• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    my new project... The Remington 700 tactical SD ,308 Bolt action Rifle

I' ve been wanting a precision suppressed bolt gun for years. I finally pulled the trigger on this one. I've been looking around for one for a while now> It's been back-ordered. Found one in stock.. had to pay higher, but its okay... i'm a happy camper.

It's has a 20" 1:10 factory threaded heavy varmint profile barrel(5/8x24) green/ gray hogue overmolded pillar bedded stock and the new adjustable Remington X-Pro trigger ( factory set to 3.5LBS).

When I got it home. The barreled action and metal got to immediately move into a Bell and Carlson A5 stock. Full aluminum bedding, free- floated and adjustable Cheek piece, LOP. A harris 6-9 bipod has been mounted on the front.The trigger is phenomenal. I have it adjusted right now to break at 2.5 lbs.

For now, I'm shopping for optics and a YHM .308 Phantom QD suppressor.
    At some time, It is also going to be upgraded with a badger Ord. Bolt knob, bottom metal to accept AICS 10 round detachable mags.

For the optics.. I'm leaning towards a 10x SWFA Mil-Dot super sniper with a 20-MOA EGW base and rings.

This is an evolving project and post updates. When I get the scope, I'll take her out to Myrtle Grove for a test run.:thumbsup:

It will look something like this:

Attachments

• rifleoncase1.jpg
      rifleoncase1.jpg
      25.4 KB · Views: 924

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Sounds like it should be a good setup!

I had one of the local SWAT groups in here with suppressed .308s and sub-sonic ammo and we were banging my 6" popper at 400 yards.

I would suggest going to a 30 minute base - you'll need a whole bunch of elevation to dial in if you push the envelope at all. I have to dial my old scope to the top, then hold another 3 mils for my sub-sonic .22s at 300 yards. A 30 caliber subsonic 190 at 300 yards is about 35 MOA, 400 is 55 or so...

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    I am building something very similar, started with a sporter profile barrel 700spsturned that I won at the fall shoot last year. Going with a shillen barrel in the heavy varmint and having it threaded and the action worked at the same time. Where did you source the stock from? Locally or webs? I have seen some good prices on gunbroker for them.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I am building something very similar, started with a sporter profile barrel 700spsturned that I won at the fall shoot last year. Going with a shillen barrel in the heavy varmint and having it threaded and the action worked at the same time. Where did you source the stock from? Locally or webs? I have seen some good prices on gunbroker for them.

Internet... stockystocks.com

Masterchief36

Masterchief36
    May 16, 2009
    Va.
    SCARCQB said:
    my new project... The Remington 700 tactical SD ,308 Bolt action Rifle

I' ve been wanting a precision suppressed bolt gun for years. I finally pulled the trigger on this one. I've been looking around for one for a while now> It's been back-ordered. Found one in stock.. had to pay higher, but its okay... i'm a happy camper.

It's has a 20" 1:10 factory threaded heavy varmint profile barrel(5/8x24) green/ gray hogue overmolded pillar bedded stock and the new adjustable Remington X-Pro trigger ( factory set to 3.5LBS).

When I got it home. The barreled action and metal got to immediately move into a Bell and Carlson A5 stock. Full aluminum bedding, free- floated and adjustable Cheek piece, LOP. A harris 6-9 bipod has been mounted on the front.The trigger is phenomenal. I have it adjusted right now to break at 2.5 lbs.

For now, I'm shopping for optics and a YHM .308 Phantom QD suppressor.
    At some time, It is also going to be upgraded with a badger Ord. Bolt knob, bottom metal to accept AICS 10 round detachable mags.

For the optics.. I'm leaning towards a 10x SWFA Mil-Dot super sniper with a 20-MOA EGW base and rings.

This is an evolving project and post updates. When I get the scope, I'll take her out to Myrtle Grove for a test run.:thumbsup:

It will look something like this:

Sweet. Nice addition.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    You gonna get the YHM 7.62 Titanium or SS model? The Titanium will make the balance much better.

I'm getting the stainless phantom.. It's mainly going to be fired benchrested, with a bipod or sandbags. ( and budget reasons)

Getting ready just in case of a zombie outbreak.. I heard zombies tend to walk towards the sound of gunfire.. The report also enhances their appetite. Gotta go uber suppressed.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I'm getting the stainless phantom.. It's mainly going to be fired benchrested, with a bipod or sandbags. ( and budget reasons)

Getting ready just in case of a zombie outbreak.. I heard zombies tend to walk towards the sound of gunfire.. The report also enhances their appetite. Gotta go uber suppressed.

How quiet do you expect it to be?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    How quiet do you expect it to be?

AS quiet as a pellet gun:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ilCqAR90eA&feature=related

The 1:10 twist rate is optimized to stabilize the heaviest loads. With good ammo, it should be able to keep up with rsideout's silent death machine.

Some guy in Indiana has special 175-200 grain subsonic loads that measure less than 70db ( measure 12" from muzzle)( that is equivalent to office background noise).I cant wait to get some of his products. The 1:10 twist rate will stabilize these subsonic loads and is also well suited for heavy supersonic loads.

I was going with a 20 or 30 MOA base... the issue is that I only have access to a 200 yard range at the most.With a 30 moa base, I may end up running out of adjustments at shorter ranges. Doing research on optics at this point and I think the Konus M30 4-16x tactical may work. It has about 80 MOA of adjustment. a 20 moa base plus 80 moa elevation adjustment should be able to give me enough clicks to dial in for the subsonic loads at longer distances.

This is turning out to be a math/ science project..... I wish I could have done this in highschool.

Last edited:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ....I was going with a 20 or 30 MOA base... the issue is that I only have access to a 200 yard range at the most.With a 30 moa base, I may end up running out of adjustments at shorter ranges. Doing research on optics at this point and I think the Konus M30 4-16x tactical may work. It has about 80 MOA of adjustment. a 20 moa base plus 80 moa elevation adjustment should be able to give me enough clicks to dial in for the subsonic loads at longer distances....
    Yes, there is a risk of not being able to dial in at very close distances, but there are a few other things to think about that may complicate your calculations, including splitting that 80 moa adjustment range in two directions.

First, the bullet will usually be below the line of sight everywhere except your zero distance, so even the closest shots are likely to be dial-ups. Note that a 25 yard shot with a 100 yard zero will require something like 6-1/2 minutes up.

Then, be very careful about assuming that your scope will be in the middle of it's adjustment ranges when sitting parallel to the bore. IF it is, then your calculated come-up capability will be about right, but the odds are not in your favor. If your windage varies much from being centered (LOL, it IS a Remington), you will not get your full vertical adjustment range, since we move off-center of the round scope tube. If your elevation is not centered when you have the scope parallel to the bore, you may find yourself running out of adjustment in either direction prior to expecting to.

Finally, and even assuming (LOL) scope/bore alignment is good, you will have some elevation dialed on before you even start, which many math majors overlook.

Your first dial on value will be to converge the bore to the line of sight at zero distance. At 100 yards and a 2" scope/bore axis offset, you'll immediately put on 2 MOA up to converge.

Your second dial on value will be to get the raw drop out and bring the bullet up to the line of sight at zero distance. If you zero at 100 yards, your subsonic load will have approximately 17" of raw drop. This will require some 16 MOA up, again, to just get zeroed.

So, from a perfectly aligned scope/bore situation, you'll dial on offset (2 moa) plus raw drop (16 moa), for a total of 18 minutes of your potential vertical used and gone.

So, how much elevation do you really have? :evilgrin3

The Konus has 80 moa total, so we divide that in half, for either 40 up or 40 down. We can fantasize assume it's all straight and centered on the action, so you have perfect alignment when it's mounted, meaning that you really DO have 40 up.

Bear in mind that most scopes get a little flaky at the extremes of travel, so we'd really like to stay in the middle of our adjustment range where we can.

With a flat base, we then dial on 18 minutes up to get zeroed at 100 yards. You have approximately 58 minutes unusable down travel available at this point, and only about 22 up. From a 100 yard zero, 22 minutes with a subsonic Sierra 190 will get you dialed on out to about 225 yards before you're bottomed out. Nobody likes being bottomed out.

A 20 moa base changes this to a possible 42 minutes of up, while still leaving you with an unusable adjustment range of 38 minutes. This means that your scope is close to mechanically centered only at your zero distance, and 42 minutes up only gets you to 350 with subsonics at the extreme end of scope travel. The further out we go, the less we want to be at the extremes of our scope adjustments, since angular dispersion magnifies any error or instability.

With a 30 minute base, we increase our dial on capability by another 10 minutes, still leaving you with an unusable adjustment range of "only" 28 minutes. This extra 10 moa (30 total) barely takes you to 400 with subsonics.

You may not need 400 with subsonics, but the gun should comfortably do it... Especially remember that these values assume perfect scope alignment, and even a small amount of error can shorten us up quite a bit. Even assuming the best possible situation, you are looking at the very limits of your scope travel, while still leaving you with 28 minutes of unused elevation, even with a 30 minute base.

Anyway, I'm thinking a 30 minute base might be a good idea on a gun designed for subsonics.

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    Sweet! I can't wait to see the final result. I've also toyed with the idea of getting a aftermarket threaded barrel for my 700 SPS. Either way, suppressed or not, it's a tack driver. I love shooting that rifle, I just wish I had more room to shoot cause punching holes at 100yds gets old after awhile. What is a decent barrel that I could put on my rifle? I'd be looking at something in the 20" - 22" range. Would that be something I get a smith to install for me? The only thing I've every done to this rifle was install the stock, which was aluminum bedded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom