• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    While I'd tend to agree that your description, in fact, describes a heavy barrel, can you provide some sort of objective evidence that the same definition is being used by MSP?

I ask, not to be an a$$, but because elsewhere on MDshooters, I've seen that the only hoop is that the barrel maker stamp their barrel with "heavy" "HB" "HBAR" or similar, or that their literature of the barrel describe it as "heavy".

This would seem to be different standard than your otherwise reasonable description of a heavy barrel.

And I'm not sure which is the description that MSP will use if....things are not peachy keen.

-M

edit: I'd like to point out that I'm not questioning Engage's practices; from what I've seen they actually meet both standards: it is at least 0.750" for the entire length and it's stamped HB.
    my only question is which of those two is the standard MSP uses.
    MSP doesn't have a standard. There is nothing written in COMAR. MD passed the buck to FFL's and manufacturer's.
    Get an AR from Engage and don't worry about it. They make a kick ass AR.

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    MSP doesn't have a standard. There is nothing written in COMAR. MD passed the buck to FFL's and manufacturer's.

Right. The law (thanks to Equal Protection of the non-Colt manufacturers) allows ARs that meet a certain criteria, then never actually defines the criteria. The executive branch (MSP) cannot simply set the criteria themselves on what's legal... that's the legislature's job. The judicial branch can interpret the law to clarify the criteria per the law, but there's been no case yet so they've got no input.

As things stand, anyone with any AR-15 that's not a Colt Sporter HBAR could be charged and taken to court. Where the prosecutor would have to prove that the AR-15 in question does not have a heavy barrel. Which would be rather difficult since there's no definition in the law of what constitutes a heavy barrel.

Meanwhile, if the AR-15 owner has anything that indicates that it possibly could be a heavy barrel (sales slip, advertising flyer, stamp on the barrel, measurements matching that of the Colt Sporter HBAR barrel, etc.), then all of the available evidence in the case is supporting his side. "Innocent until proven guilty" makes the outcome a pretty forgone conclusion.

Most prosecutors aren't stupid, and they can see that minefield from a mile away. They're not going to step in it.

OP, relax and enjoy HBAR ARs.

mrgnstrn

Mar 18, 2014

Engage does make a nice rifle. and if I wasn't poor, it'd be mine.
    I really liked the one with the standard front sight post and the MOE handguards, midlength...it was yummy.

BUT...it's pricey.

I guess I have to save my shillings for a bit more....

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-3.jpg
      FullSizeRender-3.jpg
      62 KB · Views: 336

Brownl345

Jan 9, 2015
    Howard County
    I bought this from Engage on Friday and I couldn't be more pleased with it. They will be my go-to for all AR needs. Now, I just need to find time to head to Freestate for a couple of hours.

IMG_9521.jpg

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I bought this from Engage on Friday and I couldn't be more pleased with it. They will be my go-to for all AR needs. Now, I just need to find time to head to Freestate for a couple of hours.

IMG_9521.jpg

Nice job, and welcome. Good first post :thumbsup:

dadof2badboys

Mar 5, 2015
    Great Shop.. Great Folks.. Most of their parts are really reasonably priced. (Barrels are expensive, I think they tack on an extra HBAR label tax)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom