• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am looking for a holster for a battle belt setup.

Since a pistol is secondary, I would like something that covers a good bit of the pistol for protection of it. But a reasonable draw. Also GOOD retention.

It could be a for a number of choices of pistol (and may want to change from one to another at times), so need a model that is available for different pistols.

Also, suggestions for battle belt setup and gear in general are solicited. There was a thread on battle belts, but I can't find it right now.

Paige

Jan 30, 2008
    Look at the Safariland ALS, it's what I use for 3-gun. Without hitting the thumb lever, the gun is NOT coming out, but it's way faster than a hood.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I heard so much controversy over the Serpa holster, I found a good deal and bought a couple, and assessories to try it in multiple configurations. I don't like it for cc, but do feel with adequate training it is an excellent duty or open carry holster. Would probably be great for your application.

As far as a battle belt, check out Ares Armour or some of the other reputable smaller companies like Viking or Daniel Defense. Blackhawk started like them, but then got huge; they still make a lot of great gear.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I haven't seen anything holster wise that isn't model specific and worth a damn.

Box o holsters

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    I second the safariland als with thumb lever. I just used one in a class and my quickest draw was 1.3 seconds. And at one point we were rolling around on the ground and the pistol did not come out of the holster

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Safariland SLS. Thumb driven retention and a hood. Used by a buncha SWAT cops.
    Its also a bit better than the holster that cannot-be-named because the locking system is on the interior side of the weapon and less susceptible to the retention mechanism being clogged with debris.
    Alternatively you can use a flapped USGI mag pouch and stuff in most common pistols albeit attaching a weaponlight enhances the retention.
    Easy button here.

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/hsgiwarbeltbundle-1.aspx#.VUTae8nD-BY

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I haven't seen anything holster wise that isn't model specific and worth a damn.

Box o holsters

Just to be specific, I am not looking for one holster for multiple pistols, but one MODEL that I can get several of to fit the different pistols.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    One of the problems I've run into when looking for holsters is some holsters aren't available for the pistol I'm trying to use. The Serpa is available for a standard 1911 and a Ruger SR9, but not available for a CZ-75 or a double-stack 1911. Safariland has a nice holster for my CZ-75 and GP100, but none for the SR9. But I do believe both companies make connectors for MOLLE mounts. And there are MOLLE attachments for stuff like magazines and shell holders.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    One of the problems I've run into when looking for holsters is some holsters aren't available for the pistol I'm trying to use. The Serpa is available for a standard 1911 and a Ruger SR9, but not available for a CZ-75 or a double-stack 1911. Safariland has a nice holster for my CZ-75 and GP100, but none for the SR9. But I do believe both companies make connectors for MOLLE mounts. And there are MOLLE attachments for stuff like magazines and shell holders.

Excellent point.

So to better help one another, a better question might be what's the best holster for this specific pistol (accessories, etc.) and purpose (HD, CCW, 3-Gun, IDPA, etc.). Unfortunately the OP is asking about the best holster for purpose, that he might buy multiple copies for various pistols. Not so easy, hence why he's asking. Bravo.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Blackhawk serpa you can get the quick detach system they have. You would have to get a holster for each pistol. Watch nutnfancy's YouTube video on this. He also does Bladetech too. I have a serpa for my XDm altought it's for the XD.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I would go with Safariland as a first choice. They have holsters for tons of pistols and offer hoods, ALS, SLS, combos, etc.

As a second choice I would go with the military flap holster. Between the UM 84 and UM 92, most pistols will fit.

I would steer in the other direction from a Serpa. They don't cover a ton of your gun, can lock up if you get debris behind the button, and the position of the button has caused at least a few people to shoot themselves in the leg. No big-name instructor I know of even allows their use in class, much less would recommend them.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    For Safariland, exactly which one?

There are a number of ALS and SLS holsters.

Paige

Jan 30, 2008
    For Safariland, exactly which one?

There are a number of ALS and SLS holsters.

The ones Brennan and I use are the 7TS, we had ALS holsters but they weren't for 5" M&P's and the 7TS were cheaper when we bought new ones.

Ours are mounted on our ELS belts (competition belts) with their holster attachment, I think it's a QLS? And they're mounted on drop brackets also from Safariland.

Our old ALS holsters were on Tekloks with Bladetech drop and offset brackets.

IgotAgun

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 20, 2015
    Gcode is probably the best for your particular setup. You have to wait a few weeks to receive it though.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Gcode looks good, but doesn't have models for some of the pistols I would want to use.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    BTW i've bought two custom kydex off eBay. One shipped asap had it in less than a week. Another I got for a friend had it in two. I would recommend them over my earlier serpa post. The cost was super low. My 229r was $40 and the other was $45. Look just like bravo and raven kydex. Same .08 material and no up charge for color. Also ordered a bravo for my brother CC 938 from bravo. It was sweet but $$ and had to wait like 2 months to get it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom