• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doofoo

Dec 28, 2009
    I have a pile of lowers sitting in my safe, I was thinking about SBRing a couple of them. I'm having trouble getting the OAL right for a few of them.

To make things simpler, to start I intend to use a Magpul CTR or B5 SOPMOD stock.

I'm trying to stay above 29" OAL to avoid any future confusion with MD laws.

So far from what I have gathered online from others who have filed Form1's it looks like the following configuration would work:

Daniel Defense MK18 10.3"
    B5 SOPMOD Stock
    29.25" OAL

What I'm curious about is if I decide to go with say:

Bravo Company 11.5" ( Link )
    Magpul CTR or B5 SOPMOD Stock

Or say a 14.5" upper even. How can I calculate my OAL without just guessing, or just using what others say they have used online?

I don't have all the uppers, and won't for probably a few months. But I want to get things filed now since the wait is so long.

Do I really just need to be close? Is there a margin for error?

Suggestions?

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    How can I calculate my OAL without just guessing, or just using what others say they have used online?

I don't have all the uppers, and won't for probably a few months. But I want to get things filed now since the wait is so long.

Do I really just need to be close? Is there a margin for error?

Suggestions?

Determining OAL is a mixture of guessing and seeing what other people have said online. When I guessed mine, I used a stated SBR length from a manufacturer, then I compensated for barrel length. Obviously the stock set up was difference hence why my actual OAL was off by a bit.

My set up
    7.5" barrel
    Magpul CTR stock fully extended with the normal .30" butt pad. On a 6 position buffer tube
    End to end of barrel threads = 26" I wrote on my form 1, 27" OAL.

so basically any barrel 10.5 and up will get you to the 29" mark. This is a good general measurement to go by. In honesty the only varying length is buffer tube/stock set up.
    Since barrel length will always be known/stated and upper receiver length is always constant. Some stock brands may list length of stock or even Length of Pull/Position (LOP).

doofoo

Dec 28, 2009
    First SBR - Suggestions from those of you who've had a few.

Would you suggest 10.3" DD MK18, or something a little longer say 11.5" - Or both?!

willandtestament

Jan 14, 2011
    Mk18 for your first is a safe choice. Top two are mk18's mod0 and mod1. Bottom two are recce and mk12. I like crane stuff.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      95.1 KB · Views: 1,617

anderson76

Feb 16, 2013
    The correct answer is both.

Assuming all other things are equal, the 11.5 incher should cycle more reliable than a 10.5 gun because of increased dwell time. That is not to say that a 10” inch uppers wont run reliably. The MK18 is a solid choice.

Not long ago I was faced with the same decision. Fortunately, my buddy let be put some rounds through his 10.5, 11.5, and 12.5 uppers. The blast, flash, and concussion coming from the 10.5 barrel was far more pronounced.

I ended up going with a 12” upper for my first sbr. That said it wont be to long until I pick up a 10 incher – just cuz. Like I said, the correct answer is to get both.

doofoo

Dec 28, 2009
    The correct answer is both.

Assuming all other things are equal, the 11.5 incher should cycle more reliable than a 10.5 gun because of increased dwell time. That is not to say that a 10” inch uppers wont run reliably. The MK18 is a solid choice.

Not long ago I was faced with the same decision. Fortunately, my buddy let be put some rounds through his 10.5, 11.5, and 12.5 uppers. The blast, flash, and concussion coming from the 10.5 barrel was far more pronounced.

I ended up going with a 12” upper for my first sbr. That said it wont be to long until I pick up a 10 incher – just cuz. Like I said, the correct answer is to get both.

Yeah I think I'm going the same route.. :) I just need to decide which other lowers I want to use for the Form 1, function check and submit.

doofoo

Dec 28, 2009
    Just noticed this charge on my CC. I submitted a Form 1, verified it's a form1 but the charge says:

02/13 Pending ATF FORM 7CR $200.00

Anyone else see it showing up as a charge for ATF FORM 7CR (C&R Form)? Must just be another bug in the system?

matt_yamaha_guy_450

Jun 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Just noticed this charge on my CC. I submitted a Form 1, verified it's a form1 but the charge says:

02/13 PendingATF FORM 7CR$200.00

Anyone else see it showing up as a charge for ATF FORM 7CR (C&R Form)? Must just be another bug in the system?

Not sure if this question has been answered but since the $200.00 will be charged to a credit card how exactly does the $200.00 come out of our trust's bank account for the stamp or is there an exception when using the e-form system? I have only purchased 1 nfa item and that stamp was paid for via check out of the nfa account.

Thanks for the help!

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Not sure if this question has been answered but since the $200.00 will be charged to a credit card how exactly does the $200.00 come out of our trust's bank account for the stamp or is there an exception when using the e-form system? I have only purchased 1 nfa item and that stamp was paid for via check out of the nfa account.

Thanks for the help!

Some trust checking accounts allow you to get a check card. However, there isn't really a need to do so, and a personal credit card is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom