Can a relative from Texas give me a handgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jisham

Mar 12, 2014
    PG County
    My mother in law from Texas is in town. Last night at dinner, she mentioned she has an old Raven .22 pistol that's been fired one time. Is there any way for her to just give it to me? And if so, would I have to drive there and back to get it vs. being shipped? I know this is probably common knowledge but I'm very new to shooting at all. Thanks in advance.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    It is a transfer over state lines, not to mention the firearm in question is a handgun. The transfer needs to be done through a Maryland FFL and if the pistol isn't a C&R you will need to have the HQL to take possession of it.

jisham

Mar 12, 2014
    PG County
    It is a transfer over state lines, not to mention the firearm in question is a handgun. The transfer needs to be done through a Maryland FFL and if the pistol isn't a C&R you will need to have the HQL to take possession of it.

I do have an HQL so that isn't an issue. Can she ship it to the FFL? Thanks for the help.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    You should make sure its on the MSP approved roster. Check here https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...Division/MainLicensingPage/HandgunRoster.aspx unless for some reason (age) its exempt? A C&R guy might be able to help with that. If it is on the roster, call the FFL and get an okay (they may also be able to tell you if its on the roster) before your have her ship it to them, after it arrives go in with your HQL for your paperwork, wait 7 days and pick up on 8th. The mag should be less than 10 rounds so that's not a problem, but tell her not to include any ammo when shipping.

For some reason I think the Ravens didn't make the cut and onto the roster :innocent0

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I do have an HQL so that isn't an issue. Can she ship it to the FFL? Thanks for the help.

She should be able to, yes. You should call the FFL and ask them for the go-ahead before you send anything to them. I believe there are shipping restrictions on handguns as well so look in to those closely

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    She should be able to, yes. You should call the FFL and ask them for the go-ahead before you send anything to them. I believe there are shipping restrictions on handguns as well so look in to those closely

• Only FFLs can send handguns via USPS;
    • Non-FFLs must use common carrier;
    • Both Fedex and UPS require overnight shipping.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I also believe a handgun has to be FFL to FFL when crossing state lines.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo

Questions #3 and #16: https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons

Relevant quote:
    Please note that if a private person wants to obtain a firearm from a private person who resides in another State, the firearm will have to be shipped to an FFL in the buyer’s State. The FFL will be responsible for record keeping. See also Question B3.

It doesn't have to be FFL to FFL...but the receiving FFL might want it to come from another FFL.

jisham

Mar 12, 2014
    PG County
    Excellent info. Thanks everyone. Sounds like next step is to speak with my preferred dealer about the process and the handgun model in particular. BTW, she bought it new in 1994.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Must go through an FFL because of state lines.

Your dealer can answer if he will accept shipments from non-ffl's. Some do, some don't.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown

Nope. Only the receiving party. I've shipped guns I've sold through gunbroker. The only restriction is to ship by the correct means to an FFL who will do the paperwork. Only FFLs can ship via the post office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Does it need to be on the Handgun Roster? It is not a sale.

Its a transfer thru an ffl who can't do it if its not on the roster unless they want lose they license and maybe go to jail?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    B. Except as provided in §C of this regulation, a person may not manufacture for distribution or sale any handgun that is not included on the Handgun Roster compiled by the Board. A person may not sell or offer for sale in the State a handgun manufactured after January 1, 1985, that is not on the Handgun Roster. Compliance with the provisions of this section is not required until January 1, 1990.

The law only says sale or manufacture for sale. Not transfer.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013

Its a transfer thru an ffl who cprobably can't/wont do it if its not on the roster unless they want risk losing their license?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Its a transfer thru an ffl who can't do it if its not on the roster unless they want lose they license and maybe go to jail?
    The law only says sale or manufacture for sale. Not transfer.
    Interesting catch, Pinecone...
    Maryland Code, Public Safety 5-406 Current as of: 2010 | Check for updates | Other versions (a) (1) Except as provided in § 5-402 of this subtitle, a person may not manufacture for distribution or sale a handgun that is not included on the handgun roster in the State. (2) A person may not sell or offer for sale in the State a handgun manufactured after January 1, 1985, that is not included on the handgun roster. (3) A person may not manufacture, sell, or offer for sale a handgun on which the manufacturer’s identification mark or number is obliterated, removed, changed, or otherwise altered. (b) The Secretary may seek an order from a circuit court to permanently or temporarily enjoin the willful and continuous manufacture, sale, or offer for sale, in violation of this section, of a handgun that is not included on the handgun roster. (c) (1) A person who manufactures a handgun for distribution or sale in violation of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $10,000 for each violation. (2) A person who sells or offers to sell a handgun in violation of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $2,500 for each violation. (3) For purposes of this subsection, each handgun manufactured, sold, or offered for sale in violation of this subsection is a separate violation.
    Doesn't include any language about transfers in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom