• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I have posted in the past about a career change. I am presently a teacher, but a recent turn of events has definatly caused me to think of options. I've got a little time with the summer coming, if I do change careers could start something in August.

I feel like I could do something else like in training for a corp. or in a management role. I do have a certain salary expectation but remember I am a teacher so in the grand scheme it prob isn't outlandish.

I know it's kinda a shot in the dark, but thanks for any advice or info.

TD

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    How many years do you have on? Seems ridiculous to nuke at least a 20 year pension/benefits if you plan on leaving the education field totally compared to working in the private sector.

20 years on teacher/collect whatever is offered, move to a state that doesn't collect income tax and start another career while getting your 20 year educator stuff in the bank/health care

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    18 years and a masters degree, but the last few years have been really tough. Not sure I can do another two but retirement wouldn't be happening till 30 years in.

I would def have to figure out my benefits, etc. at this time if another opportunity came about. I know if I got a job with a employer in the state retirement system my years can transfer for retirement.

TD

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I think I would attempt to do another 2 but I don't know your situation, or at least look at jobs that my years would transfer.

I know someone who just went back to the private sector, started teaching in 01 and just quit last year.

Aren't teachers supposed to give like a 6 month notice? I'm not sure he did that, but he had no ambition ever returning to teaching.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    I have posted in the past about a career change. I am presently a teacher, but a recent turn of events has definatly caused me to think of options. I've got a little time with the summer coming, if I do change careers could start something in August.

I feel like I could do something else like in training for a corp. or in a management role. I do have a certain salary expectation but remember I am a teacher so in the grand scheme it prob isn't outlandish.

I know it's kinda a shot in the dark, but thanks for any advice or info.

TD

Find placement agencies. I have gotten some very good jobs when I had a recruiter working for me.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Just an update.

I will be teaching in another school this come school year, going from high school to elementary school. New opportunity and a change that will allow me to keep all my time and benefits I've earned over the past 18 years. Will also have a lot more time at home with the family.

I'm going to use this school year as a regrouping year. Really need to do some soul searching. Thanks to all of you for the ideas, if any of you have been teachers for a significant time and jumped to another career I'd like to hear your stories.

TD

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    Just an update.

I will be teaching in another school this come school year, going from high school to elementary school. New opportunity and a change that will allow me to keep all my time and benefits I've earned over the past 18 years. Will also have a lot more time at home with the family.

I'm going to use this school year as a regrouping year. Really need to do some soul searching. Thanks to all of you for the ideas, if any of you have been teachers for a significant time and jumped to another career I'd like to hear your stories.

TD

My wife actually did the reverse....started out as a teacher after college...decided shed did not like it so much and started selling furniture and appliances at Sears....she started substituting when my son started school and decided she really want to get back in the classroom...she has been back at it for almost 20 years......

My wife is a special needs elementary school teacher..thanks to all the government paperwork she has to deal with....she routinely spends 9-10 hours at the school and a couple more once home.....I would be interested in hearing how you are going to have more family time simply by changing schools and the grade level you will be teaching....

Good Luck

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    My position at the high school had a very high demand for time after school hours, weekends etc., those duties are not the same at the elem. school level.

TD

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Thanks, I'm in ft launderdale fl right now and wish I could find a job down here.........just beautiful area.

TD

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Miles, the best advice that I or anyone else can give you is first and foremost take an inventory of your skills. Then sit down and figure out which industry would want to buy them. THEN start to look around.

I don't want to sound harsh, but right now you sound like you're just daydreaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom