• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    My 13 year old daughter is interested in learning how to shoot and hunt, and she is a lefty. I've been looking for a youth 20 gauge and maybe a .22. The choice of LH firearms especially youth models has been much more limited than I expected. Are there any lefties out there that shoot right handed guns, and does the discharge of shells or other issues cause problems?

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Check her eye dominance. I'm left handed, but right eye dominate, so I shoot better right handed. My wife is left handed to, insists she's left eye dominate, so she shoot's left handed. She doesn't have much choice on shooting right handed guns. She hasn't had any problems with any hand guns and only fired one AK without incident.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    She's left eye dominant, she has been shooting a left handed bow for about 4 years and we had the eye dominance checked.

Check her eye dominance. I'm left handed, but right eye dominate, so I shoot better right handed. My wife is left handed to, insists she's left eye dominate, so she shoot's left handed. She doesn't have much choice on shooting right handed guns. She hasn't had any problems with any hand guns and only fired one AK without incident.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    My 13 year old daughter is interested in learning how to shoot and hunt, and she is a lefty. I've been looking for a youth 20 gauge and maybe a .22. The choice of LH firearms especially youth models has been much more limited than I expected. Are there any lefties out there that shoot right handed guns, and does the discharge of shells or other issues cause problems?

good for her, you, another plus for all of us..A lefty here but can shoot either way...dominate left hand. As far as discharges only problems or issues I have had and seen is with .22 semi's not all, powder residue, shooting glasses helps
    (a must anyway) cheaper dirty .22's more so. Shotguns no issues, Rem 1100 12ga., Browning, others no problems. Semi-auto rifles (not rimfire) no problems. Only handgun that gets me once in a while is a custom .45, it likes to eject the cases up and back a little to the right sometimes beaning me on the top of the head. :D When I had hair on top it didn't bother me, now with less hair, there is no cushion...per say...

Find one that fits her, and have at it... good quality time...another proud Dad...

-Rock

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    I'm a lefty and shoot lefty . Shell ejection has never been an issue. Controls on different firearms takes some getting used to, but really doesn't matter if you never shot right handed to begin with.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    There are left handed 870 shotguns and you can buy the youth stock separately, I do believe there are youth Ithaca model 37 shotguns, which ejects from the bottom. So, I know you can find a shotgun for her. As far as 22LR, the only one I can think of is the Browning T Bolt which has a left handed model and I do believe they also sell them in a LH youth model.

Good luck!

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD

Browning pumps eject out the bottom and have a top safety so they would be a good choice for a shotgun, or you could go with an over/under.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    If you want to start her with a single-barrel shotgun, there are multiple options. My son's first shotgun was a Winchester model 37A in 20 ga. The breach is unlocked by a top lever that should be reachable by either thumb. This shotgun also requires manually cocking the hammer, so there's an extra degree of safety in being able immediately see if the gun is cocked or not.

JoeR

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I'm a lefty but do a lot of things right handed. My dad taught me to shoot a rifle and a bow right handed when I was a kid. I am right eye dominant and it took me years to figure out why I couldn't hit anything shooting a pistol left handed. Took me a couple of years to get comfortable shooting right handed but now it is almost natural.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    Both my 15 year-old and I are lefties (sinister in Latin) and we only shoot right handed rifles and shotguns. Not really a problem. When I did a carbine course last year, the instructor was also sinister. We used dextrous rifles and he showed me how it can actually make par times faster to be sinister.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

Start with s pump 20ga or pump .22. Jeeps the brass out of her face and it requires more thoughtful shots.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Left eye/left hand dominant on long guns, aside from bullpups, all my rifles are standard right-hand design. Shoot them with no issue. Even standard bolt actions I shoot southpaw, but that isn't ideal for off-hand shots - prone with a bipod or on a bench, no issue.

I actually prefer shooting AR's as a lefty in their standard configuration, the ejecting brass doesn't even cross your field of vision - unless your doing some both eyes open shooting, but even then it's not a distraction, for me anyways.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Left hand/eye for me as well. Shoot all right handed guns other than a Ruger 77 that is a left handed bolt action gun. Never had a problem with any handgun or long gun that I own, but when I was looking at a few pistols, some of the mag releases or de-cockers would be difficult for me.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Left handed -- Right eye dominant here. I've always shot right handed for everything. A few years ago, I tried to shoot trap as a left-hander, didn't work. I have pretty severe myopia, and my left eye is significantly worse than my right. I've wondered if my brain my have adapted to the difference in vision by becoming right eye dominant.

I've been wearing contacts for more than 30 years. When my eyes started to need some "help" for reading, my optometrist suggested that I try monovision. He checked to verify that I'm right eye dominant, then adjusted my right contact prescription to give decent distance vision. For my left eye, he adjusted the contact for reading distance -- basically just not fully correcting for my natural myopia. It's amazing just how fast your brain can adapt to the combining the two images. I've been wearing contacts that way for 5-6 years with no problems...and still don't need reading glasses.

For pistol shooting, I had a set of glasses made up that shift the monovision prescription to bring the front sight into focus...with the target becoming blurry. The glasses help for bullseye shooting, but don't make much of a difference for action events, like cowboy shooting.

JoeR

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Left handed -- Right eye dominant here. I've always shot right handed for everything. A few years ago, I tried to shoot trap as a left-hander, didn't work. I have pretty severe myopia, and my left eye is significantly worse than my right. I've wondered if my brain my have adapted to the difference in vision by becoming right eye dominant.

I've been wearing contacts for more than 30 years. When my eyes started to need some "help" for reading, my optometrist suggested that I try monovision. He checked to verify that I'm right eye dominant, then adjusted my right contact prescription to give decent distance vision. For my left eye, he adjusted the contact for reading distance -- basically just not fully correcting for my natural myopia. It's amazing just how fast your brain can adapt to the combining the two images. I've been wearing contacts that way for 5-6 years with no problems...and still don't need reading glasses.

For pistol shooting, I had a set of glasses made up that shift the monovision prescription to bring the front sight into focus...with the target becoming blurry. The glasses help for bullseye shooting, but don't make much of a difference for action events, like cowboy shooting.

JoeR

From what I have seen, you certainly don't need any help with a shotgun!

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    Left eye/left hand dominant on long guns, aside from bullpups, all my rifles are standard right-hand design. Shoot them with no issue. Even standard bolt actions I shoot southpaw, but that isn't ideal for off-hand shots - prone with a bipod or on a bench, no issue.

I actually prefer shooting AR's as a lefty in their standard configuration, the ejecting brass doesn't even cross your field of vision - unless your doing some both eyes open shooting, but even then it's not a distraction, for me anyways.

Same for me. I have gotten so used to shooting right hand rifles left handed, whenever do shoot a left handed rifle it is difficult for me. Mosr handguns youo can switch the mag release. Revolvers....well, I just deal with it. :innocent0;)

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I am left handed and left eye dominant. the only guns I have trouble with are right hand bolt guns especially with scopes. I would try to shoot those guns right handed but my brain would have none of it and force me to shoot left hand. I now have four left hand bolt rifles so my problem is solved.

FYI,

Savage has a left hand Axis youth model in .223, .243 and 7mm-08.

ironcity

Feb 6, 2013
    Taneytown
    I am lefty and all of my guns are right hand design except my AR15. I have shot right handed AR15 but decided that i wanted to buy the left hand model (STAG 2L). My shotgun is a pump as well as my rifle for hunting.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Lefty/right eye dominant. Grew up shooting pistols, bows, and golfing LH while shooting rifles RH. Switched to using a bow RH in 1975, golfing RH in 1980 but kept shooting pistols LH till 2011. In 6 months of intense practice after switching cold turkey I was a better shooter RH than I ever was LH (and I was not bad LH either). Other than guns with specialized grips for one hand or the other and the availability of ambidextrous safeties its pretty much the same thing with either hand.
    The new reigning MD Ladies USPSA action pistol champ, 18 YO Rosalie Hoyle, is a lefty/lefty. She started out with a Browning Buckmark .22 pistol at about 14 YO. She has shot 3-gun competition also.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I'm a lefty and shoot lefty . Shell ejection has never been an issue. Controls on different firearms takes some getting used to, but really doesn't matter if you never shot right handed to begin with.

Then you have been lucky. I have been tagged by shells a number of times, not to mention powder burns.

Eye protection is a MUST as a lefty. Don't ever think of skimping on that.

I have a ding on my right lens where a 9mm shell hit it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom