Euroarms - Rogers and Spencer Conversion - 45 LC or 45 acp?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jan 12, 2013
    I am looking for a conversion cylinder for my Rogers and Spencer .44 from Euroarms. Noticed Howell's Old West has both a .45 LC and .45 acp conversion cylinders. I have read about how you should use cowboy loads when firing a cartridge round through a bp pistol, but I'm guessing the .45 acp should be OK if they make a cylinder specifically for it. I would lean towards the .45 acp simply because my other pistol is a 1911 and the ammo is so much cheaper.

Any thoughts on the .45 acp vs. .45 LC conversion?

Thanks

Jan 12, 2013
    Don't reload yet, and probably not in the near future. There is a certain appeal to using LC for the authenticity and the puff of smoke coming out the barrel. OTH I guess I could use lead acp and should help prolong barrel life if I went that route.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Shouldn't be a problem with either, a revolver with a top strap and full steel frame holds up better than most, similar to 1858 Remington conversions, 45ACP is convenient, 45 colt is a classic, so the obvious answer is both. I wouldn't push it and run +p though, as far as jacketed vs cast, neither should damage the barrel, but BP revolvers tend to have deep rifling, and might see better accuracy from lead or plated.

Jan 12, 2013
    Both may be the answer, but I think I'll start with the LC for now. I emailed Maggie at Howell Old West Conversions and she said that the .acp ammo should be lead and should be cowboy load not exceeding 850 fps muzzle velocity. So that rules out most of the really cheap .acp. So I am looking at $.40/rd for .acp vs $.60/rd for LC. Think I'll go with the LC for the authenticity factor and learn to reload eventually.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Both may be the answer, but I think I'll start with the LC for now. I emailed Maggie at Howell Old West Conversions and she said that the .acp ammo should be lead and should be cowboy load not exceeding 850 fps muzzle velocity. So that rules out most of the really cheap .acp. So I am looking at $.40/rd for .acp vs $.60/rd for LC. Think I'll go with the LC for the authenticity factor and learn to reload eventually.

Yay for traditional! :D
    I usually see cowboy LC loads at gun shows or Cabelas for $30-35 a box. Given the loading process, you're not going to burn through ammo as fast as your 1911 could, so it might seem like the box lasts longer. (I don't know...I'm just trying to make your wallet feel better about it :shrug:)

In the past year or so, I've seen a lot of Remington Target .45LC in a green box. This is definitely hotter than cowboy loads. Based on the entirely subjective measurements of felt recoil and muzzle blast out of my Redhawk that shoots LC and ACP, it is also noticeably hotter than ACP as well...so I'd definitely steer clear of it for your conversion.

Definitely save your brass, and have fun!

Jan 12, 2013
    You may also want to get a conventional base pin to replace the loading lever for easier reloads.

That's a great idea, especially since it can be a pain to get everything aligned with the loading lever. I figure even if I get both conversions, I am still coming out ahead since a SAA would cost a lot more. And I have been wanting some kind of Single action for some time now. So win-win.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    That's a great idea, especially since it can be a pain to get everything aligned with the loading lever. I figure even if I get both conversions, I am still coming out ahead since a SAA would cost a lot more. And I have been wanting some kind of Single action for some time now. So win-win.

Belt Mountain makes base pins for Rugers and Colts but I don't know about your gun:
    http://www.beltmountain.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom