• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Been shooting Bullseye league at AGC for the past year and am really enjoying it. Currently shoot a stock Browning Buckmark URX Contour 5.25 inch 22lr pistol.

Doing well but want to learn on a dedicated 1911 platform 45 acp.

Currently looking at a couple of pistols on Gunbroker and the two I am most interested in are about $300 apart.

One is an older used custom built Bullseye pistol
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=484779731

The other is a new Colt custom shop Bullseye pistol..http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=484689005

Anyone with experience in Bullseye shooting think either of these might be a good starting point for the price?

Personally I am leaning towards the Colt, but was hoping for some other opinions.

Thanks in advance..

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Been shooting Bullseye league at AGC for the past year and am really enjoying it. Currently shoot a stock Browning Buckmark URX Contour 5.25 inch 22lr pistol.

Doing well but want to learn on a dedicated 1911 platform 45 acp.

Currently looking at a couple of pistols on Gunbroker and the two I am most interested in are about $300 apart.

One is an older used custom built Bullseye pistol
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=484779731

The other is a new Colt custom shop Bullseye pistol..http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=484689005

Anyone with experience in Bullseye shooting think either of these might be a good starting point for the price?

Personally I am leaning towards the Colt, but was hoping for some other opinions.

Thanks in advance..

That Colt is in a shop a few miles from the pawn shop I work in. If I get time on a lunch break or something, I could drive over and see if I can get my eyes on it to see if there is anything not visible in the pics on GB.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    I'm a Bullseye shooter and would encourage you to take a look at the Springfield Range Officer. Outstanding gun for a lot less money and capable of very close to X ring accuracy at 50 yards right out of the box.

Of the folks on my team, 5 of us have Range Officers and every one has been outstanding for fit, finish, reliable function, and accuracy. 2 of the 5 of us made the President's Hundred with RO's at Camp Perry last year. Additionally, the factory RO is now legal for CMP Service Pistol matches too.

Out of the box, the only tweaks they generally need are a trigger job to get to the desired pull weight, matching the recoil spring to the ammo you plan to shoot, and a lighter mainspring (particularly if you think you may want to get a .22 conversion some day). I also replaced the titanium factory firing pin with a steel one & added grip tape to the front strap. These mods are very inexpensive compared to buying a $1400+ gun.

The money you're looking at spending would buy you not only a match-ready Range Officer but also the reloading gear/components you need to make lots of ammo for practice/competition. Whatever you decide, best wishes...PM me if you need/want more info.

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I'm a Bullseye shooter and would encourage you to take a look at the Springfield Range Officer. Outstanding gun for a lot less money and capable of very close to X ring accuracy at 50 yards right out of the box.

Of the folks on my team, 5 of us have Range Officers and every one has been outstanding for fit, finish, reliable function, and accuracy. 2 of the 5 of us made the President's Hundred with RO's at Camp Perry last year. Additionally, the factory RO is now legal for CMP Service Pistol matches too.

Out of the box, the only tweaks they generally need are a trigger job to get to the desired pull weight, matching the recoil spring to the ammo you plan to shoot, and a lighter mainspring (particularly if you think you may want to get a .22 conversion some day). I also replaced the titanium factory firing pin with a steel one & added grip tape to the front strap. These mods are very inexpensive compared to buying a $1400+ gun.

The money you're looking at spending would buy you not only a match-ready Range Officer but also the reloading gear/components you need to make lots of ammo for practice/competition. Whatever you decide, best wishes...PM me if you need/want more info.

I will definitely take a look at the range officer pistols....I am not in a huge hurry...just saw these two and wanted to see if they were worth the money or if I might be better off with something else to start.

I appreciate the info...will check them out...

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I have to second the Springfield Range Officer. Rich Kang, who is a pretty well respected Bullseye shooter turned me on to using a RO, and installing a "Kart" Barrel. Mine outshoots all my other 1911s.

Walton Feep

Sep 29, 2012
    EdRod68,

I have a SA RO and second the recommendation. It was recommended to me by a former Camp Perry Civilian Bullseye Champion. I should be at AGC on Tuesday. You can try mine. It currently has a Burris Fastfire III and Vitarbo grips on it. I have been away for 6 weeks but usually I am down at the left end of the line. I have the black box with "Marvin the Martian" on the side and usually wear a "Maine" cap. See you Tuesday. I am pretty sure I know you from previous matches.

Last edited:

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    EdRod68,

I have a SA RO and second the recommendation. It was recommended to me by a former Camp Perry Civilian Bullseye Champion. I should be at AGC on Tuesday. You can try mine. It currently has a Burris Fastfire III and Vitarbo grips on it. I have been away for 6 weeks but usually I am down at the left end of the line. I have the black box with "Marvin the Martian" on the side and usually wear a "Maine" cap. See you Tuesday. I am pretty sure I know you from previous matches.

Will do..much appreciated sir...see you then

CSJ

Dec 20, 2013
    Rockville
    I own a colt model O1970CY. The difference between that and the one in your link is the sights. Mine has the Novak 3-dot adjustable night sights. I don't do any bullseye shooting but ILove the accuracy of mine. In the right hands and with the adj sights that gun should serve you well. The only thing I don't like about the O1970cm is the sights are black on black, hard to pick up at times but easily remedied. I can't really comment on 50 yards, I can't see that far. :) The fit and finish on the model is superb and it has performed flawlessly

Walton Feep

Sep 29, 2012
    BTW, my RO was $710 at Buds. No mods done other than the dot and grips so you can judge how it shoots "out of the box".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom