• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shift

Ultimate Member
    Apr 11, 2012
    Denton
    I know nothing of airsoft guns. My 10 yo son just got his first yesterday. A Taurus PT92, spring powered and he's loving it. Plinking away at everything in the backyard. I have been thinking of getting him an evil black airsoft rifle for Christmas or his birthday coming up, Walmart had an M4 for $99 which I was considering but its not on the shelf anymore for me to read the package and learn a little about them. Does anyone have any suggestions on a decent quality reasonable price M4 styled rifle? Many of the ones I've sees look like cheap plastic toys, I want to get something decent that wont break jumping around in the woods with his friends.

Also CO2 vs spring powered? Is CO2 more powerful or just provide semi-auto action versus having to charge (:shrug:) a spring? Ultimately do you think CO2 would be better over spring?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I know nothing of airsoft guns. My 10 yo son just got his first yesterday. A Taurus PT92, spring powered and he's loving it. Plinking away at everything in the backyard. I have been thinking of getting him an evil black airsoft rifle for Christmas or his birthday coming up, Walmart had an M4 for $99 which I was considering but its not on the shelf anymore for me to read the package and learn a little about them. Does anyone have any suggestions on a decent quality reasonable price M4 styled rifle? Many of the ones I've sees look like cheap plastic toys, I want to get something decent that wont break jumping around in the woods with his friends.

Also CO2 vs spring powered? Is CO2 more powerful or just provide semi-auto action versus having to charge (:shrug:) a spring? Ultimately do you think CO2 would be better over spring?

Look into battery operated ones..

Pyramid air.. I think is the sites name.. they have good selections.

Shift

Ultimate Member
    Apr 11, 2012
    Denton
    Look into battery operated ones..

Pyramid air.. I think is the sites name.. they have good selections.

Didn't know there was such a thing. Certainly will look into it. I really don't like the idea of co2 but i'm sure he would like semi auto

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Didn't know there was such a thing. Certainly will look into it. I really don't like the idea of co2 but i'm sure he would like semi auto

Yeah.. battery operated ones are semi or auto. I have an old "aftermath" m4. It fires semi, 3shots or full. Lots of fun.

Cyclone

Jr. Zombie Killer
    Jan 25, 2010
    Rosedale, MD
    www.airsoftgi.com
    www.evike.com
    www.airsplat.com

Been an airsoft player for 15 years and these sites sell good stuff. Echo 1 is a good brand and decent airsoft for entry level around $100 to $200. Then Classic Army, G&P, Tokyo Marui, G&G and ICS for professional level if he will play mil-sim in the future around $200 to $400. Then there is Systema which is even more expensive than real steel around $1600 to $2000+.
    Never get the one in walmart, junk and disposable. He will only get to play with this for a month and lots of feed issue...

Cyclone

Jr. Zombie Killer
    Jan 25, 2010
    Rosedale, MD
    CO2 are only good for Pistols. There is also called green gas Pistols, and you can get an adaptor so you can use regular portable propane gas to charge the gun...

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    Right now the go to entry level is the G&G combat machine. Frankly, I'm sick of them cause everybody and their brother has one. But that's because the price to performance is there. And none of the other offerings at that price range can match the quality of the internals. The externals aren't the best, but at that price you can't have everything. Still, it doesn't feel like complete shit and the guns at that range that feel nice have inferior guts.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    My kids got the $100 battery operated ones and they all broke. The combo spring and electrics all still work in manual spring mode but not electric any more
    They all broke within weeks
    His co2 pistol broke too while they were at the airsoft arena in Rockvile this summer
    They were not recharging the batteries ahead I time anyway so spring seemed to work better for them anyway.
    They have buddies that do their own airsoft wars so he has a full mask and gloves when they do it

Read reviews before you buy

Ripfubar

Dec 29, 2011
    CSC
    G&G FTW

I have a bunch (for my kids). For the money (150) the G&G Combat Machines M4 Raider is awesome!!. High quality, easy to work on if needed, easy to upgrade, light weight (carbon 15 light). All the others in this price range are heavy pot metal fragile beasts. The M4 Raider is excellent but the MP5 is Sick! And the SCAR even better. They go together almost exactly the same way as real steel. I use AirsoftGI almost exclusively. We have a Crossman M4 we got from Bass Pro and the stock broke off in a couple of days.

Ripfubar

Dec 29, 2011
    CSC
    G&G FTW

I have a bunch (for my kids). For the money (150) the G&G Combat Machines M4 Raider is awesome for the money. High quality, easy to work on if needed, easy to upgrade, light weight (carbon 15 light). All the others in this price range are heavy pot metal fragile beasts. The M4 Raider is excellent but the MP5 is Sick! And the SCAR even better. They go together almost exactly the same way as real steel. I use AirsoftGI almost exclusively. We have a Crossman M4 we got from Bass Pro and the stock broke off in a couple of days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom