• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrwizard

Jul 21, 2007
    Odenton, MD
    I thinking about joining to shoot at this range. I would be shooting rifle (AR and target smallbore) and pistol, maybe shotgun.

Looking for advise. What are your thoughts.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You need to join one of the Associated Gun Clubs to be a member. Monumental is the largest but there are many others, see the AGC home page.

There are a lot of members who shoot ARs there.

When I was a member I left because of the anal-retentive range officers there, Other people on the forum have said that AGC got rid of them. I don't know.

Chris L

Bite me
    Oct 31, 2007
    Catonsville
    I'm currently a member there. The did get rid of the range nazi's earlier this year. So far, I have not heard of any complaints about the new RO's.

As K31 said, check out AGC's website to get info on member clubs. Then contact one or some of the clubs and see about attending a meeting or two. Joining a club is very easy to do. Most of the clubs are very eager to recruit new members.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I shot there as a guest a couple times, but more or less couldn't deal with the world famous range Nazis (had a couple issues with them), joined Hap Baker for less than 1/2 price and never looked back, glad they are gone though, the range is nice, and should be able to build membership quickly once they at least accomidate new members. I recently joined Windsor fish and game, it is a 200yd private pistol/rifle range 3 mile from the new house, costs $25 for the first year, $15 to renew, basically set up and run like a mini-Delmarva, 10 rifle positions, 6 pistol positions, suppressors and FA are OK (paper targets only though), and there are small berms throughout a big sunken field with a 50ft high ridge across the back.

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room
    I left because of the anal-retentive range officers there,
    I shoot (when the weather cooperates) once or twice a week.
    I can say in almost 10 years of shooting at the AGC I never had a real problem with any range officer ever.
    I did have a couple try and give me some of their advice. Which in a couple instances was somewhat helpful but most the time was simply comical but they never really bothered me.
    Learn the range rules and follow them.
    After that how could you have a problem ?
    They can be as "anal-retentive" as they want but if they are going by the rules then ...hey ...all is good...if not I am not one to be silent :) I will let them (or any one else on the firing line) know.
    The AGC does have an outstanding facility with a nice 200 Yd range.
    If you join go with Greenbelt gun club because the dues are only $25 per year on top of the AGC range badge cost.
    I would still have a AGC range badge but the 45+ min drive was killing me in gas and time.
    I shoot at Berwyn now and the less than 10 min drive is worth (to me) the cost.
    I keep my Greenbelt Gun Club membership just in case:D

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Learn the range rules and follow them.
    After that how could you have a problem ?
    They can be as "anal-retentive" as they want but if they are going by the rules then ...hey ...all is good...if not I am not one to be silent :) I will let them (or any one else on the firing line) know.

Okay, they can be as anal-retentive as they want to be. I don't mind be corrected, what I mind is how. I've been a range officer. We were taught by an ex-LEO. We were taught not to try to publicly humiliate anyone when we could take them aside and speak to them privately. I would not even mind it personally if they did it within ear shot of someone else. I do not, however appreciate being talked to as if I am a 5-year old which is exactly what these morons did. Ok, they can be that way. AGC has one less member. Maybe they have more than one less member because of these guys if you read some of the other posts on this topic. I also remember that the monthly newsletter had a blurb in it asking members not to confront ROs but to report incidents to club officers. So maybe some others had these run-ins to. The point is they went way beyond what was need for safeties sake. The range is, a place I and others go for enjoyment.

I don't know, maybe there were club rules that said it you were a RO standing by the club house and saw two guys setting up to shoot off hand on bench rest-only benches then the proper course of action was to run behind the firing line yelling "NOOOOOOOOOOO! NOOOOOOOO!" causing me at least to believe that someone had strayed onto a live range. If their were such rules then I guess yeah, I have to plead ignorance.

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room
    I do not, however appreciate being talked to as if I am a 5-year old which is exactly what these morons did. Ok, they can be that way.
    They never did that to me.
    However if they did I would set them straight in the same fashion without hesitation.
    Just the way I am :D
    I had an employer try that with me many years ago and I let him know quick and he was paying me.
    At a place I am paying my money to be at lets just say that person would be clear on how I felt about it :innocent0

Chris L

Bite me
    Oct 31, 2007
    Catonsville
    I did not have an experience as like K31, however, my one bad experience with the range nazi could have led to serious safety issue.

Earlier this year, I was at the range with my father-in-law, and as it should be when a cease fire is called, the range nazi used the PA system to ensure that everyone on the firing line heard. However, when he called the line hot, he shouted it, not using the PA, so only the people directly in front of the range house heard him.

We were off to the side, and heard him say something, but did not understand what. When we saw people loading rifles, we yelled over if the line was hot or not. Apparently this upset the range nazi and he replied with something like, "yes the line is hot, pay f@$%ing attention next time". I came very close to tearing him a new one, but my father-in-law convinced me to save it and report him at our next club meeting.

It was at the next club meeting that I found out that the AGC had let the two range nazis go and had hired two new RO's.

Apparently, there were a lot of verbal complaints about the two old RO's, but not many people submitted formal, written complaints. According to my club pres., unless the complaint was documented in writing, the AGC officers did not address it.

GunnyHwy

Oct 18, 2007
    Howard County
    So for anyone who has been there within the last few months wouldn't you agree that the new RO's are much better and that this issue has been rectified?

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Basically, in spite of the apparent outcome, I was led to believe by club officers that the AGC was controlled by a bunch of old timers and our club had little sway over them.

Early on I questioned one of these RO morons about one of his "interpretations" but since I don't like wasting my breath I didn't after that. I was taught that it was wasteful and counter productive to argue with fools.

I will say that the RO who was generally there when I was there on week days was nothing but professional and civil. I hope he was kept on.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I do not, however appreciate being talked to as if I am a 5-year old which is exactly what these morons did. Ok, they can be that way.

I've gotten that at Hap Baker before and felt the same way. I guess that's something you have to just put up with when you go to public ranges.

DorGunR

R.I.P.
    Mar 7, 2007
    Severn
    My bad, sorry. I'm a new shooter. Is this average for most ranges then, public or private?

I just remember my experience at Hap Baker and the RO's there where a little more abrasive then they needed to be.

I've only shot at On Target and the AGC range and no one has ever bothered me at either place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom