• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    My only Harris had a broken spring after 2 uses. Left a bad taste. My cheap Shooters Ridge bipods are still kicking.
    The Harris bipods are much lighter, though.

Apparently I'm in the minority with my experience.

kc day

MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2008
    I have 3 Atlas bipods. I really love them they're great, solid, adjustable forward and back and no external springs to get caught up in something(maybe just paranoid). I also had one made in just the silver anodized, but I don't know if he does this anymore.

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    My only Harris had a broken spring after 2 uses. Left a bad taste. My cheap Shooters Ridge bipods are still kicking.

You must have gotten one made on Friday! :sad20: Send it back to Harris, I'm sure they will fix it for you.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I've had the springs on two Harris bi pods break and had the bolt on one of the legs come out which rounded out the hole.

I went with a GG&G on my last purchase and really like it.

DSC_4725_zps99772585.jpg

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I have a Harris 6-9" "S" bipod and it looks like I need an adapter for PSA's standard AR-15 carbine rifle. It has a classic handguard and a F front sight. No modifications to rifle.

So it looks like I need an adapter to mount my bipod on above carbine. Is it the Harris HB5 stud adapter for AR15/M16 that I need? The HB5 is supposed to fit standard polymer handguards without alteration. Note that this barrel is chambered for a 7.62X30 barrel.

All help appreciated.

Thanks!.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Can anyone recommend a good bipod for a Savage Axis in .308? I'm new to the bolt gun game and know nothing about bipods. I would preferably want something that worked well off the bench, but I could potentially use to hunt as well.

Plus, do they just clip on to the front sling post?

You mean like this? Savage FCP-K in .308 with Nikon Monarch and Harris bi-pod.
    This is for sale BTW.

Attachments

• riflesmall.jpg
      riflesmall.jpg
      16.8 KB · Views: 289

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Can anyone recommend a good bipod for a Savage Axis in .308? I'm new to the bolt gun game and know nothing about bipods. I would preferably want something that worked well off the bench, but I could potentially use to hunt as well.
    For precision shooting? Harris or Atlas. Done.

For rattle guns, you can accept less.
    Plus, do they just clip on to the front sling post?
    For your rifle, yes, although Picatinny compatible clamps and adapters are also common and may be necessary for an Atlas.
    Harris is a popular option that can attach to the front sling post.

http://www.harrisbipods.com
    Yup.

.......Stay away from the trashy Chinese knock-offs.
    ABSOLUTELY.
    Bipods that are great for a bench are too short for use in hunting. I'd suggest a 6-9" bipod for the bench and shooting sticks for the field.
    I'd agree.
    For field/tactical use, 6-9: is too short for most people. Go with the 9-13". BT, DT
    This is largely true, but I'd suggest that neither bipod height will work well everywhere. Required bipod height is a function of shooter physique, firing position terrain and horizontal relationship to the target. Requirements will vary from firing position to firing position, target to target.

When I shoot field matches, I start with the 9-13" version on the rifle, but routinely carry both 6-9" and 9-13". An AK-47 triple mag pouch will hold a Harris 9-13" bipod perfectly, or a 6-9" with room to spare. I have one of these pouches on the outside webbing of my pack and keep the extra bipod in it, close by and easy to access.
    Also, Harris is the best of the reasonably priced ones. Get a swivel version....
    Agreed, the swivel feature is necessary.
    ...and add a PodLock or one of the knockoffs...
    I've had podlocks in the past and have mixed feelings about how useful they actually are. Because of carrying the rifle on a sling and shooting slung often causes interference with the podlock handle, I've actually stopped using them. I tighten the screw with tools so that the rifle is stable but can still be tilted with the firing hand and this constant tension seems to serve well.
    I like the Harris with the notches in the legs. No slippage.
    The notched leg version is much easier to manipulate for firing position than the screw/clamp style.
    If you don't shoot on uneven terrain, the swivel isn't a must have IMO.
    I'd have to agree for close range bench work, but in addition to irregular terrain, any longer distance shooting will demand a perfectly level reticle and without a swivel feature, it will be very difficult and frustrating to get it right.
    Both excellent. The Harris is much less money.
    True, and possibly easier to use on a day to day basis. Definitely faster to swap a 6-9" Harris for a 9-13" Harris than it is to pull the feet off an Atlas, insert the leg extensions and reinstall the feet, although you do have to carry the extra weight of a second complete bipod.

This IS very unusual. As posted above, I'm also sure Harris would have fixed it for you.

FWIW, I have had some of these bipods in service since they were first introduced and the only failure I've had so far is that I had the top weld break, allowing the saddle to separate from the frame. That bipod had thousands of rounds and many abusive miles on it and the failure neither surprised nor bothered me.

Bottom line:

A) Atlas with the leg extensions and any necessary adapter(s) to fit your rifle.

or

B) Harris notched leg/swivel top models in both 6-9" and 9-13", the 9-13" if you can only have one.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Another vote for the Harris here. I use the 6-9 HBRMS with a throw lever installed.

Nice McRee's chassis. I have one in OD Green for my Remington 700.

Oh and I went with the Harris 6-9 as well. Don't make my mistake and mount it backwards as shown in this photo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom