• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Recently purchased a GSG 1911 as gift for my mother. More and more break-ins and robberies where she lives and wanted to learn how to shoot pistols again. She wants a Colt 1911 so figured the GSG would make a perfect trainer.

That said, what upgrades would you guys recommend for them? I see a whole host of upgrades from compensators to slides to a whole host of standard 1911 parts.

I plan on grabbing a couple extra mags (on sale at CDNN for $20 each right now FYI) and some standard 1911 Hogue grips (rubber or rosewood? hmm...). What else should be on the list?

As always, thanks!

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Forget the hogue grips, The crimson trace 1911 laser grips fit the GSG-1911.

Also look at the threaded adapter (~ $40). the GSG-1911 was meant to be suppressed :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I would just shoot it.

Once you decide on how her 1911 (GREAT choice BTW :) ) will be set up, match that with the 22.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    What pinecone said.

Find what works with the 22 configured for best shootability for your Mom. I use (well, when the Bozo scalpers aren't keeping the shelves cleared of ammo) a 22 1911 as a trainer/practice pistol for it's centerline counter parts. Just the grip safety configuration on my guns will cut groups in half relative to it being shootable in my hands. Most of my 1911's have a high hold grip safety and a flat mainspring housing. There are other parts of the formula but that's beside the point. I configured a dime a dozen A1 grip safety to that of the early 1911 short spur safety, a polymer flat mainspring housing and get a very similar grip. Cost me $3 for the housing. I shaped the grip safety for free. If the trigger is rough it is worth getting it tuned by a good 1911 smith. Then the sight picture needs to be determined.

These are my priorities on the 1911 and your Mom's may differ. .

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    The guide rod on mine broke after a few hundred rounds. I totally recommend replacing that. JoeBobs had a sale on 'em a while back.

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    Here's my "to be replaced" list for my GSG 1911-22. Rougly in order of importance to me.

1) Sights (the plastic sights are horrible and seem to want to shift around on me. I have zero confidence in them)
    2) Safety lever (want one that feels better under the thumb)
    3) Flat Mainspring housing/deactivate magazine safety (I prefer a flat mainspring housing.)
    4)Grips. I'd like to get some G10 Super Scoops, But I hear some fitment issues exist.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Here's my "to be replaced" list for my GSG 1911-22. Rougly in order of importance to me.

1) Sights (the plastic sights are horrible and seem to want to shift around on me. I have zero confidence in them)
    2) Safety lever (want one that feels better under the thumb)
    3) Flat Mainspring housing/deactivate magazine safety (I prefer a flat mainspring housing.)
    4)Grips. I'd like to get some G10 Super Scoops, But I hear some fitment issues exist.

Thanks for the advice! Are the sights standards 1911 sights?

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    The guide rod on mine broke after a few hundred rounds. I totally recommend replacing that. JoeBobs had a sale on 'em a while back.

This is what I was alluding too in my original post, I've heard this is the most common, and only serious, problem with the GSG 1911-22. I'll order up a stainless!

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    I have one of them.. and what a pain in the azz it was at first... After doing some research I finally got it running great...If the bottom of the slide is painted... remove the Paint.. that will make a big difference in the way she runs

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    Thanks for the advice! Are the sights standards 1911 sights?

I've not done any of that work yet. It is just a wish list after having the gun a little while. The gun is shootable without the work, but sights are definitely my #1 thing I'm going to do.

They appear to be close to, but not exactly like novak sights. I hear it takes some file work (on the sights) to fit them.

Mine has not been terribly picky about ammo. It has shot Remington Golden Bullet, CCI MiniMags and Federal high velocity ammo well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom