• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    I am thinking of purchasing one of these, and have just begun research.
    Are they both DA only?
    What are trigger pulls on these like?
    I've heard some bad things on Smith semi's?
    I've also seen some info that the XD's have a tall barrel axis, more flip?
    Apparently the XDM is the compact version, any particular issues with this?
    I've recently been exposed to PA steel shooting, and may be looking for a suitable gun (thanks Tom).

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I am thinking of purchasing one of these, and have just begun research.
    Are they both DA only?
    What are trigger pulls on these like?
    I've heard some bad things on Smith semi's?
    I've also seen some info that the XD's have a tall barrel axis, more flip?
    Apparently the XDM is the compact version, any particular issues with this?
    I've recently been exposed to PA steel shooting, and may be looking for a suitable gun (thanks Tom).

Both are double-action-only strikers.
    Both have decent triggers, but improve slightly after some range use, don't expect a 1911 trigger in stock form though.
    Bad things like what on Smith's M&P series? - I've had my M&P .45 for a while now and it's had exactly 0 issues, so I'm drawing a blank there.
    XD's bore is slightly higher than the M&P's, either are going to work as intended, muzzle flip on XD's I've shot was still manageable. M&P's muzzle flip (on .45 anyways) has been very pleasantly surprising and easy to control.

Biggest difference to me - XD is a Croatian built gun, sold by Springfield. M&P - right here in the states.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Personally I like the S&W more. The XD wasn't my thing. The two I shot had more than enough FTF/FTE. But it could have been the owners fault I don't know. Just not a fan.

Vjornaxx

Twelve
    Mar 8, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    I had an XDM .40 for a while. The difference between the XD and XDM is that the M has more aggressive texture for better grip and the take down doesn't require you to pull the trigger. Actually, I can't think of an easier gun to strip than the XDM. The trigger on my stock XDM was very nice. The striker is apparently 90% pre-cocked so the trigger pull felt pretty close to a single action pull. I didn't notice that the bore axis was an issue as muzzle control wasn't very difficult to achieve. The grip safety is tiny and that was sometimes an issue when I would take friends to the range and they wouldn't always have a high and heavy grip. Also, if they would limp wrist then the gun would sometimes misfeed. I didn't have that issue, but one of my friends seemed to get that a lot. He just wasn't aggressively gripping the gun, I think.

I've rented the compact and standard M&P 9mm many times and the standard felt better in my hands than the XDM. The stock trigger wasn't great as it had a lot more pre-travel than the XDM and the pull itself was a little heavier, but you can get an Apex trigger kit to address pre-travel and trigger weight. You need a tool or a long thin finger to take down the M&P, but the tool is integrated into the heel of the grip. I like that the M&P doesn't have that grip safety and that you can buy one with a thumb safety.

If I had to do it again, I'd buy myself a standard M&P 9mm and get an Apex kit later.

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    I have an xd .40 compact bit of flip but manageable. I love my xd will never get rid of it. Several hundred rounds through it not a hiccup either.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I have a original xd .40 the muzzle flip seems very manageable. Only pistol we owned was an SA 1911 tried to talk the wife into a police return G22 and she picked a xd .40 over the Glock, Sig, and smith but at the time the m&p wasn't out yet so I can't directly compare.

PMD354

I have a XDm in 9mm. I think that it's a great pistol. Trigger pull is nice, not too hard or long. I also like the fact that the mag holds 19 rounds. I put a Viridian green laser on it. The wife like to shoot it and without the laser she can't the broad side of a barn. She's not to bad with the laser on.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    XDm 9 and M&P 9 are both nice pistols.
    Each have had minor issues with a gun here and there but neither is a lemon.
    You can get trigger work on both to address trigger issues.
    Stock, I liked the XDm trigger better.
    I have the Apex kit in my 9(Comp kit) and 45(Carry kit). They are fantastic and super easy to install. I haven't shot an XDm with trigger work yet.
    I like the XDm 5.25 because of the target sights. XDm capacity is higher. 2 rounds in the same size 9 and 3 rounds in the same size 45. IIRC
    The Xdm can't shoot in SSP in IDPA due to the way the striker works. It puts it out of a double action only first shot.
    They both run specials from time to time to include more gear with the gun. Extra mags can be pricey. But if you only need two.....then it doesn't matter.
    Typically, springfield comes with a nicer case, holster, etc.

Go to a range. They should have both for you to shoot.
    I know On Target does.

ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    I have problems with the mag dropping free out of my XD. Thought it would loosen up after awhile but hasn't been the case.

I don't have any complaints about my mP 9 or 45

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I have an XDm, an XD, and an M&P. I used to be all about my XD's, still am, but give the nod now to the M&P. Better sights than the XD, changable backstraps (that actually change the whole palmswell), stainless slide, all for less money than the XDm.

Both are double-action-only strikers.
    These guns are single action only.

pasayan73

May 31, 2009
    laurel, md
    Go for m&p. I have a m&p pro 9mm. I love it better than my xdm. Take down is very easy on my xdm. Not a fan of glock. Why, because for a lefty m&p pro can be changed to a lefty mag release and the xdm is ambi mag release from the get go.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Go for m&p. I have a m&p pro 9mm. I love it better than my xdm. Take down is very easy on my xdm. Not a fan of glock. Why, because for a lefty m&p pro can be changed to a lefty mag release and the xdm is ambi mag release from the get go.

I love my MP's as well... I own 3 of them.

However the Gen 4 Glocks can be switched for a lefty as well.

It's a selling point as to why a Gen 4 might end up in the safe finally.

Go lefties.

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    I am a lefty my xd gives me no problems. I like the feel of the reg xd. The feel of the xdm is not appealing to me at all have not shot the m&p yet but i do hear good things. Never had any probs with my xd i am considering buying a 9mm next.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    You could get a CZ75 or EAA Witness. SA/DA with the cocked and locked option is the best of both worlds. With the Witness you can get slides and barrels th cover box stock to unlimited class major and minor in most any event.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    An add in this months issue of American Rifleman states that the M&P has the following but the XD(m) does not.

s,m,l, Patented palmswell grips
    ambidextrous slide stop
    embedded stainless steel chassis
    ambidextrous thumb saftey, optional
    made in the USA

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl