• sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Cops shouldn't own guns...

They might hurt themselves...

Take few seconds, take a deep breath...

Make sure the gun is pointed downrange &

Make sure there is nothing in front of the muzzle...

We have to be able to do better than this...

Smitch521

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2013
    Salisbury
    That sucks for him. I really hope it doesn't affect his job. It rather ridiculous that policeman are punished for incidents like these. Its bad enough the poor guy shot himself and had to live through that embarrassment but further now he has to worry about whether his career will be in jeopardy. One of the few professions where if you hurt yourself off duty with a tool of the trade that it has impacts on your career.

It should impact his career. If he doesn't even possess this discipline and common sense to follow safety rules for himself around his family then he should not be allowed to act in a position of authority where his history of negligence poses a risk to other people.

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    I dunno maybe its more human to think everyone makes mistakes no matter how well versed and I sincerely hope that a similar level of scrutiny is never applied to you. Its easy to say until its you and then its wrong and messed up telling anyone that will listen, "Over one stupid mistake"

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    It's easy to judge someone else but hours of teaching breeds complacency. I hope I never make a mistake. We had a poster in our ready room and just before coming up the stairs of the hanger bay where our land base squadron was located.

"Complacency Kills"

Crap I wanted to hold this 1000 post for my closing of our home in WV.

Twanger

DINO and NRA Life
    Mar 4, 2013
    Poolesville
    My daughter is a cop and I invited her to the range about a year ago.

Of course her training has been mostly about how you get your malfunctioning firearm back in service quickly if it fails to go bang. Usually it's a rapid tap(mag)/tilt(gun)/rack(slide) and back on the target. She does this without even thinking about it.

However, my "civilian" training has been to carefully and safely put the gun down on the bench in front of me and think through what the problem might be. If there's an unfired round in the chamber upon which the firing pin had just landed, but didn't cause a bang, this round gets carefully put into the steel range box after letting the gun sit there for a minute. Generally unless it's an obvious stove-pipe showing I just wait 60 seconds before doing anything.

So anyhoo, the bottom line here is that her training is focused on getting back into action in a crisis situation where having your gun back in action is more important than the danger from the slight chance of a round with a dented primer cooking off.

Her training carries inherent risk in a "day at range" situation.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    My daughter is a cop and I invited her to the range about a year ago.

Of course her training has been mostly about how you get your malfunctioning firearm back in service quickly if it fails to go bang. Usually it's a rapid tap(mag)/tilt(gun)/rack(slide) and back on the target. She does this without even thinking about it.

However, my "civilian" training has been to carefully and safely put the gun down on the bench in front of me and think through what the problem might be. If there's an unfired round in the chamber upon which the firing pin had just landed, but didn't cause a bang, this round gets carefully put into the steel range box after letting the gun sit there for a minute. Generally unless it's an obvious stove-pipe showing I just wait 60 seconds before doing anything.

So anyhoo, the bottom line here is that her training is focused on getting back into action in a crisis situation where having your gun back in action is more important than the danger from the slight chance of a round with a dented primer cooking off.

Her training carries inherent risk in a "day at range" situation.

and that is the difference between target shooting and defensive shooting.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    and that is the difference between target shooting and defensive shooting.

And why we only pick up brass AFTER we are finished shooting and not messing with it in between reloads, mag exchanges, etc... Picking up brass is not part of our reload rituals :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom