• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKAMinK

Oct 26, 2014
    I was googling hours and hours to find the guns and self defense information and finally found this web site. I live AA County and just got married recently and want to have some home defense weapon. I've never shoot any kind of firearms so I was wondering if you guys can give me some info on home defense weapon issue.

Thank you.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 192

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Welcome from Marriottsville.

There are many discussions here on the best firearm platform for home defense. Do a little digging, use the search function, and find what you need. Bring clarification items to appropriate section, and you will get MORE than what you need. Everyone here has an opinion.

Having never used or fired a gun, consider some initial training, that will get you plugged in to proper stance, sighting, etc. Consider it your "drivers license".

There are many providers on the forum. Just ask what they can do for you. I sat next to couple a few weeks ago, the instructor brought out 5 different rifles for comparison, then they left and went to the handgun range for more.

Make your decision, and then get it to the range for lots of practice. Shooting is fun. :party29:

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Welcome to the forum. One thing you will find here is opinions. Consider getting some training from one of the many instructors here on the forum. Learn the right way instead of forming bad habits that will be hard to break later.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Please consider donating to the legal defense fund to support the UNITED CHALLENGE OF THE MARYLAND FIREARMS BAN[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

SB 281:
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A detailed summary for non-lawyers[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Legal Defense Thread[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I was googling hours and hours to find the guns and self defense information and finally found this web site. I live AA County and just got married recently and want to have some home defense weapon. I've never shoot any kind of firearms so I was wondering if you guys can give me some info on home defense weapon issue.

Thank you.

Welcome.

As far as "home defense weapon", maybe Makanik can offer some insight :innocent0

Fordracer2082

Jun 10, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    welcome from Pasadena. training is a good idea. If you are thinking a handgun I would also recommend going to a range and renting a few in both semi auto and revolver in different calibers to get a idea of what you like and can handle.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Welcome!

The two most popular HD items are pistols or shotguns. Shotguns are more effective, but a lot bigger and harder to conceal, and easier to wrestle away.

Pistols are the go-to firearm for self-defense. But, they take training. Don't kid yourself into thinking buying any gun makes you safe. You have to learn how to use it just like any tool.

I would highly recommend taking an NRA First Steps class. Or hanging around and finding someone close to you willing to teach you the ropes. Then, before you buy shoot as much as you can. Some public indoor ranges rent firearms which is a great way to try a few on for size.

willyb

Sep 15, 2009
    glen burnie, md
    welcome from hanover. as far as intro classes, there is a place out in Millersville called worth a shot. I have never been there so I don't know exactly what they offer, but a google search should figure it out

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Thank you.

Greetings from FredCo!

As for an HD weapon, you will find a lot of opinions. First off, what would you feel comfortable holding? That decision will be your driving force in narrowing down your choices, during the shopping/purchase process. There are some ranges in your area that will allow you to rent firearms to see what you may like, so you will be able to get something that works for you.

Fair warning on firearms. The hobby is more expensive than drugs, more fun than drugs, and more addictive than SNI's sugar cookies. You usually won't stop getting more firearms after you buy your first one. You will start looking for another one and will rationalize the future purchase, by it fulfilling a specific role. I do that to be able to keep getting more into the house. :D

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    Welcome! As others have said, take a firearms class (more if possible) and find something that you and possibly your spouse find comfortable to shoot.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Welcome, from Crofton!

I would add that while a HD weapon is necessary, it should be the last in a series of layers that deter thieves from your home.... Fencing, lighting, landscapes, good locks, alarm, situational awareness, and good security habits all play parts.

Educate and train yourself.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Welcome from Lansdowne! You can't go wrong with a 6-shot, all steel revolver in .38 Special or .357 Magnum (which will shoot .38 Special). A 4-inch barrel is easier to shoot than a 2-incher and you can often find good used revolvers at reasonable prices. Get a Smith and Wesson or a Colt and Practice, Practice, Practice! Massad Ayoob's book, In the Gravest Extreme, and Bill Jordan's No Second Place Winner are both excellent reads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom