• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    As I have been doing with every candidate I encounter, I will give as unbiased a summary as I can about the conversation with Larry Hogan from Aug 20...

At the Tim Walters event tonight, Minuteman and I managed to get some time with Hogan, and really get to talk 2A.

We talked about several issues, but the short of it is that he is with us. He is as upset with the infringements as we are, and believes that--if inroads aren't made in the election--we will be subjected to additional onerous limits on the Right.

The big thing he asked of Maryland Gun Owners, is to bear with him. As suspected, this is part of a careful process. He understands that as soon as he mentions something pro-2A, the Brownies will come back with something completely ludicrous... "See! Hogan wants assault weapons and cop-killer boolits in the hands of the mentally ill, to kill kids in schools!" So, he's keeping it honest, but close to the vest.

He did mention that he would love to be able to answer the barrage on Facebook with real details, but for now he needs to be more circumspect and asks our indulgence. It would probably be a good thing, as we talk to our friends and neighbors, to let them know this is not a problem, and he's aware of our concerns.

Now the REALLY good news...

Hogan does understand the key issues we would like to see addressed, and mentioned them before we could.

I'll keep everyone posted as I hear more. I'm sure MM will have more to say on this, but I came away very comforted about his position and commitment to keeping 2A issues as part of his overall plan.

Last edited:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I came here to start this thread; good thing I did a search first.

Thanks Mr. H for starting it.

Larry Hogan gave a great speech, and he was there just to support Tim Walters for Delegate in District 32. There were several of us pro-2A folks and Tim gave us a shout-out; he definitely represents our interests. Tim told a story about swimming in an elimination event at Navy Divers school. He described how he and another strong swimmer were helping another classmate, a much weaker swimmer as they completed a long difficult swim. The instructors called Tim in and told him that it was an elimination, and it was not Tim's place to decide who passed. Tim related how that was a valuable lesson for him, and it applies to life - it's ok to help people, but people have to be able to help themselves and pull their own load - otherwise, if you 'pass everyone' it will hurt the stronger swimmers, and ultimately hurt everyone. There should be a safety net, but everyone should have some skin in the game and be a contributing member of society. (my words, but what I inferred from Tim's speech).

I was very surprised that Larry gave the small circle of us 'gun guys' so much of his time - 20 minutes sounds about right; and it was a very fast paced, loud, and brutally honest 20 minutes. I completely agree with Mr. H, Larry really - truly understood the issues, and he said two things that I repeated to him: The governor picks the MD State Police Superintendent, and he would pick a much more open minded SuperIntendent; this alone will have a tremendous positive impact on the morale of the MDSP, and be a great help to those of us in the 'law-abiding' class of citizens in having issues addressed. The second thing Larry said was that he would insist that 'Good and Substantial' was defined. Of all the 2A issues he spoke too, I repeated these back too him and said these would make the biggest and most immediate impact [on normal citizens who deserve carry permits to protect themselves]; and Larry said "We need Shall Issue". I didn't let him escape without recounting how Ehrlich said similar things and never actually pushed the ball for us. Larry seemed very realist and related that of all the problems Maryland was facing, he was going to address Maryland's fiscal issues as a higher priority first. But he said again, replacing the current Superintendent would happen immediately, when he is elected. And even Democrats understand that its just wrong to not define G&S, and we should have instant checks to ensure felons and the seriously mentally ill can not purchase firearms. Larry also mentioned several provisions of SB281, that could likely be amended or removed; like round limits, banning specific guns, and 'evil looking' cosmetic features that do nothing. A lot of this is my interpretation of what Larry was saying, a good bit of the conversation, there were several of us, including Larry all talking at the same time. The main point is, at this point before the election, talking about guns in publicly is only going to give his opponents more ammo (pun intended). Larry was very knowledgeable of the important gun issues and promised to support our community. He specifically ok'ed Mr. H and I to share his sentiment on these issues, and asked us to let the gun owners of Maryland know where he stood. I was really surprised he didn't just gloss over the issues, like I have seen Ehrich do in person - during a private (but large meeting) at AGC. Ehrich essentially said, I know I have your vote because the alternative is terrible, even if I don't advance your cause. He was right, I'll give him that, but Larry Hogan went further and said he was with us. For the record - no one wants criminals, or the seriously mentally ill to have guns; we are all disgusted at these few but sensationalized mass shootings, and there is no such thing as a cop killer bullet. I mention this because Larry said this is how they are attacking him, when they say he's pro-gun. Larry knows right from wrong, and preventing law abiding citizens the ability to defend themselves from criminals is wrong. Again, my words, but Larry's sentiment.

I hope that's enough information about Larry for now, there was a lot discussed in that huddle, and there were other people waiting to speak with Larry all around about other issues, but he made it a point of talking to us (about a half dozen MDShooters members); for longer than I saw him speak with anyone else. It was almost like he wanted to get it off his chest, why he doesn't say more on Facebook or in interviews - it's just one of a few hot button issues that can hurt him more than helping him.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Not to harp, but I wonder where we heard this before and everyone was "Where is this in print from Hogan" and "why are we hearing this from you and not Hogan?"

Just sayin'

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I just want to hear him say. Personal defense is good and substantial reason.

Although, this is not in the WC so its out there for the world to see.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Not to harp, but I wonder where we heard this before and everyone was "Where is this in print from Hogan" and "why are we hearing this from you and not Hogan?"

Just sayin'

Understand... As does he...

But, as I said, this is simply because he'd rather not put any additional fodder out there than absolutely necessary.

I suspected it was a hold-the-cards strategy from the start, and he pretty much confirmed it.

Look at it this way... He doesn't feel it will help right now, as much as it will hurt in the bigger picture. I don't think it helps us to beat him over the head for it, and he said he appreciates "our" frustration.

Just the messenger here...

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Because Hogan can't put it in print, thats just what Brown and the liberal media are waiting for. Hogan has a real chance to win as long as he keeps on the taxing, spending, productive citizens and business leaving the state message.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Because Hogan can't put it in print, thats just what Brown and the liberal media are waiting for. Hogan has a real chance to win as long as he keeps on the taxing, spending, productive citizens and business leaving the state message.

This came up as well, though it wasn't the focus of the conversation... but you have the gist of it.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Understand... As does he...

But, as I said, this is simply because he'd rather not put any additional fodder out there than absolutely necessary.

I suspected it was a hold-the-cards strategy from the start, and he pretty much confirmed it.

Look at it this way... He doesn't feel it will help right now, as much as it will hurt in the bigger picture. I don't think it helps us to beat him over the head for it, and he said he appreciates "our" frustration.

Just the messenger here...

Again, something I said after we had a meeting with him.

This is basically a repeat of the information I put out back in April.

Just sayin'

Mr H

Banana'd
    Guys...

No bickering, please...

I'm just reporting and advocating for our needs, here!!

I came away buoyed by his willingness to work for us, and the minute details of the conversation can't be conveyed through the written word.

oldman12

Ultimate Member
    Sep 19, 2010
    "Merrica" Eastern Camp

Uh,yea. Our 2a rights are very important ,but these tax high M F Er's need to go.Brown like Owe Mao will tax us to oblivion ,not to mention coddle the criminals, while taking our rights. All Liberals need to go!!!

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Maybe this thread should disappear so the interlopers won't find it.

Thats what I find interesting. He isnt stupid he would know this info would go public. Why could he not just put something on fb like our nedt msp super will be friendlier to the 2a. Not cite examples but show that he really means it and isnt hiding or saying crap to get votes only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom