• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    well the temps are finally getting down there and they aint likely to come back up a whole lot.

so its time to give in and fill the oil tank.

any recommendations on who delivers oil cheapest?

2shots

Oct 14, 2010
    I'm not gonna recomend any company for you, I will say that BESCHE just filled my tank today @ 3.14 gal:shocked: and it took $610 to top it off. You can buy K-1 down the street @3.10 gal so I called them and told them to take me off automatic delivery.:facepalm: I complained but I'm sure it fell on deaf ears:gun2::spank:

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    it really is crazy where prices are now.

as for kerosene, would that work ok? as i understand it, diesel is the same as heating oil, ive used it in a pinch before to run the heater.

in fact if you use diesel fuel for heating oil i believe you can even claim a refund from the fed and state for the taxes you paid in the price of that fuel because you did not use it in a vehicle, it is only taxed for use in vehicles, making the price even lower than what you pay at the pump.

jdramsey

Troll hunter.
    Aug 5, 2009
    St. Mary's Co. MD
    I know you can mix K1 with your heating oil to lower the jelling point of the oil on the coldest days of the year. Only an issue if your tank is above ground like mine. Acts like antifreeze, but lowers the BTU's a little bit.

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    Yes diesel and heating oil are one in the same. Actually off road diesel and heating oil are exactly the same where as on road diesel doesn't have the dye. At the fast stop up the street off road diesel was 2.74 a gallon now I see it's up to 3.05. It would take a lot of 5 gallon jugs but that's what I would do.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    I haven't used oil for ten years. Back then there was a co op called 'Buyer Up'. Don't know if they are still around but I always got a lower price from them.

nobones

Dec 2, 2009
    Calvert
    We shopped around a year or so ago, and decided to stick with Besche. Found they had consistenly competitive prices and good service compared to the others. I love OIL HEAT! Better to be warm and Broke than COLD and Broke.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    BTW one of my fondest memories of oil heat was signing up for automatic delivery with SMO. I ran out of oil Christmas morning. Even though I was on automatic delivery and it was SMO's fault they generously offered to deliver a five gallon can for $75. Thanks to them my kids and I spent a very cold Christmas until I figured out that I could tilt my above ground tank pushing the oil to the feed side and run the furnace for a while longer. Thanks again SMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom