Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I was thinking about fluting my AR as well ... great minds think alike

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I'm not seeing how that's possible.

What difference would that make, as long as the proportions are equal in both scenarios you describe?

Not sure I understand what you are saying... What do you mean by proportions?

Let me explain it a different way in the hopes of clearing up any confusion:

1-For a barrel of a given diameter and length, non fluted is stiffer than fluted, but non fluted will weigh more.

2-For a barrel of a given weight and length, fluted will usually be stiffer, but the fluted barrel will have a greater diameter.

At least that is what I have heard and read.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Taking a barrel and cutting flutes into it will 100%, take-it-to-the-bank, certainly make it less statically stiff than it was without the flutes. This fact is shown easily with elementary engineering principles and is not up for debate. If anyone tells you otherwise, they are wrong.

Equally true is that a barrel with flutes will be statically stiffer than another, non-fluted barrel of equal weight and length. Again, this is not up for debate. This is because material on the outer diameter contributes more to stiffness than material near the center. A fluted barrel will necessarily have a larger outer diameter than a non-fluted barrel of the same weight.

This is different than what I had heard.

And finally:

By all accounts, fluting a barrel has little effect accuracy, either positive or negative. If done properly by a skilled gunsmith, fluting may lighten your rifle a bit, and it may have a subtle impact on the rifle's accuracy, possibly a positive one. Done poorly, fluting can wreak havoc on the sensitive tolerances of a modern match-grade barrel.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Pinecone, your understanding comports with mine with one minor exception. Some companies are doing some exceptionally stupid fluting that gives you the worst of both worlds... The weight of an HBar, and the stiffness of a non HBar.

Consider this barrel:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408661733.705708.jpg

Thus my use of the word "usually" in my post above.

Last edited:

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Pinecone, your understanding comports with mine with one minor exception. Some companies are doing some exceptionally stupid fluting that gives you the worst of both worlds... The weight of an HBar, and the stiffness of a non HBar.

Consider this barrel:

View attachment 127649

:facepalm:

And a joy to clean.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I am going with the thought process that the fluted barrel is stiffer given the two are of same diameter. Lighter and stiffer. Think I-Beam.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I am going with the thought process that the fluted barrel is stiffer given the two are of same diameter. Lighter and stiffer. Think I-Beam.

An I beam is not stiffer than a solid beam of steel having the same external dimensions.

Feb 28, 2013
    Not sure I understand what you are saying... What do you mean by proportions?

Let me explain it a different way in the hopes of clearing up any confusion:

1-For a barrel of a given diameter and length, non fluted is stiffer than fluted, but non fluted will weigh more.

2-For a barrel of a given weight and length, fluted will usually be stiffer, but the fluted barrel will have a greater diameter.

At least that is what I have heard and read.

Well, what I meant was this.

A thicker wall barrel will have a larger circumference.

Thus, the greater your barrel circumference, the more flutes you can cut into the barrel. And with a thicker wall barrel, you can cut them deeper.

Although, I don't think I've ever seen a barrel fluted like on that rifle. Don't they usually run ALONG the barrel instead of AROUND it?

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    An I beam is not stiffer than a solid beam of steel having the same external dimensions.

Full article http://bisonballistics.com/articles/the-fluted-barrel-stiffness-and-rifle-accuracy
    Ok, I looked this up after commenting and we are somewhat both correct...
    What Does Fluting A Barrel Do to Stiffness?
    Taking a barrel and cutting flutes into it will 100%, take-it-to-the-bank, certainly make it less statically stiff than it was without the flutes. This fact is shown easily with elementary engineering principles and is not up for debate. If anyone tells you otherwise, they are wrong.

Equally true is that a barrel with flutes will be statically stiffer than another, non-fluted barrel of equal weight and length. Again, this is not up for debate. This is because material on the outer diameter contributes more to stiffness than material near the center. A fluted barrel will necessarily have a larger outer diameter than a non-fluted barrel of the same weight.

What about dynamic stiffness? Generally speaking, reducing static stiffness reduces dynamic stiffness (that is, the barrel will vibrate more slowly and with greater deflection). It also turns out that reducing mass increases dynamic stiffness. So what wins when you flute a barrel - the lower static stiffness or the decreased mass?

Unfortunately, this is a very tough question to answer definitively. A lot depends on exactly how and where you do the fluting, and what sort of vibrations you are interested in. For a fascinating analysis, check out Varmint Al's Fluted Barrel Page.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore

And an I beam only has stiffness and integrity when upright as a post with flanges (I). They are only rigid in that direction. When on it's side (H) there is much less integrity. A barrel is round and would need equal stiffness or integrity of the circumference.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

From one of the quotes I posted:

Done poorly, fluting can wreak havoc on the sensitive tolerances of a modern match-grade barrel.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

But an I-beam is not stiffer than a solid piece of the same dimensions. It is actually less stiff. But it IS a lot lighter.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    When I want to travel light I grab an SBR. This setup was more for accuracy and the fluting looked neat. Kind of like the Rainier barrel below I built last year.
    This thread does have me curious how a standard 20" HBAR will compare to a fluted 20" HBAR in terms of accuracy. The only thing I'm pretty sure of is I am not nearly a good enough shooter to ever see the difference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom