• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbguns

Defend the Constitution
    Jan 28, 2010
    Heading to Free America
    To buy a handgun in MD, you have to be a resident of the state or military on orders here. You also have to take a firearms safety course. This can be done online and you only need the certificate of completion. You have to be 21 and wait the required 8 days to pick up the gun.

Info is here:
    http://www.mcsm.org/mdlaw.html

'FFL' = Federal Firearms License. As used in this thread, refers to dealers with a license which is required for transfer of handguns.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    Not too many local stocking dealers here in So Md. Best bet is to go to a range, check out the guns, rent one or two you like and then order it from one of the local FFLs. Mine can usually get a better deal if you don't need it yesterday. :rolleyes: PM me for info.

Polecat is a wise man, listen to him.

What sort of gun does she want? Rifle, handgun, shotgun? Doors she intend to hunt or does she desire to protect herself?

maesy

Mar 11, 2011
    Commonwealth of VA
    she wants a handgun, for protection. and she'll probably take it to a range...but she has bailed on me. so we're going another day :(

i'm thinking i'll just make a weekend of coonhunting and gun shopping up there

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    nations gun show....if you can wait till the 15th of Apr...best place to look and see what you like...if you go to an indoor range you can rent some and see which suits you better...i would suggest this...its cheaper than buying something only to realize you dont like it after you shoot it once...saved me before.

http://thenationsgunshow.com/

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    Is your sister a resident of Maryland? If she is she can buy a handgun here. If she isn't she'll need to buy one in what ever state she is considered to be a resident.

If you'd like I can take you and your sister shooting at the local club to give her some basics and help her narrow down what she is comfortable with.

maesy

Mar 11, 2011
    Commonwealth of VA
    she is a resident of maryland. and I am fairly certain in order to buy a handgun in VA you have to be a resident and she is not...so I don't know if the gun show will work for her.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    she is a resident of maryland. and I am fairly certain in order to buy a handgun in VA you have to be a resident and she is not...so I don't know if the gun show will work for her.

If she pops in by herself, Mark and/or Chandra will help her make an informed decision. :thumbsup:

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA

You can only buy a handgun in the state in which you are a resident.

IF she were to buy a gun in VA she would need to have that dealer ship it to a FFL in MD and then have them do the paper work on it.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I think the point of the Chantilly show was for her to actually see what is available on the market not just what is in stock. Once she picks something she likes worst case scenario she will have to order what she wants not just take what she can get.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I think the point of the Chantilly show was for her to actually see what is available on the market not just what is in stock. Once she picks something she likes worst case scenario she will have to order what she wants not just take what she can get.

this! and if she really likes a pistol she can get an FFL to transfer from someone at the gunshow with an FFL to one in Southern MD with an FFL. might be a little more hassle or could just find an FFL in SOMD and have them order it like stated above

maesy

Mar 11, 2011
    Commonwealth of VA
    OHHHH!!!! wow. that makes sense. sorry, i completely missed the point of the gun show! blonde moment!

she probably needs to go to one..so she can look at all the options because neither of us know anything about guns. i can take down my 870 and aim ok. and that's about it...

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    OHHHH!!!! wow. that makes sense. sorry, i completely missed the point of the gun show! blonde moment!

she probably needs to go to one..so she can look at all the options because neither of us know anything about guns. i can take down my 870 and aim ok. and that's about it...

Well if you have any questions or would like to go shooting a few different handguns let me know.

Along

Mar 14, 2011
    St Mary's
    Just joined and just ordered my first pistol in MD. I wish it was in the other order. I can second what's been said about Ds and TB. Found that staff at TB to be very courteous, but you pay.

xonid

Jan 28, 2009
    CalCo
    I've had good luck with Fred's in Waldorf, but some of my friends have not. If anything, it's another place to stop to take a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom