• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I thought this was awesome:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/16/opinion/cupp-hunting-while-pregnant/

Spoiler alert: She was invited to go dove hunting right here in MD...

In late August, when I was just about to start my third trimester, my husband and I were invited to go dove hunting in Eastern Maryland with a friend running for Maryland state delegate.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Is there a concern about the intensity of sound traveling through her body? I dont know how much sound gets muffled by the human body but I would be worried about any damage to the halfling's ears. I can't imagine just an inch or two of flesh is enough to properly shield developing ears from the auditory crack of a gunshot.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I will not take a pregnant woman on the range for any live fire.

1) Lead exposure to the fetus
    2) Noise exposure from gunfire
    3) Recoil from the firearm (depending on the gun) may jar the fetus

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    I will not take a pregnant woman on the range for any live fire.

1) Lead exposure to the fetus
    2) Noise exposure from gunfire
    3) Recoil from the firearm (depending on the gun) may jar the fetus

Added....
    4)Emotional instablility around firearms is not a good idea
    5)Inability to shoot prone
    6)Morning sickness that lasts all day. The ROs dont accommodate puke.
    7)Most pregnant women refuse to use the porta johns

Joking of course

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    yeah sorry, I think it should be up to the woman to decide whether to take the risk. If someone breaks into her home while alone & pregnant the potential lead exposure from the criminal may exceed the exposure on the range. If she is out of practice, you are avoiding one bad thing but potentially creating another risk.

sigh... I can see from this thread why women don't like men to teach them firearms skills.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Doing anything for a repeated and prolonged period will cause problems, including inactivity, which can lead to blood clots and nerve damage. it's a question of amount. I am probably biased. I find pregnant women with shotguns to be very sexy and scary the same time. As in: don't mess with my cubs.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    yeah sorry, I think it should be up to the woman to decide whether to take the risk.

Just like it should be up to the parents to decide to allow an untrained 9 year old girl to shoot a full auto Uzi?

Sometimes as instructors and RSO's, we have to use some common sense to protect people from themselves. Shooting 2-4 rounds in self defense is vastly different than the many rounds that someone will fire during target shooting. Even past pregnancy is the breast feeding issue. I won't have breast feeding moms around lead particulate either.

You can talk about it being the woman's choice and all, but I have a business to run, and income that my family depends on. Its not worth the $50 to $100 to take a pregnant woman on the range and see Johnny pop out 9 months later and there is something wrong.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Dont stick your tongue in the barrel and dont lick the shells and you wont have lead exposure while hunting. In a indoor range going through hundteds of rounds of cast lead bullets you may have a slight exposure, but not from a couple of shot-shells or rifle rounds outdoors.
    The only concern I would have is with exposure to unknown avian viruses while handling downed fowl.
    Pregnant women are not made from porcelain. Most would avoid the physical challenges of climbing into treestands or stalking elk, but if someone is up for it, I dont see a reason to avoid it.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Just like it should be up to the parents to decide to allow an untrained 9 year old girl to shoot a full auto Uzi?

Sometimes as instructors and RSO's, we have to use some common sense to protect people from themselves. Shooting 2-4 rounds in self defense is vastly different than the many rounds that someone will fire during target shooting. Even past pregnancy is the breast feeding issue. I won't have breast feeding moms around lead particulate either.

You can talk about it being the woman's choice and all, but I have a business to run, and income that my family depends on. Its not worth the $50 to $100 to take a pregnant woman on the range and see Johnny pop out 9 months later and there is something wrong.

Doing it for liability reasons so you dont have to deal with it is very different than "for their own good." You are making a lot if assumptions. If you live in an older Baltimore house your exposure to lead, noise, and other things is far greater than that from an hour at the range. Women have been handling firearms for 900 years. Odds are, the drive to the range is less safe than the shooting itself.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Doing it for liability reasons so you dont have to deal with it is very different than "for their own good." You are making a lot if assumptions.

Yes, being that it is my business and my livelihood, I tend to make assumptions that help me to stay in business. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom