• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    I have an adult friend who needs a firearm-looking prop for an upcoming stage production. I'm the only gun nut in the circle of friends, so he's asked to borrow one of mine. It's fine if the pistol doesn't operate, doesn't need to fire blanks or anything, it's just for visuals on stage and will be returned to me after the show.

Is there anything legally prohibiting me from pulling the firing pin from a semiautomatic handgun and lending it to a friend for this purpose? I trust that he'll be transporting it appropriately, and maintaining control of it onstage and behind the scenes, but are there any additional regulations that he/I should be aware of to do this legally and wisely?

I will have to tell him of MD transport laws...
    I'll have him sign something to take responsibility if it's stolen/used...
    Any other caveats to cover my assets?

... or better yet, does anyone have a fake (yet real-enough-looking for stage use) pistol that he could borrow? We've been friends for 3+ years now. I can give you all the background you need on his acting career, etc to help assuage any concerns you may have about legitimacy.

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    As soon as I hit "Post", I thought about the old BB pistol I have that doesn't work, even if I wanted it to! So skip the part about lending me/him a lookalike, but I'm still interested in the legal/sane answer in the above question.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I'd go with the BB pistol, or tell him to use an Airsoft replica pistol (Walmart, $20-$50), simply because if it's lost, misplaced, or stolen, you are going to have a headache explaining it to the police, who may or may not be very understanding of your plight.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Novus will chime in about a MD court ruling that you can loan a regulated firearm but my issue as pointed out by Half-cocked, is security for the gun. You also have to worry about what if a stage hand has a criminal history or a restraining order.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Ok....this is a long one.

Loaning is ok if you do not know they are prohibitted persons.
    Transporting is a problem generally because going to the play is probably not one of the permitted locations/functions. BUt to make it worse, if he is in a public place then it could technically be a violation of 4-203 just possessing it if it is not in an enclosed holster (and unloaded)...HOWEVER!...if he is a part of the play AND a supervisory employee whom the manager has given permission to, then that should be allowable under 4-203 for him to possess out of a holster.

There is some case law about inoperable handguns and about 4-203 (or the older code with similar wording) no longer applying, but the key words IIRC is "easily restored" to be able to shoot, so just removing the firing pin does not make 4-203 no longer apply as I understand it because it can be easily restored to shoot by adding an easily gotten part.

BUt the way around the handgun problem is not just a blank (but watch out because some blank firing pistols are still "handguns") or an airsoft or a BB gun, but an antique is another way to go. A newly made cap and ball revolver or a handgun made before 1899 are not restricted by 4-203. If you want to borrow an antique handgun, I have plenty and to be even safer, I have some completely non-functioning ones that could not be fired even if loaded.

CKOD

Jan 30, 2009
    Definitely use an airsoft, pick up a cheapie clear plasic one from wal-mart and a can of krylon fusion. If wear from handling is an issue, you can try painting the *inside* of the clear plastic first, see how the results are, and give that a shot. If they arent satisfactory, then just paint the outside.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Agreed. Decent airsoft guns can be had for $20-30 (including full black ones unlike the clear ones at wal-mart.

95% of them look totally "real" (especially to the untrained eye) past 5 feet, which works well for stage production. Magazines can be loaded, actions racked, dry fired, etc. safely without any worries.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Agreed. Decent airsoft guns can be had for $20-30 (including full black ones unlike the clear ones at wal-mart) online from many sites. Check eBay, AirSplat, AirsoftGI, etc.

95% of them look totally "real" (especially to the untrained eye) past 5 feet, which works well for stage production. Magazines can be loaded, actions racked, dry fired, etc. safely without any worries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom