• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I was getting ready to buy new broad heads today and couldn't get past spending $10-$12 per broad head. I was specifically looking for Rage heads, but it seems like all of the big names are selling at that price point.

Anyways, I stumbled across cheap, knock off Rage heads on Amazon, and all of them get great reviews for a fraction of the price!

Here's the link for all the other cheap a$$ bow hunters out there :toothless

http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Expan...=undefined&sr=8-3&keywords=buffalo+broadheads

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Tried to find out where they were made but no luck. I always try to avoid Chi-com stuff. Most of it is junk.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I'm sure they are Chi-com for that price. That actually makes me want to try them out even more and compare them side by side to a Rage

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I like deals but I refuse to "test" these type of things out on live animals and risk wounding them or making them suffer. If you want to save money buy fixed heads and resharpen them. Use the same head on 5 deer instead of the rage on 1.

Heck even my NAP Spitfires have taken 3+ deer without even changing blades.

rocksnsticks

Jan 20, 2013
    Westminster MD
    Saw firsthand an incident where a bear was harvested with a firearm that had a wound in it's midsection. While dressing out the bear a mechanical broad head (G5) was discovered that didn't deploy the blades properly and just wounded the animal. There are good and bad options for both fixed and mechanical broad heads, just make certain either are sharp, clean and in proper working condition, the last thing any of us want is a wounded animal. Finally, practice with them since they might be of additional weight and will fly differently than field points.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Saw firsthand an incident where a bear was harvested with a firearm that had a wound in it's midsection. While dressing out the bear a mechanical broad head (G5) was discovered that didn't deploy the blades properly and just wounded the animal. There are good and bad options for both fixed and mechanical broad heads, just make certain either are sharp, clean and in proper working condition, the last thing any of us want is a wounded animal. Finally, practice with them since they might be of additional weight and will fly differently than field points.

Not to detract from what you are saying but I hear that from dedicated firearm hunters a lot...but Im willing to bet there are a lot of rifle misses that wound animals too...

rocksnsticks

Jan 20, 2013
    Westminster MD
    Not to detract from what you are saying but I hear that from dedicated firearm hunters a lot...but Im willing to bet there are a lot of rifle misses that wound animals too...
    Wilcam47, it wasn't a miss with the G5 in fact had the blades deployed it would've been a nice double lung hit. My point was to make certain your gear and skills are sharp (pun intended) and working properly. I agree, a person can miss just as easily with a firearm as they can with a bow, dart, stick, club…whatever the weapon of choice.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Wilcam47, it wasn't a miss with the G5 in fact had the blades deployed it would've been a nice double lung hit. My point was to make certain your gear and skills are sharp (pun intended) and working properly. I agree, a person can miss just as easily with a firearm as they can with a bow, dart, stick, club…whatever the weapon of choice.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:X1000 doesnt matter how powerful your rifle is or how sharp your blades are if you cant and dont know where the weapon is shooting!:D

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Thanks for the tip. I use the 3-blade personally but did not see them.

Rage are not as hard on the wallet as other broadheads I've tried. I have one that's a multiple season serial killer :D I just sharpen or replace the blades (I think the replacement blade kit is like $12 and gives you blades for 3 broadheads). I have tried many, keep going back to Rage.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    Wilcam47, it wasn't a miss with the G5 in fact had the blades deployed it would've been a nice double lung hit.

How? A field point that double lungs an animal will still kill it. The blades deploying have no effect on shot placement, unless it was so close as to be "almost" a kill shot in which case the blades deploying would have given the extra half an inch to nick the lungs. Just curious about your statement.

rocksnsticks

Jan 20, 2013
    Westminster MD
    How? A field point that double lungs an animal will still kill it. The blades deploying have no effect on shot placement, unless it was so close as to be "almost" a kill shot in which case the blades deploying would have given the extra half an inch to nick the lungs. Just curious about your statement.

Can't say for certain. When the bear was dressed and skinned there was a wound (fresh) right behind the front leg. Further skinning and dressing disclosed the arrow tip with the broad blades non-deployed. Perhaps a shot too far, not enough energy to deploy the blades ? Upon removal the broad head seemed to function properly but the blades just didn't deploy. It's pure speculation as to why the blades didn't deploy but after witnessing this firsthand I'm not going to use these heads. I'm going to take every precaution to ensure a fast humane kill.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I like deals but I refuse to "test" these type of things out on live animals and risk wounding them or making them suffer. If you want to save money buy fixed heads and resharpen them. Use the same head on 5 deer instead of the rage on 1.

Heck even my NAP Spitfires have taken 3+ deer without even changing blades.

I reuse my Rage (you can get replacement blades). Wacked many deer.

I tried G5 last year - the issue I had was the broadhead breaking off the arrow. Both times were through&through, so it seems to have happened when it hit the ground after traveling through the deer (never happened with Rage or anything else). I am going to try G5 once more this year, to see if it was a fluke.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I tried Rages when they first came out. Shot 5 deer. The only one I recovered was the one I spine shot. Maybe it was just me?

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    I bought some of these Rage knockoffs just to try out - the one I have used so far resulted in normal complete pass thru and blades opened like I expected -so far so good---a lot cheaper than the $15/apiece Rage heads- I don't see much difference -head appears to be intact and re usable- didn't shed any blades and didn't break, don't think the deer could tell the difference. I have used many different mechanicals with my crossbow- they all seem to kill deer ok and fly well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom