• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • donw@fyi.net

Mar 20, 2014
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I just ordered two new bottles of Frog Lube. I just plain love it. Its a cleaner, lubricant and polish and it smells good, too.

I've been using it for over a year on a pretty wide assortment of pistols but I'd love to hear from more experienced shooters on this forum on why they like/don't like the stuff.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    My wife hates the smell, she prefers Hoppes #9 :)

My cheesy EP22 will not run with it; apparently lubes the action so slick that it screws up the timing, FTF, FTE. Its fairly expensive as a cleaner, I can't justify it for cleaning when less expensive stuff will do as well. Definitely slick lube and 100% on protectant/preservative/rust preventer. Looks like chalk or dried wax if you leave it on as preservative, but doesn't seem to foul.

What does that crap naturally smell like if they have to dope it with wintergreen to make it sellable? Vomit? Decaying corpse?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You clean with Mobil 1?

I do sometimes clean with motor oil. Hoppes #9 if needed (love that smell), Ballistol if using corrosive ammo, and Wipe-out if things are ugly. Motor oil for all lubricating purposes. If a grease is needed I use synthetic wheel bearing grease with red moly. Practically a lifetime supply for just a few bucks.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I do sometimes clean with motor oil. Hoppes #9 if needed (love that smell), Ballistol if using corrosive ammo, and Wipe-out if things are ugly. Motor oil for all lubricating purposes. If a grease is needed I use synthetic wheel bearing grease with red moly. Practically a lifetime supply for just a few bucks.

This man speaks the truth. Doesn't stink when I use it.

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    How does it reduce heat?

By reducing friction? It might be of limited benefit for most of us.

I've used frog lube. I've gotten away from using it after hearing stories of it getting into pistols' internals and hardening up, thus causing issues. IMO, it does seem to do a good job of reducing cleaning time after use. The pistols I've used it on just seemed to wipe clean pretty easily.

I still have a bunch of Militec that I got for free at the 2004(?) Shot Show. I used it for a bit but didn't notice anything spectacular.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    By reducing friction? It might be of limited benefit for most of us.

I've used frog lube. I've gotten away from using it after hearing stories of it getting into pistols' internals and hardening up, thus causing issues. IMO, it does seem to do a good job of reducing cleaning time after use. The pistols I've used it on just seemed to wipe clean pretty easily.

I still have a bunch of Militec that I got for free at the 2004(?) Shot Show. I used it for a bit but didn't notice anything spectacular.

If it is Militec and not Militec-1, I'll buy a bottle or 3 off of you. The old stuff was good for specific applications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom