• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    He does not have a clearance but he could get one if someone could sponsor him.

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    He does not have a clearance but he could get one if someone could sponsor him.

Catch-22....most people don't want to sponsor someone unless they are one of a few that can fill that position. They just go recruit someone else that already has the clearance from a competitor, exiting military or tired of working as a Fed employee.

kamikazeH20mln

Dec 12, 2009
    Ellicott City, MD
    The likelyhood of being hired direct gov with little to no experience is ziltch. His previous military will help him stick out in a good way against those in the same situation. The key item was the clearance - you can't buy it, pay for it, or any of the above. A company has to vet and sponsor him while being their employee.

The *only* way now is through a contracting company to get sponsored - that's how I got in...

Lockheed, CSC, General Dynamics, ManTech, Raytheon, DeLoitte, cmdLabs, etc. are the ones I know in cyber.

If you have his resume, I know a couple of those company's head hunters that may be able to help. If he also received certifications (i.e. A++, Net+, CISSP, CCNA, etc.) those help.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Interesting thread, as I was wondering much the same thing as the OP.

The security clearance issue is rather obnoxious, though...

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    Private sector makes more than cleared people according to statistics. It's not what it used to be 8-10 years ago, and those certs you have work just fine in the private sector too.

Bottom line is companies are penny pinchers now and don't want to fund the $40K+ to get you a clearance.

zmayhem

Feb 2, 2012
    Honestly a lot of it is just who you know. I have seen two people interview for a position and the guy who had a connection to one of the higher ups got the job, even though he was far less qualified. Actually, I have seen and heard of something like this happening a few times. I actually got the job I have now and started out at entry level and am sponsored to get my clearance simply because a family friend put in a good word and handed in my resume personally. I hear ads on the radio all the time for CyberCore Technologies based in Elkridge needing people, may want to check them out if it's not too far. I know they sponsor people as well, especially if you've already had a clearance that just expired. Good luck!

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    Not necessarily a bad thing, UMUC is a NSA/DHS designated National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education.

SCEP program is a good way to get into the goverment positions, some of the people I work with did that while they were still in school.

I'm getting my Bachelor's there. Seems good and classes are reasonable and online.

SCEP is replaced by Pathways program.

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    Sec+ is a good start.

Sec+ is absolute minimum to show up. And is no where near good enough to break in. Companies are in a weird state in the field--they need people badly, but the combination of highly skilled IT + Clearance or even clear-able is rare.

Add to the fast turn over, and you can see their point--most sponsoring is money out the door. Its only done at all because the available pool of talent is so small. There are also not a lot of Sec. positions compared to programmer/SA positions, so it would be a smart move to expand the field a little bit and be willing to work in the trenches as *anything* to get experience. The catch with that is of course is that you would need enough experience in that to break through. But how do plan to Secure something if you don't know how it runs in the first place?

End of the day, you need to make yourself very attractive to HR to even get a shot as a contractor. That means 1) Experience, 2) Certificates, and 3) Someone to really stand up and say "this guy is quality, we need him on the team".

However it IS very possible to do :innocent0

Gundahar

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    Two Words: Security Clearance. Nuff said.

I might have a lead for him if he has a security clearance; then again, with Gen. Alexander ringing the alarm bells for cyber security, I wouldn't be surprised if jobs started sprouting up over the next year or so.

Does this guy have a CISSP?

+1

More likely to be at least considered for a DoD job due to the 8570 training requirements.

I love all of this. Also there are so many cyber jobs out there. Tell him to also try indeed.com speaking of which. I will have to circulate my resume on here. All of you cyber folk coming out of the word work. I had to chime in too!

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    He can take a look on www.dsci.com also. Not everything is listed there but they do have primary and sub work in MD. If you want a direct link to my guy here send me a PM.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    Its a matter of finding warm bodies and will you commute. I only had Sec+ and landed a Senior IA Engineer position. CISSP is not be all, end all. I know many CISSPers who couldn't trouble shoot their way out of a wet paper bag. Nor could they spell accreditation or plan for COOP or DRP. I just got my CISM so I'm not so worried about a job in the near future. Plus if you look at 8570, it's being revamped bc all certs now have to pass ANSI certification. So you can potentially get a decent job with just a Sec+. Actually, I know you can get a decent job with Sec+ bc I see them everyday.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Its a matter of finding warm bodies and will you commute. I only had Sec+ and landed a Senior IA Engineer position. CISSP is not be all, end all. I know many CISSPers who couldn't trouble shoot their way out of a wet paper bag. Nor could they spell accreditation or plan for COOP or DRP. I just got my CISM so I'm not so worried about a job in the near future. Plus if you look at 8570, it's being revamped bc all certs now have to pass ANSI certification. So you can potentially get a decent job with just a Sec+. Actually, I know you can get a decent job with Sec+ bc I see them everyday.

It does not matter if they cant get out of wet paper bag, if the contract requires it then that it is...

for the record, I'm still in a wet paper bag and have my CISSP. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom