• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Gerber makes a great slide-out limb saw.

The handle serves as a sheath when not in use.

A large knob locks it all in place.

Cuts like butta.

Ender

Jan 9, 2011
    If you want a wire saw that actually works you are going to want something like the sabercut saw.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Surv...-Black/dp/B001H9N8C0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I like folding saws for small jobs around a campsite. I use them if not worried about packing weight/size or only expect small/medium sized limbs but I have cut some large trees blocking trails with the sabrecut. Saws like sabercuts aren't as easy for smaller jobs but give you the ability to take on bigger trees if you really needed to. Any wire type saw is going to take some strength and work better with two people.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I always have my anvil pruning shears in my hunting vest and I also own a pole pruner. I also keep my folding saw in the truck at all times as well.

I never go in the woods without my pruners.

spin_prod_254847601

spin_prod_244583401

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    I bought a few today, they are an awesome item to keep in your jacket/bag when hunting. Very useful to clearing up a shooting lane in a tree stand/ground blind or in emergency situations.

I can't talk to the quality, but the price can't be beat:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018VCJTA?tag=slickguns-20

A tip for using this kind of saw: Don't hold them directly by the rings at each end. Attach a loop of rope or strap of some kine to the rings, or put a short stick through them.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    I always have my anvil pruning shears in my hunting vest and I also own a pole pruner. I also keep my folding saw in the truck at all times as well.

I never go in the woods without my pruners.

How about one of these? :)

Attachments

• kukri.jpg
      kukri.jpg
      91.4 KB · Views: 300

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I've had these little saws in the past. Put a plastic dogtag necklace cover on it and could wear it around my neck when on deployments in the wilds. I've been able to cut down small diameter trees (<3") with it, as well as some other items but never tried it on anything larger. For the price it would be worthwhile to have a couple in the bag for emergencies IMHO

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    We used one when we were on a 4 day horse-back trip in canadian rockies and a 6 or 7 inch branch fell over the trail. It took a while, but it cut!

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    how much did that cost?

I bought it around the spring of 2011 or so and as I recall it was around $140-150 including shipping from Nepal at that time. Really a good deal IMHO considering the quality of workmanship and materials put in to it. That blade is nearly 1/2 inch thick at the spine, yet it came with a razor sharp edge. In fact, I nicked myself somehow while handling it to take that picture. They've got a big selection of models, sizes, and styles. Here's their web site:

http://www.thekhukurihouse.com/

There's a few other similar companies operating in nepal too. I can't speak for the others, but Khukuri House was very pleasant to deal with maintained good communication (email) despite the language differences. Let's just say their English was somewhat idiosyncratic... :)

If I ever buy another I believe I'd go for one with some modern features like this:

http://www.thekhukurihouse.com/catalog/enlarge.php?id=313637fc812&image=left

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom