• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hollywoodwvu

Sep 1, 2014
    Kent Island
    So, I was at the Dulles Gun show this weekend and wanted to purchase a S&W M&P15 Semi automatic .22 rifle. I am an Ohio resident in stationed in MD on Military Orders. I brought my Drivers License, Military Orders, and 3 pieces of mail that proved my MD address. Long story short, I was getting a good deal with regards to price and additional accessories, then the dealer said that he couldn't sell me the gun because I have an Ohio DL. Did this dealer realize that I was getting the best of him and backed out of the deal, or was he right?? BTW, he was a VA Dealer.

I've always been able to purchase rifles/shotguns from OH, WV, PA, etc. My handguns have always been purchased from OH just to be safe.

So, here's my question...what guns can I purchase in MD/VA with an Ohio DL? Rifles, Shotguns, Handguns? Help, I'm really confused....

bigalf

Apr 1, 2012
    Fort Meade
    I am military also, you can buy anything you want in MD with orders, and you are exempt from HQL. You can also buy anything you want in OH. And I think you can buy any rifle that is not banned in MD out of state. IANAL. YMMV.

Hollywoodwvu

Sep 1, 2014
    Kent Island
    I am military also, you can buy anything you want in MD with orders, and you are exempt from HQL. You can also buy anything you want in OH. And I think you can buy any rifle that is not banned in MD out of state. IANAL. YMMV.

That's what I thought, I think the guy didn't want to go through with the deal and used a lame a$$ excuse... Thanks for the reply.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Basically it was legal transaction both as an Ohio resident and an MD "resident" here in active duty orders.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Basically it was legal transaction both as an Ohio resident and an MD "resident" here in active duty orders.

THIS ^^^. However there are alotta' VA dealers at that show (and other VA shows too) that WON'T sell MD legal long guns to Marylanders or residents of other states for that matter.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Now hold on a second, we can't have people running around with guns just because they are in the military.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Now hold on a second, we can't have people running around with guns just because they are in the military.

Like a friend of mine, who was having their bag searched at the airport (pre-TSA, so contractor) and asked the lady searching if she was looking for anything specific, and maybe he could help her find it. She told him, "I am loking for anything that might allow you to gain control of the aircraft."

Funny, he was in his AIRLINE uniform, with 4 stripes (Captain) so once the door was closed, he WAS in charge of the aircraft. :)

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Like a friend of mine, who was having their bag searched at the airport (pre-TSA, so contractor) and asked the lady searching if she was looking for anything specific, and maybe he could help her find it. She told him, "I am loking for anything that might allow you to gain control of the aircraft."

Funny, he was in his AIRLINE uniform, with 4 stripes (Captain) so once the door was closed, he WAS in charge of the aircraft. :)

:lol2::lol2: Bill Engvall "Here's Your Sign" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBjelRDKHUk

1BADI5

Are we there yet
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft Meade AOR
    I have bought there are few times.

If your military with orders assigning you to a base or post in "Virginia" all you need it your MIL ID card and copy of your orders.

Virginia Law allows sales to MIL members with that documentation and the NICs check. If you have that stuff its cash and carry...thats how my transaction worked out. I even double checked the laws and spoke with a couple FFLs prior to my first transaction

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

They don't have KNOWN crew member at Dulles?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) Did I ever say Dulles???????

2) This was PRE-TSA, so the low bid contractors that did "security" back before 2001. And EVERYONE went through "security."

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    1) Did I ever say Dulles???????

2) This was PRE-TSA, so the "LOW BID" contractors that did "security" back before 2001. And EVERYONE went through "security."

Can I pretty well assume, at least in this case, that "LOW BID" contractors equates "LOW IQ" personnel???

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    I had that happen before and it was from a lack of knowledge on the sellers part. I just don't think they wanted to admit it and came up with a BS excuse why he couldn't sell to me.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Just a point of order, as an OH resident with orders showing you are stationed in MD you should be able to buy anything in either of those two states, but only long guns in other states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom