.22LR, where is it AND WHY IS IT SO HARD TO FIND?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cww

Jan 28, 2010
    so the moral is some people are just lucky, some have plenty of time to drive around/call around, and some have more $ than brains to pay more than double the normal price , I'll just bide my time and pick up a couple hundred rounds every 6 months.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Our local paper had a gander mountain insert which make it look like that had plenty. I don't do business with gander so I've not been in the store.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I scored 1400 rounds for $90.05 with tax. $0.0643 a round I guess isn't too bad. I don't need it enough to go to $0.10 a round. It was $20.00 more than I like to spend for .22 lr., but couldn't pass it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    "We will hang the capitalists with the rope that they sell us." -arguably Stalin

I have no problem with people selling .22 for whatever price they want. And for all we know, it was high-end Eley or other high-performance round.

I'm not selling my 22LR for 10 cents a round because having the rounds at my disposal is worth more than that to me.

What bothers me is people/distributers not selling to Boy Scouts and youth shooting teams at a price that allows some profit and is still affordable.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I refuse to pay those prices. Had a guy at Chantilly try to sell me a 525 box of Winchester for 60 bucks and I laughed at him. When he told me "You won't find it any cheaper in here today" I cheerfully told him "That's ok, I won't buy anything from them either." As long as people are willing to pay 60-90 bucks for this ammo, the price will stay high. I am not and hope others too will eventually say enough is enough. Let's drop the demand so the supply is affected and the prices go back down.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I just got notice that Midway is shipping a backordered Remington 525 pack. Only downside is I'm paying $17 to ship a $22 box of ammo.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I'm still sitting on my 5k round backorder from Sportsmans Guide that is supposed to ship in April. 2 months down, a few more to go....

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    "We will hang the capitalists with the rope that they sell us." -arguably Stalin

I have no problem with people selling .22 for whatever price they want. And for all we know, it was high-end Eley or other high-performance round.

I'm not selling my 22LR for 10 cents a round because having the rounds at my disposal is worth more than that to me.

What bothers me is people/distributers not selling to Boy Scouts and youth shooting teams at a price that allows some profit and is still affordable.

I'd say you're contradicting yourself here. And gloating over a sale is no virtue. Though $.11 a round is about what Dicks sells CCI and Win for so not too out of line. I can't imagine anyone selling high end ammo for that price though. If I had the money and wanted a one stop buy I'd have had paid that price.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    so the moral is some people are just lucky, some have plenty of time to drive around/call around, and some have more $ than brains to pay more than double the normal price , I'll just bide my time and pick up a couple hundred rounds every 6 months.

This:thumbsup:

I consider myself here in Baltimore County to be lucky to be within a 20 min drive of 5 WM"s and 30 min of 4 more. I do pay close to $.08 for Mini mags with tax but not more than 5-6 cents for any other brand. Just bide my time and it pops up. Others are not so lucky. I feel for the people who live in the sticks or out west where there may be 1 gun shop in an hours drive. They are stuck with whatever they can get. Those sellers who gloat over what they sold for I find annoying.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I'd say you're contradicting yourself here. And gloating over a sale is no virtue. Though $.11 a round is about what Dicks sells CCI and Win for so not too out of line. I can't imagine anyone selling high end ammo for that price though. If I had the money and wanted a one stop buy I'd have had paid that price.

I was more referring to Olympic-grade Eley and similar brands which commonly sells for $20+ per 50 rounds, not CCI or household brands.

I never said gloating about a sale was a virtuous or smart thing to do. All I'm saying is I could see that being a fair price for the ammo depending on what it is. High-end stuff is what's most likely to be on the shelves these days.

And it's smart business/capitalism (and being a decent person in this case) to get the youth interested in the products you sell. Easy way to do this is sell them the product at a price they can afford. If a kid doesn't pick up shooting, chances are s/he will never pick it up as adult and you're left with one less customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    How exactly was anyone screwed? If someone agree's to pay a price then that's their decision. Apparently this is still something many around here still fail to understand....:sad20:

Oh, maybe by taking advantage of desperate people.

It is called profiteering.

Chevyman85

Feb 14, 2013
    DoCo
    Oh, maybe by taking advantage of desperate people.

It is called profiteering.

Apparently your one of the ones who just refuse to understand get it. No one was screwed, taken advantage of or anything else you want to call it. The person buying the ammo made a conscious decision to pay the sellers price. They also had the option to buy online or at Bass Pro, Walmart etc for a cheaper price. While supply still hasn't quite met demand, .22 can be found at normal prices with fairly minimal effort these days. No one is being forced to buy at inflated prices.

Only when someone is forced to buy at an inflated price with no other options can you start bitching about gouging, screwing or taking advantage of people.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    I don't think I'd use the word "desperate" to describe someone buying ammo to use for a hobby.

But that's just me.

if I am out on a Thursday I will be desperate as the old saying goes a happy wife is a happy life.

No 22 ammo my wife will not be happy :D

Molly's had a ton of it on Sunday 45 bucks for a box of 525 no limit

jneuberth29

Apr 7, 2013
    Eldersburg, Carroll County
    Geeze, i was just simply asking where .22 went, not the price of it. Once you start talking about cost, people get all sensitive. .22 dissapeared in my store for over a month, recently it popped up, ironically a few days after making the thread.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Apparently your one of the ones who just refuse to understand get it. No one was screwed, taken advantage of or anything else you want to call it. The person buying the ammo made a conscious decision to pay the sellers price. They also had the option to buy online or at Bass Pro, Walmart etc for a cheaper price. While supply still hasn't quite met demand, .22 can be found at normal prices with fairly minimal effort these days. No one is being forced to buy at inflated prices.

Only when someone is forced to buy at an inflated price with no other options can you start bitching about gouging, screwing or taking advantage of people.

If I happen to get lucky at WM and pick up a box of M22 it costs me ~ $54, get it elsewhere, a few dollars more with shipping.

It also costs me whatever fuel I burn and however much time I spend.

If I didn't have any, couldn't find any in a store, and needed it, I'd willingly pay someone more for it. I wouldn't expect to pay the $54 that I could "potentially" get it for.

I have a good amount of 22, and it's not for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom