Votes: 15 11.3%
    • both eyes open

Votes: 46 34.6%

• Total voters

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    Just curious, I have no eye dominance. Having no left or right eye dominance, some would find it a blessing as opposed to being cross eye dominant but, It proves to be just as problematic without control. I have alot of problems using the eye dominance test where you straighten out your arms and create a small viewing area with your hands and focus on a distant object and then close your eyes to find which eye holds dominance and surprisingly for me it disappears with both eyes. I have known this for a long time since I took up archery at a young age. Now as a pistol shooter, I am trying to become accustomed to shooting with both eyes open and have a ton of trouble doing so without at least squinting my left eye shooting right handed or squinting my left eye shooting left handed. I still prefer shooting with my right hand as I am right handed. Do any of you experience the same problems?

How do you shoot ?(Poll is Multiple Choice)

Terminology corrected and clarification added (thanks to Docster)

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I'm right handed and right eye. I shoot handguns with both eyes open. My right eye "grabs" the front sight so to speak.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Just curious, I am ambidextrous eye dominant. I have left or right eye dominance and some would find it a blessing as opposed to being cross eye dominant but, It proves to be just as problematic without control. I have alot of problems using the eye dominance test where you straighten out your arms and create a small viewing area with your hands and focus on a distant object and then close your eyes to find which eye holds dominance and surprisingly for me it disappears with both eyes. I have known this for a long time since I took up archery at a young age. Now as a pistol shooter, I am trying to become accustomed to shooting with both eyes open and have a ton of trouble doing so without at least squinting my left eye shooting right handed or squinting my left eye shooting left handed. I still prefer shooting with my right hand as I am right handed. Do any of you experience the same problems?

How do you shoot ?

I believe it's a contradiction to be ambidextrous ('equally adept') AND dominant. Either one eye is dominant or neither eye is dominant but both eyes can't be equally dominant.

Approximately two-thirds of the population is right-eye dominant and one-third left-eye dominant;[1][4][5][6] however in a small portion of the population neither eye is dominant.

A person's dominant eye "is determined by subjective alignment of two objects presented at a stereodisparity far beyond Panum's area".[18] There are a number of ways to do this:

The Miles test. The observer extends both arms, brings both hands together to create a small opening, then with both eyes open views a distant object through the opening. The observer then alternates closing the eyes or slowly draws opening back to the head to determine which eye is viewing the object (i.e. the dominant eye).[19][20]

The Porta test. The observer extends one arm, then with both eyes open aligns the thumb or index finger with a distant object. The observer then alternates closing the eyes or slowly draws the thumb/finger back to the head to determine which eye is viewing the object (i.e. the dominant eye).[19][21][22]

The Dolman method, also known as the hole-in-the-card test. The subject is given a card with a small hole in the middle, instructed to hold it with both hands, then instructed to view a distant object through the hole with both eyes open. The observer then alternates closing the eyes or slowly draws the opening back to the head to determine which eye is viewing the object (i.e. the dominant eye).[12]

The convergence near-point test. The subject fixates an object that is moved toward the nose until divergence of one eye occurs (i.e. the non-dominant eye). It is an objective test of ocular dominance.[12]​

Any of the above quick tests, when done correctly, will determine ocular dominance in an individual. I can use either eye to shoot, but that's not 'ambidextrous'. Personally, the tests show that I am left-eye dominant but shoot pistols right-handed so I compensate by partially rotating the gun slightly to the right. However I shoot rifles left-handed. Occasionally I shoot left hand, left eye or right hand, right eye just for training (and fun!)

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    hmm, not sure what to do about that. I always shoot with both eyes open and am right handed/right eyed. When stressed, you won't be able to close eyes, so it's good to just train with them both open. Not sure if a mini-reflex sight would be better or worse for you.

newq

Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    I believe it's a contradiction to be ambidextrous ('equally adept') AND dominant. Either one eye is dominant or neither eye is dominant but both eyes can't be equally dominant.

Approximately two-thirds of the population is right-eye dominant and one-third left-eye dominant;[1][4][5][6] however in a small portion of the population neither eye is dominant.

A person's dominant eye "is determined by subjective alignment of two objects presented at a stereodisparity far beyond Panum's area".[18] There are a number of ways to do this:

The Miles test. The observer extends both arms, brings both hands together to create a small opening, then with both eyes open views a distant object through the opening. The observer then alternates closing the eyes or slowly draws opening back to the head to determine which eye is viewing the object (i.e. the dominant eye).[19][20]

The Porta test. The observer extends one arm, then with both eyes open aligns the thumb or index finger with a distant object. The observer then alternates closing the eyes or slowly draws the thumb/finger back to the head to determine which eye is viewing the object (i.e. the dominant eye).[19][21][22]

The Dolman method, also known as the hole-in-the-card test. The subject is given a card with a small hole in the middle, instructed to hold it with both hands, then instructed to view a distant object through the hole with both eyes open. The observer then alternates closing the eyes or slowly draws the opening back to the head to determine which eye is viewing the object (i.e. the dominant eye).[12]

The convergence near-point test. The subject fixates an object that is moved toward the nose until divergence of one eye occurs (i.e. the non-dominant eye). It is an objective test of ocular dominance.[12]​

Any of the above quick tests, when done correctly, will determine ocular dominance in an individual. I can use either eye to shoot, but that's not 'ambidextrous'. Personally, the tests show that I am left-eye dominant but shoot pistols right-handed so I compensate by partially rotating the gun slightly to the right. However I shoot rifles left-handed. Occasionally I shoot left hand, left eye or right hand, right eye just for training (and fun!)

Perhaps I used the wrong terminology. The statement was not made to give prominence to efficiency with either eye but more that neither eye was dominant. At arms length with a thumb or hole in a card or small opening made with my hands I still see double vision. Closing one eye only serves to occlude the object to one side or the other relevant to the eye that is opened. I believe that this is what I was referring to incorrectly and more appropriately as you stated "neither eye is dominant".

Thank you, Original posted edited for clarifications you presented.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Handguns - Ambidextrous, both eyes open. Prefer strong side carry/draw though.

Long-guns - Left hand/eye dominant, can go strong side in a pinch, but accuracy is degraded.

newq

Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    hmm, not sure what to do about that. I always shoot with both eyes open and am right handed/right eyed. When stressed, you won't be able to close eyes, so it's good to just train with them both open. Not sure if a mini-reflex sight would be better or worse for you.

I don't know if it would help or not. I do not currently have a mini reflex but would like to try. Perhaps i will run into someone at the range and see if they will let me give it a go.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It takes some time, but if you keep at it, you adapt to shooting both eyes open.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I'm left eye dominant, but I've always shot right handed for both firearms and archery. Part of that is because I'm right handed, and partly because my favorite guns only exist in right handed. I'm able to shoot with both eyes open though.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You should shoot any way that you shoot the best.
    How long have you been pistol shooting?
    Does it matter how you use your eyes if you are satisfied with how you have been shooting?
    Does this conundrum physically bother or distract you while trying to aim?
    You did not say how well you shoot and if you are happy with it.
    Do you mostly shoot for marksmanship accuracy at distance or are you mostly a 7-10 yard center mass/self defense shoot type person?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Not having a dominant eye is fine for rifle and pistol, but it wil SERIOUSLY screw you up in shotgun.

My wife has this issue. She would consistantly miss high incoming birds. An instructor noticed the issue and showed me. As the shotgun came up to a certain point, she would shift (not consciously and not controllable) from her left eye to her right eye. You could see the muzzle jump about 1-2" to the right. Using an eye patch or something to prevent the right eye from taking over fixed the problem. This works great - http://www.morganoptical.net/magic_dot

But a piece of Scotch tape (frosted) works well also. When I instructed I carried an eye patch and a stick of lip balm. For temporary use, you can smear some lip balm on the lens to prevent the other eye from working.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I am pretty sure when I shoot left handed support hand(left) I still use my right eye. I think. Really makes no difference to me since I am making the hole where I want them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom