Level of difficulty with obtaining a suppressor in Maryland?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr.Duct_Mossburg

Jan 25, 2010
    Harwood, Md.
    Hey Folks!

I did search this but I was unable to find anything recent.

What is the difficulty in suppressing my M&P 9mm? I understand the waiting game, trust, etc. but I feel being a resident of Maryland an extra 7 layers of difficulty must come with it.

I would love to eventually suppress a .308 AR10 or AR10 style rifle but figured I would start small with a handgun to get my feet wet.

TIA,

Chris

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    M&P doesn't make a great suppressor host, but if it floats your boat - go for it.

Nothing's really changed in the process, go fill out the paperwork, pay for the can and the tax, and wait.

I'm sure someone else will be along with more info.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I am not aware of anything added into the mix in MD that makes it any more ridiculous to get.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    No extra MD hurdles if you have a trust. If not MSP takes a long time to retun CLEO sign offs.

Dr.Duct_Mossburg

Jan 25, 2010
    Harwood, Md.
    M&P doesn't make a great suppressor host, but if it floats your boat - go for it.

Nothing's really changed in the process, go fill out the paperwork, pay for the can and the tax, and wait.

I'm sure someone else will be along with more info.

I have read the M&P has a bit more blow back than some other units do... Have you had or heard of other experiences outside of this? I also considered it for my Glock but I have more confidence using my M&P and pick it up far more than the Glock.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Hey Folks!

I did search this but I was unable to find anything recent.

What is the difficulty in suppressing my M&P 9mm? I understand the waiting game, trust, etc. but I feel being a resident of Maryland an extra 7 layers of difficulty must come with it.

I would love to eventually suppress a .308 AR10 or AR10 style rifle but figured I would start small with a handgun to get my feet wet.

TIA,

Chris

You would be better served posting this in the NFA section...

You can start with the links that I posted below, they both have relevant information. Hope this helps....

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=141952

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=160408

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    If you are planning on more than 1 NFA item, you definitely should go the trust route. It is faster and cheaper than getting fingerprinted, photographed and submitting for CLEO sign off. If you go individual route and submit to MSP for sign off plan on a trip to Baltimore and 2 additional months of waiting each time you submit a New item. If you get a trust the first time will cost a bit more but it will pay for itself on each successive item in time and money.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    If you are planning on more than 1 NFA item, you definitely should go the trust route. It is faster and cheaper than getting fingerprinted, photographed and submitting for CLEO sign off. If you go individual route and submit to MSP for sign off plan on a trip to Baltimore and 2 additional months of waiting each time you submit a New item. If you get a trust the first time will cost a bit more but it will pay for itself on each successive item in time and money.

/\

THIS.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    As I understand it a trust is also the only lawful way for the NFA item to be in the custody of someone besides you, e.g. your spouse.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I have read the M&P has a bit more blow back than some other units do... Have you had or heard of other experiences outside of this? I also considered it for my Glock but I have more confidence using my M&P and pick it up far more than the Glock.

No personal experience there, but it's been relayed to me by a few diff't people that the M&P and Glock aren't ideal suppressor hosts.

Noise aside, I don't know if they would require a booster/Nielsen device to operate properly with a suppressor. Never really looked into it to be honest.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MD isn't really more difficult to purchase an NFA item than any other state. Some state prohibit silencers completely..NFA procedures are Federal, not state law.

map attached

Attachments

• suppressor map_050614.jpg
      suppressor map_050614.jpg
      87.3 KB · Views: 420

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    MD isn't really more difficult to purchase an NFA item than any other state. Some state prohibit silencers completely..NFA procedures are Federal, not state law.

map attached

That map is slightly misleading.

Maryland DNR says that there's no law prohibiting the use of a suppressor or silencer for hunting, unless it's been changed since 2008.

OK. i just got written confirmation from DNR

Here is what he said-

Thanks for contacting us to check on hunting regulations.

The DNR hunting laws and regulations do not prohibit the use of silencers so they would be legal to hunt with from our standpoint. As you likely know, there are federal requirements that must be met in order to purchase a silencer, and there are local ordinances that affect firearm use in general. I encourage you to make sure you meet these restrictions before making plans to use a sound suppressed weapon.

You may view a summary of DNR regulations on weapons used for hunting at http://www.dnr.maryland.gov/huntersguide/weapon.asp

Good luck and be safe!

Pete Jayne
    Wildlife and Heritage Service
    Associate Director for Game Management
    410.827.8612 ext 104

But back on-topic: Do a trust, because you'll want another can once you have one, it saves you about $60 each time you submit, and when you die your NFA stuff doesn't become property of the state.

Takes a couple months now, the hardest part is the waiting, be sure to talk to your dealer and make sure you're getting what you want, because it takes so long for the approvals to process. Once Form 4s go back to digital, it's going to be a lot faster, but right now you're looking at four months-ish for the Form 4, and probably a month or two for the Form 3 (manufacturer to dealer, or distributor to dealer), then it's in your hands.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    On a trust, it is easier than a cash and carry rifle. It's amazing.

I walked into Duffy's with my trust in July, paid for the suppressor, signed the form the nice man gave me, and was done. Now I wait. They didn't even ask if I was a non-white-hispanic-african-american-eskimo.....

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    On a trust, it is easier than a cash and carry rifle. It's amazing.

I walked into Duffy's with my trust in July, paid for the suppressor, signed the form the nice man gave me, and was done. Now I wait. They didn't even ask if I was a non-white-hispanic-african-american-eskimo.....

They will do that when you pick it up. You have to fill out a 4473 and pass a NICS check, just like a cash and carry long gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom