• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    You guys win - this is actually worse than Montgomery County. They let you shoot indoors in MoCo at least. I was just shooting my "1911" in the basement yesterday. Nice option when you can't get out to the range and/or the weather sucks. BTW, I cannot imagine anybody will know or care if you shoot in the basement. Just wear eye protection, those things can bounce even with a pellet trap. I actually had one ping off my safety glasses once.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    You guys win - this is actually worse than Montgomery County. They let you shoot indoors in MoCo at least. I was just shooting my "1911" in the basement yesterday. Nice option when you can't get out to the range and/or the weather sucks. BTW, I cannot imagine anybody will know or care if you shoot in the basement. Just wear eye protection, those things can bounce even with a pellet trap. I actually had one ping off my safety glasses once.

Here in Howard County we can shoot a pellet gun inside. When you say you were shooting your 1911 in the basement, are we talking 45 ACP or .177? Not so sure shooting a 1911 firearm in the basement flies in Montgomery County, but I have not read that ordinance in quite a while now.

kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    Has anyone really had a run in with a LEO for shooting a BB gun in their backyard? I would tend to believe they would not enforce this law, but who knows.

I got into a tiff w/ a neighbor who's kid was shooting an airsoft in my front yard/on the green electrical box. I was all for him shooting, just not 5 feet (literally) from where why in laws we sitting on our front lawn - got tired of getting flak from them. So, I just asked the neighbor to have his kid take it in the back where no one was around. His answer: " My son's 15 yrs old, what could possibly happen.......... ".

I live in Ellicott City and called to HoCo PD to see if there were on any laws about this kind of thing, and the officer on duty said that the Police would only intervene if the kid was shooting people/property, etc. And even then, they'd probably just ask him to stop.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    Here in Howard County we can shoot a pellet gun inside. When you say you were shooting your 1911 in the basement, are we talking 45 ACP or .177? Not so sure shooting a 1911 firearm in the basement flies in Montgomery County, but I have not read that ordinance in quite a while now.

That is why the 1911 is in quotes. It is one of these:

http://www.airgundepot.com/tanfoglio-witness-35803.html

It is all metal and the action even cycles with each shot. Not bad for something you can use in the basement.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    That is why the 1911 is in quotes. It is one of these:

http://www.airgundepot.com/tanfoglio-witness-35803.html

It is all metal and the action even cycles with each shot. Not bad for something you can use in the basement.

I think Leeann has one of those with a different brand name on it. They are amazingly like a real handgun, and stunningly accurate and powerful. You don't want to be too close to your target unless you have a good trap.

tigmaned

Feb 25, 2007
    Crofton
    a little help then. were would look for a law like this if i live in Anne Arundel County?? wouldn't want my RWS taken away.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The AGC range is 10 minutes up the road from me in Carroll County and a farm I hunt on is 5 minutes down the road. One way or another, my kids will get to shoot and hunt plenty. Might even install my own indoor range. lol

Several of the AGC clubs have good junior programs so as soon as your kids are old enough get them signed up and shooting on a regular basis.

As far as you using your air rifle in Howard county. If you check the hunting regulations you will find the following:

Note: The woodchuck and nutria are classified as “unprotected mammals.” As such, a hunting license is not required to hunt woodchucks and nutria except in Baltimore and Frederick Counties. Woodchucks and nutria may be hunted throughout the year, including on Sundays. Hunters must wear fluorescent orange while hunting woodchucks. All legal hunting devices may be used to hunt woodchucks and nutria.

and
    Air rifles are legal to use for hunting in Maryland and must comply with the rifle regulations. Air rifles may not be used to hunt turkeys in the spring season or migratory game birds. They are not legal for deer or bear hunting because they do not meet the minimum muzzle energy standard for rifles noted below.

So I would suggest you take up hunting woodchucks and nutria and if you happen to miss that wiley nutria and hit a tin can that's just hunters luck. If the police stop you simply explain that you are hunting in compliance with Maryland Department of Natural Resources directives.

You could also hunt coyotes because there is no closed season on them but you would need a hunting license for them. There is also a DNR web page that states coyotes are found in every county in Maryland. So if they are there you can hunt them although you may not bag any.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I like to shoot Starlings and English Sparrows in my backyard. A few days ago, I nailed a sparrow sitting on the back fence. It was about a 30 foot shot from the second floor window of the kid's bedroom to the top of the fence at the back end of the yard. That's the kind of shooting I like.

bobbygege

Mar 5, 2014
    I just noticed this thread. It's not only the County law because individual Town laws may differ from the County. Harford County allows pellet guns on private property with the property owner permission or a range you set up in your home. Bel Air makes it illegal to fire a pellet gun EVERYWHERE other than a range.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I shoot in my back yard with my daughter very, very often. I use the WE G19 Glock 19 replica. It is VERY realistic. I highly recommend it to anyone with a Glock. See the Youtube review at the link. You will want to train on small moving targets to refine your point shooting accuracy. Squirrels and birds work very well. Not that I do anything of the sort. :innocent0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkTex7YirJc

Attachments

• GP-WE-G19-GBB-1.jpg
      GP-WE-G19-GBB-1.jpg
      24.6 KB · Views: 427

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads