First experience with Hornady LnL (rant)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore

ETA: 6/15/12
    Since I posted this I can say this is a very good press and my concerns below have been alleviated by tips and suggestions in this thread and with experience by using the press.

I've loaded 200 rounds with my single stage in an afternoon. With the LnL Progressive I loaded 17 rounds yesterday in 5 hours.

Lots of little things; The Lee sizing/depriming die doesn’t line up and the case needs a touch to get to line-up on entry every time. I blame the die, not the press. It didn’t act right on my single stage either.

Powder Metering Insert would stick at the bottom of the throw in the Case Activated Powder Drop . I know you can have problems if you don't remove the lube that comes with the packing, but I did that. This was a manufacturing slip-up. It's cast aluminum, so I just put the Dremel to it and solved that problem. Although a minor problem, it did cut a big chunk of time out to correct the problem by being delicate not to remove too much material.

The Case Activated Powder Drop NEVER dropped the same charge twice.

The primer tube jammed with 96 primers in it. You know that once that tube is full there is no way to retrieve those primers? Unscrew the outer shield, lift the inner tube and primers go everywhere. This happened twice...ugh. I got clever with rolled up tape as a way to collect the dozen primers left in and around the stage area that were too small for my fingers to reach. Actually, there was third time, but that was when I decided 5 hours was enough time trying to make the press work.

But wait, there is more...

The box that came from Midway was a bit banged up and some lose parts were scattered in the bottom. The spring for the primer shuttle was there, but I hadn't noticed that it was stretched out of shape, so it rarely pulled the shuttle into position, thus not priming a case…and when you put powder in a case with a hole in the bottom you have a big ass mess. That happened twice, too. Then when I manually took care of that it loaded ok, but several primers were loaded upside down. Akkkk!

I want to stick with this to figure out the kinks. some of this is just breaking in a new piece of equipment, but how long before I pick it up and throw it all the way to Kansas (Midway) is anyone’s guess.

Oh, be careful when your finished and empty the Case Activated Powder Drop with the baffle in it. If you forget it's there it will come sliding down and spill powder all over the table. :(

Last edited:

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    Wow, sorry to hear your struggling with your new press. Progreesive loading is a completely different animal and things go wrong in a hurry.
    I've been very happy with my Dillon and normally read/hear very good reviews of Hornady equipment.
    Hopefully Hornady customer service will get you straightened out.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I've loaded 200 rounds with my single stage in an afternoon. With the LnL Progressive I loaded 17 rounds yesterday in 5 hours.
    wow.. didnt have that issue when i started w/ my lnl

Lots of little things; The Lee sizing/depriming die doesn’t line up and the case needs a touch to get to line-up on entry every time. I blame the die, not the press. It didn’t act right on my single stage either.
    what are you loading?? handgun loads or rifle?? do you have the correct case plate?

Powder Metering Insert would stick at the bottom of the throw in the Case Activated Powder Drop . I know you can have problems if you don't remove the lube that comes with the packing, but I did that. This was a manufacturing slip-up. It's cast aluminum, so I just put the Dremel to it and solved that problem. Although a minor problem, it did cut a big chunk of time out to correct the problem by being delicate not to remove too much material.
    what powder are you using? extruded or flake type? i've noticed when i use extruded (varget) the powder dispenser will get stuck.
    The Case Activated Powder Drop NEVER dropped the same charge twice.
    just depends on what powder you use.. some are right on, and some are not.. i get very accurate metering w/ titegroup and unique.. not so much w/ varget or reloader 15

The primer tube jammed with 96 primers in it. You know that once that tube is full there is no way to retrieve those primers? Unscrew the outer shield, lift the inner tube and primers go everywhere. This happened twice...ugh. I got clever with rolled up tape as a way to collect the dozen primers left in and around the stage area that were too small for my fingers to reach. Actually, there was third time, but that was when I decided 5 hours was enough time trying to make the press work.
    never had good luck with other primers except cci.. winchesters always get the primer slide get stuck..

The box that came from Midway was a bit banged up and some lose parts were scattered in the bottom. The spring for the primer shuttle was there, but I hadn't noticed that it was stretched out of shape, so it rarely pulled the shuttle into position, thus not priming a case…and when you put powder in a case with a hole in the bottom you have a big ass mess. That happened twice, too. Then when I manually took care of that it loaded ok, but several primers were loaded upside down. Akkkk!
    nothing new there.. lol.. i seldom load and forget to prime.. oops.. and i have this press for couple of years!!:o
    I want to stick with this to figure out the kinks. some of this is just breaking in a new piece of equipment, but how long before I pick it up and throw it all the way to Kansas (Midway) is anyone’s guess.
    patience bud.. if you set up the kinks.. its a good loader.. i've loaded thousands with my lnl and love it.
    Oh, be careful when your finished and empty the Case Activated Powder Drop with the baffle in it. If you forget it's there it will come sliding down and spill powder all over the table. :(
    i just did that last night!! oops. i just leave the leftovers in the thing since i've been using the same powder for different loads..

oh.. search youtube.. (if i find it again) there is a guy did a couple little tips.. one was w/ the primer slide getting stuck.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    You know someone is going to say it, so it may as well be me.

You should hav gotten a Dillon.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Wow, sorry to hear your struggling with your new press. Progreesive loading is a completely different animal and things go wrong in a hurry.

That's why I tell newbs to start with a single stage press and not a progressive, but everyone here doesn't remember this when they start recommending Dillon progressive presses to beginners.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    That's why I tell newbs to start with a single stage press and not a progressive, but everyone here doesn't remember this when they start recommending Dillon progressive presses to beginners.

i do/did the same.. saw few videos on dillon and it seems more complicated switching from one caliber to another.. hence i went w/ lnl (hint hint mdeng.lol).

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    In the grand scheme of things, could have gone much worse.

Buy a heavy bag if you don't have one, sometimes it helps to be able to just punch the living shyt out of something at times - it works for me...

J.Brown

Apr 3, 2008
    Hampstead
    It takes patience.... Your trying to get measurements to .003 or so on 5 separate things all at the same time. Once you get it dialed in you'll love it.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    LNL

This is the first bad review that I've heard about the Hornady LNL.
    You must have a lemon.
    Your story sounds eerily similar to what my brother experienced with the Lee Loadmaster-he adjusted this and stoned that until he got it working but I doubt that he got even 17 loaded rounds the first week.
    He is an ace mechanic with all the tools and finally got it right, but he has comprehensive understanding of machinery. After watching his ordeal, I wouldn't attempt it.
    Good luck. Either you will get it right by persisting or Hornady will help you out. I would be careful with that Dremel, it is difficult to replace metal.
    DocAitch

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Do yourself a favor and order Dillon dies, Their dies are manufactured for progressive press's and are much more user friendly.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    wow.. didnt have that issue when i started w/ my lnl

what are you loading?? handgun loads or rifle?? do you have the correct case plate?

I'm loading 9mm and using #8 shell plate that it calls for.

what powder are you using? extruded or flake type? i've noticed when i use extruded (varget) the powder dispenser will get stuck.

Winchester 231 ball powder. It has worked great RCBS powder measure. Might just need to be used/broken-in.

never had good luck with other primers except cci.. winchesters always get the primer slide get stuck..

I'm using CCI small pistol. Not sure why this would or even could happen. I hope it's not user error.

patience bud.. if you set up the kinks.. its a good loader.. i've loaded thousands with my lnl and love it.

I'm going to try and work things out. I've heard so many good things about it.

i just did that last night!! oops. i just leave the leftovers in the thing since i've been using the same powder for different loads..

There is no central air in the house just a window unit in that room. I don't want to leave any powder or primers in there when the AC isn't on. I guess I could just put the power measure in the safe ;)

oh.. search youtube.. (if i find it again) there is a guy did a couple little tips.. one was w/ the primer slide getting stuck.

will do. I'm sure it's just got some break in time and I'll be saying how good a press it is. Thanks!

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009

That is absolute true. I can't imagine not having the experience I do from the single stage. I'd probably be crying instead of a little whining

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    The color blue gives me a rash on my b*lls :lol2:

Just jerking your chain. Any progressive press will need fine adjustment. You learned on a single stage, which is the best way to get started.

It will take a little time to fine tune. Hang in there, you will get it.

Big_Leo

May 8, 2011
    hope my first time reloading won't be as hellish a nightmare as this. I've been advised to ease into the process with an single stage to start with, then when i get to the point where i can't get it wrong, to move to a progressive. bikebreath, i hope you make that press your b!tch by the end of the week, just keep pushin' through the crap dude.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    Just jerking your chain. Any progressive press will need fine adjustment. You learned on a single stage, which is the best way to get started.

It will take a little time to fine tune. Hang in there, you will get it.

Jerking yer chain right back. :D

I did consider Dillion's 550 and Square Deal and came close to getting one of them, but I wanted 5 stations on the press to crimp separately without going to the expense of a Dillon XL-650.

Mikey

May 19, 2009
    Ridge MD
    Bikebreath,

I recently got a LNL AP and it came with the Standard Rotor & Standard Metering Insert installed. Once I switched to the Pistol Rotor & Pistol Metering Insert (included w/press) my powder drops got much better. When I adjust my load, it takes me about twenty drops/measurements to get it dialed in, and then it is good to go until you touch it again.

P.S. I also use W231 in my LNL AP and it is a very well metering powder.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Jerking yer chain right back. :D

I did consider Dillion's 550 and Square Deal and came close to getting one of them, but I wanted 5 stations on the press to crimp separately without going to the expense of a Dillon XL-650.

Ya nothing cheap about a dillon. I have the 650 X 2. One set up for small primers one for large. The first was purchased 15 years ago and the second, last year. I hated changing the primer assy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom