• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Does it really matter? They should all be cut to spec for a SAAMI chamber... that said, I have Wilson in 300AAC and my 308 case gauge is from JP Rifles, who cut the match chamber on my longer 308 bbl. Both work fine for determining fit and case length, one costs way less... LOL

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Yes, it matters, some are better than others.
    How so? Just curious, as they should be machined to SAAMI specs, if the case fits, it will chamber.

Now I know some like the EGW are more multipurpose and that is great if you load multiple calibers.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    How so? Just curious, as they should be machined to SAAMI specs, if the case fits, it will chamber.

Now I know some like the EGW are more multipurpose and that is great if you load multiple calibers.

Should be, and are, different things. Some are cheaply made, and just close. I don't shop at dollar stores either. A waste of money in my experience.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Okay, that I will concede... lol

Most often, I use the actual weapon's chamber that I am loading for. A dummy or two always starts the process for any new projectiles, but I do double check my 300AAC and 308 cases when setting up for sizing using a case gauge, the other many calibers I load for, not so much..

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I like the Dillon Products...

These guys are Reloading Machine Designers & Tool Makers...

So they use Tool Steel & Machine their gauges to very exact tolerances...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Out of Dillon, Wilson, EGW, or other "name" brands, whichever is cheapest.

No, not Chinese knockoffs, but the name people all make good ones.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    For autopistol I've used Dillons and one other from way back, forget the maker. I have had good success with both. The Dillons are the one I use most. I have several match barrel guns with match spec chambers and if the round fits in the Dillon gauge, it will fit in the pistol's barrel. FWIW, for best reliability, I only put rounds in the finished boxes which enter the case gauge which drop in freely and with a nice plunk sound. Rounds which seem snug but pass the test and failed gauge tested rounds go in the practice bag.

The other case gauge (38 Spec/45 ACP, yep, double ended) I use at the range to gauge a round which fails to completely enter a chamber. I don't know why I carry it...I've used it twice for this purpose in the 25+ years I've had it.

CXD Arms

Feb 27, 2014
    Anne Arundel
    I don't know if this was brought up but the Dillon are made of stainless steel. Not sure about the Wilson ones.

I think I have Wilson case gauges and if I had to do it again I would buy the Dillon based on being stainless steel. Dillon gauges will last longer based on that.

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    If you load multiple calibers the Lyman multi-caliber pistol/rifle gauges are nice.

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    I don't know if this was brought up but the Dillon are made of stainless steel. Not sure about the Wilson ones.

I believe that Wilson uses tool steel. I have seen Wilson trimmers and such get surface rust on them. That wouldn't be an issue if it was stainless.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    For pistol I have a set from Midway that came with 6 common calibers.

For rifle, I have Wilson. But would not mind Dillon.

Tool steel is harder than stainless, so should last longer, IF you take care of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom