• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    is the email copy the only copy you get?

The emailed pdf is the only copy ATF sends but you can log in and download another copy if you lose the email.

No hard copy follow up by mail though.

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    The emailed pdf is the only copy ATF sends but you can log in and download another copy if you lose the email.

No hard copy follow up by mail though.

This is just the approval letter? or the tax stamp. I always assumed that the tax stamp would show up in the mail?

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    This is just the approval letter? or the tax stamp. I always assumed that the tax stamp would show up in the mail?

What OE said. Your approval letter is literally the stamp on your form 1. It’ll also be signed by your examiner and marked with an 'X' in the approved box at the bottom of page 1.

eForm definitely doesn't provide a mailed copy though. If you were to snail mail your form 1 app, 7-9 months from now you'd receive a traditional stamped/approved form 1 by mail.

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    What OE said. Your approval letter is literally the stamp on your form 1. It’ll also be signed by your examiner and marked with an 'X' in the approved box at the bottom of page 1.

eForm definitely doesn't provide a mailed copy though. If you were to snail mail your form 1 app, 7-9 months from now you'd receive a traditional stamped/approved form 1 by mail.

Thank you.

Joshluseal

Sep 5, 2013
    Behind cover
    So I just submitted my form 1 by eforms and it came back with an error about the line items being a null value but that the form was submitted successfully complete with application number. When I went back to the line item section where I enter all of the specs requested...there was nothing there. I clicked on view form and there is nothing in those line item sections. Is there a way to edit the submission. At this point it looks like I submitted a form 1 for an SBR with no description. :mad54:

Joshluseal

Sep 5, 2013
    Behind cover
    So I just submitted my form 1 by eforms and it came back with an error about the line items being a null value but that the form was submitted successfully complete with application number. When I went back to the line item section where I enter all of the specs requested...there was nothing there. I clicked on view form and there is nothing in those line item sections. Is there a way to edit the submission. At this point it looks like I submitted a form 1 for an SBR with no description. :mad54:

False alarm! It must have updated cause all the info is there now. :facepalm: Crossing my fingers now.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Been looking for a Cliff Notes type of book that explains all this stuff in layman's terms with no luck. Html, text, pdf,jpeg and so on. Not everyone in this world is computer literate. Borrowing the kid thing etc, is like listening to Chinese. Some people are fascinated by computers and dive into them. Others like me would rather have a root canal.
    While the ATF thing is voluntary what pisses me off is that there are millions of old people w/o computers being told they have to do everything by computer now. Seems pretty discriminatory to do this to people who can barley operate a cell phone. Of course if they were illegal there would be all kinds of free help in any F'g language they need.

Sometimes I feel that people are rushing into trusts and not knowing what they are doing. Otherwise, for me, it's not the technical computer stuff that's baffling, I just don't understand the need for a trust. I assume that efiling is a way to speed up the process of having a trust on record.
    All that I want is my wife (or family member) be able to inherit my firearms thru a standard Will when I decease. I'm sure that someone will point out that I'm missing sonething (and I probably am).

Edit: I think a Form 4 is needed if one wants to obtain NFA Class III items like suppressors, sawed off shotguns and short barreled rifles. I'm not inrerested in obtaining these, so I don't see the need to have a Trust.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Jesus H Christ-I doubt if I'll ever be able to exile a From 1 as this is all gibberish to me. Computer crap is like rocket science to me. Scan, shrink, pdf etc-hows an old guy learn this stuff?

1) Do your trust.

2) Go to someplace like Kinko's with a copy of your executed trust. Tell them you want it scanned to a file size less than 3 megabytes. Or to multiple <3MB files.

3) eFile

Easy breezy Japanesey?

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Sometimes I feel that people are rushing into trusts and not knowing what they are doing. Otherwise, for me, it's not the technical computer stuff that's baffling, I just don't understand the need for a trust. I assume that efiling is a way to speed up the process of having a trust on record.
    All that I want is my wife (or family member) be able to inherit my firearms thru a standard Will when I decease. I'm sure that someone will point out that I'm missing sonething (and I probably am).

Edit: I think a Form 4 is needed if one wants to obtain NFA Class III items like suppressors, sawed off shotguns and short barreled rifles. I'm not inrerested in obtaining these, so I don't see the need to have a Trust.

Im sorry, I am confused, why comment in the NFA sub forum if you have no interest in NFA items? Also a Trust isnt needed to obtain NFA Items, can be done via individual file.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

If you are not going to own any NFA items. There is no reason for a trust.

If you do have NFA items, a trust allows your wife to have access to the safe where you store the NFA items. It is illegal to have anyone else have access to the safe with NFA items or to those items. A trust allows all named trustees to have access.

If you die without a trust and have NFA items, then they will have to transferred to your wife. I am not sure if a $200 PER ITEM tax is needed with inheritance, but it will require paperwork for her to legally have access.

And in making or getting NFA items, a trust allows you (at this time, subject to change) apply directly to the BATFE without local LEO signoff, and fingerprinting, and passport photos every time you buy one or transfer one.

And finally, eFiling is MUCH faster than paper filing.

And as has been mentioned, this IS the NFA section, so if you have no desire to own NFA items, all the conversations in this section are not applicable to you.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    If you are not going to own any NFA items. There is no reason for a trust.

If you do have NFA items, a trust allows your wife to have access to the safe where you store the NFA items. It is illegal to have anyone else have access to the safe with NFA items or to those items. A trust allows all named trustees to have access.

If you die without a trust and have NFA items, then they will have to transferred to your wife. I am not sure if a $200 PER ITEM tax is needed with inheritance, but it will require paperwork for her to legally have access.

And in making or getting NFA items, a trust allows you (at this time, subject to change) apply directly to the BATFE without local LEO signoff, and fingerprinting, and passport photos every time you buy one or transfer one.

And finally, eFiling is MUCH faster than paper filing.

And as has been mentioned, this IS the NFA section, so if you have no desire to own NFA items, all the conversations in this section are not applicable to you.

Thank you for your thorough explanation. Appreciated!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Just efiled my first form 1. Not so fast. I almost efiled my first form 1. got all the way to the Certify(which I clicked on) then went and clicked on the Pay button and it sent me to a page showing that it went straight to draft. Tried a second time with the same result. Where'd I go wrong? I did get the green section saying everything was correct.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Just efiled my first form 1. Not so fast. I almost efiled my first form 1. got all the way to the Certify(which I clicked on) then went and clicked on the Pay button and it sent me to a page showing that it went straight to draft. Tried a second time with the same result. Where'd I go wrong? I did get the green section saying everything was correct.
    Are you using Explorer?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Eureka! Don't know what I did right this time but,. it worked. Thanks for the help, Wayne1one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom