• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    While at the Dulles gun show I was looking at AR uppers as I have 6 stripped lowers and am looking to build one. The owner told me they would not sell any upper to someone in MD that was not MD compliant. And basically they didn't like selling any AR parts to a Maryland resident. I reminded him that I could buy anything I wanted online and have it shipped. I don't think there is any restriction to buying any AR part anywhere as long as it is not the registered receiver.

Was he just being overly (stupidly) cautious?

navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    Yes, but with Maryland resuming sales of lowers people are being more cautious. No shop wants to be linked back to someone illegally building a firearm in todays sue happy climate.

Lerlactl

Oct 17, 2010
    How did your state of residence enter into the conversation, credit/debit card transaction? Paying in cash at shows seems to alleviate alot of "uneasiness" with selling Marylanders items.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    Pretty much why I no longer go to VA/PA shows...was told more than once by vendors they would rather not deal with MD folks.....something I can certainly appreciate....and in their place probably take the same position...

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I was talking to the guy about the new MD laws I did not think it would be an issue or I would not have brought it up. Plenty of people will sell to MDers so his loss.

treadhead88

Panzerfahrer
    Jun 20, 2009
    Cecil Co.
    I have had vendors at Chantilly tell me and my buddy to get away from their tables because we are from Maryland, that we were taking up space that could be filled with someone who could buy from them. Wouldn't sell anything, even a C & R with copy.
    That's the attitude of some vendors, I have also had some say "you can look all you want, but you can't buy".

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    you just can't fix stupid, however you can choose not to give them money... and eventually the stupid are stupid with no money. Except in DC... you are rewarded for stupid. only place in the world with so many stupid people with high incomes and disposable income.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    If we in Maryland who deal with it every day sometimes have trouble figuring out what the law means or how it will be enforced, imagine how someone from another state must feel.

We are one very small state out of 50, and just get stepped over and ignored by many.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    When I was up in Pennsylvania last week and found something I really wanted, he wouldn't sell it to me but was willing to transfer for me. I told him I understood his position and no problem. Now the Henry I looked at also could have walked out the door with me.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    On a related note the Ft Belvoir exchange now asks for ID when buying a magazine, and won't sell to a Maryland resident if over 10 rounds. This has been implemented just within the past few months or so.

They stated that they knew what the law said and that it was legal to sell them, and that the Maryland State Police told them it was fine, but ATF said not to sell them to MD residents. Apparently this is the result of the store manager contacting the ATF, not the other way around. My reaction - so even though they knew it was legal and recieved a 'yes' from the MSP, that that wasn't enough, he kept asking until he got a 'no' from someone trying to CYA? I got shrugs in response.

(Background: I was buying one of the new 'extended' LC9 mags, which hold 9 rounds vs 7. The person helping me asked the guy who runs the counter if he needed to check for a Maryland ID, he said no, only if the mag held more than 10 rounds... so of course I started asking questions).

Feb 28, 2013
    First, WTH is a "MD compliant upper"???

Second (and more importantly), the guy's a dolt and doesn't deserve MDers' money.

Exactly.:thumbsup:

Must be something in the water in that part of Virginia.:sad20:

Anyway, give your money to someone who's not a dumbass and wants to take it.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    If he's not comfortable or, just understandably ignorant to the patchwork of our laws, just go to someone who does understand them. They want your money more than this guy.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I've said this before, but a letter should be sent from MDS or MSI (if not possible, then from 1000's of MD gun owners) to whatever the PA and VA gun dealers associations are explaining to them what the law is and the fact that we're willing to give our $$ only to those with enough brains and guts to understand the law and let us purchase within it.

Sure, the small vendors may not care, but perhaps explaining it in dollars and cents would be easier to understand..... otherwise, f**k 'em

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I've said this before, but a letter should be sent from MDS or MSI (if not possible, then from 1000's of MD gun owners) to whatever the PA and VA gun dealers associations are explaining to them what the law is and the fact that we're willing to give our $$ only to those with enough brains and guts to understand the law and let us purchase within it.

Sure, the small vendors may not care, but perhaps explaining it in dollars and cents would be easier to understand..... otherwise, f**k 'em

Screw them. My money spends on line very well. If they want to lose a sale because they think they know what they're talking about or they have some feeling of superiority, then so be it.

I will spend my money where it's welcomed. I don't need to drive 2 hours to a PA or VA gun show only to be treated like I'm a criminal trying to buy from them.

Timonium and Howard County are about the only 2 shows I go to anymore. I rarely buy firearms from anyone other than Lou. I'm okay with that. I did buy an SKS from a guy walking the show, but other than that, the show's just a way to spend an hour or two with like minded folks.

Jim Smith

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom