013
    Garrett County
    It's been discussed....

.... here in Garrett County.

Moving the West Virginia line further north and east would have all the Gerrymanderers scramblin' fer sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom