• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I'm considering a Sig M400 pistol with a 10.5" barrel and Sig arm brace in 300 blackout.

My primary reason for this is simply to have an AR (I don't currently have one).

Originally, I'd considered having Engage build something custom with the brace (to simplify things and avoid having to deal with ATF disapproving another Maryland SBR or the additional costs/legal NFA-related limitations). But ATF's recent ambivalence re the shouldering of an arm braced AR pistol has forced me to reconsider that idea.

So, now, I'm thinking that buying the Sig, since it was designed/assembled by Sig as a pistol/arm brace combo (that I may occasionally shoulder), would be easier to justify (should I have to....if ATF officially decides to poo-poo the arm brace-as-stock) than something I (or Engage) assembled.

My questions are:
    1. What are your general thoughts on arm brace vs SBR? Legalities vs cost vs paperwork vs NFA travel complexity (I've already got an SBR), etc.
    2. For the barrel size, is there another (cheaper?) caliber that might make more sense? The pistol's primary use (under normal circumstances) is as a range toy.
    3. Optionally: Is it worth considering the addition of a suppressor and using sub-sonic ammo? Of course, that puts me back into NFA territory, but that's why I'm asking for opinions.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    .300 BLK begs to be suppressed. If you aren't going suppress it, you would be better off with 5.56, IMO. Ammo is at least half the cost and easier to find.

I personally loathe AR pistols. I love SBR's. I would recommend going NFA, if at all possible. SBR with a can is heavenly.

1BADI5

Are we there yet
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft Meade AOR
    I finished my AR pistol build back a few minths ago.............so how do these fit into the transportation laws........Yes, I know in a case and all that good stuff.

My question is the legalities of it. I know my other AR falls under SB-281...it can't leave the state. Can I go to VA/WV with it and be good to go. I have not seen a straight anwser here yet?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I personally loathe AR pistols. I love SBR's. I would recommend going NFA, if at all possible. SBR with a can is heavenly.
    This times a million. Driving me crazy to see people posting pictures of their braced pistols on NFA forums and pretending they're SBRs. Plus, you can put a VFG on an SBR, which is a useful option in some cases.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I finished my AR pistol build back a few minths ago.............so how do these fit into the transportation laws........Yes, I know in a case and all that good stuff.

My question is the legalities of it. I know my other AR falls under SB-281...it can't leave the state. Can I go to VA/WV with it and be good to go. I have not seen a straight anwser here yet?

Beyond the standard interstate firearm travel guidelines, if your AR pistol's NFA (e.g., SBR, suppressed, etc.), then you need to file a form 5320.20 with ATF -before- traveling to your destination. ATF's generally pretty good at processing these fairly quickly (a coupla weeks turn-around for my last one).

The form's good for, I believe, one year. Then, you file again. You need to file the form for every state (other than the state you filed your form 1 or 4 in) you plan to travel (with your NFA weapon) to.

The Sig arm brace, which gets you most of the way to an SBR, negates all that NFA hassle, which is its draw.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    There is nothing in 281 that prohibits leaving the state.There was some early wording in 281 that would have made that an issue IIRC. It was removed.

If it's a pistol, no issue. An SBR does require a BATFE form to cross state lines.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    Just an FYI, Engage just so happens to have a Sig M400 pistol in 300 Blk. I was fondling it the other night.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    .300 BLK begs to be suppressed. If you aren't going suppress it, you would be better off with 5.56, IMO. Ammo is at least half the cost and easier to find.
    That makes sense. I just have to rationalize the additional time/cost/effort needed for a suppressor..

I personally loathe AR pistols.
    Can you explain your reasoning here?

I love SBR's.
    Me too. But the reality is that I live in Maryland and the legality of SBR'ing an AR in this state seems to be in question.
    But, still, considering the savings--both in money and time/effort and not having to deal with NFA restrictions--an arm brace seems to be a more than reasonable alternative.

Plus, you can put a VFG on an SBR, which is a useful option in some cases.
    Although I can see the utility in some cases, a forward grip's not a really an interest for me.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Can you explain your reasoning here?

I find them quite cumbersome to shoot. There is no comfortable way to hold it and it is difficult to get a good cheek weld with the buffer tube or Sig brace. An SBR on the other hand swings quickly and just feels right. I prefer AR SBRs over standard length AR's.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    +2 - Sig braces are to SBRs what bump-fire is to full-auto.

Funny.

Also with SBRs, they are LOUD. The muzzle is much closer to your ear. They only way to counter this is to get a suppressor. So, if you want to do this right, you will need 2 stamps.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I find them quite cumbersome to shoot. There is no comfortable way to hold it and it is difficult to get a good cheek weld with the buffer tube or Sig brace. An SBR on the other hand swings quickly and just feels right. I prefer AR SBRs over standard length AR's.

Me too. Hence my interest in the brace. At least until ATF solidifies their view on Maryland SBRs.:sad20:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Nothing prevents BATF from reversing itself on the brace either, even if SIG threatens to sue them.

But as of now, it seems like the only alternative.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Also with SBRs, they are LOUD. The muzzle is much closer to your ear.
    And a Sig brace puts the muzzle closer still, making LOUD even LOUDER.;)

They only way to counter this is to get a suppressor. So, if you want to do this right, you will need 2 stamps.
    And a second job..;)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Also with SBRs, they are LOUD. The muzzle is much closer to your ear. They only way to counter this is to get a suppressor. So, if you want to do this right, you will need 2 stamps.
    I assume you were being funny, but I don't really think SBRs are so terribly loud, unless you're using a brake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom